Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Who stocks Meopta bins in the UK?

Old Wednesday 28th March 2007, 15:41   #1
matt green
Drunken Hearted Man

Who stocks Meopta bins in the UK?

I've just been putting together a list of mid price roofs and started thinking about these Meoptas, trouble is even some of the best stocked dealers don't always have even the most popular brands so hunting down a relative newcomer for demonstration is quite difficult.

Following leicas price increase and the fact that secondhand models are not always available when you have sufficient funds I've put together the following list of midpriced binocs for consideration

Minox BR AD 7x42/8.5x42
Minox Highgrade 8.5x43
Swarovski 8x30
Meopta meostar 7x42/8x42

Particularly impressed with the meostar's spec - close focus, field of view etc
wondering how they might compare with the little swaro's and the new minox highgrades?

Matt

Last edited by matt green : Wednesday 28th March 2007 at 22:06.

BF Supporter 2007 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Wednesday 28th March 2007, 15:53   #2
mook

Hi Matt,

Sherwoods Photo stock Meopta.....link below.....have never tried the Meostars, but as you know from comments on BF they are well regarded for their price.

http://www.sherwoods-photo.com/meopt...oculars_fs.htm

Cheers,

Mook.
Old Wednesday 28th March 2007, 16:12   #3
matt green
Drunken Hearted Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by mook
Hi Matt,

Sherwoods Photo stock Meopta.....link below.....have never tried the Meostars, but as you know from comments on BF they are well regarded for their price.

http://www.sherwoods-photo.com/meopt...oculars_fs.htm

Cheers,

Mook.
Cheers Mook

They're definately within budget, when the time comes I'm hoping I can try them all out side by side somewhere in norfolk (hopefully at cleyspy!)

Matt

Old Thursday 12th April 2007, 10:54   #4
NoSpringChicken

I was looking at the morrisphoto site and remembered this thread. I didn't realise they sell Meopta binoculars.

http://www.morrisphoto.co.uk/Product...oryid~164.html

I bought a pair of Opticron compacts from this company and their service was very good.

Ron

BF Supporter 2010 2011 2012 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Thursday 12th April 2007, 13:51   #5
chartwell99

Matt[/quote]
Particularly impressed with the meostar's spec - close focus, field of view etc
wondering how they might compare with the little swaro's and the new minox highgrades?

The Meostars are a little on the heavy side for some people but are very nice binoculars indeed, and offer, in my subjective view, notably superior optical performance to both the Swaro 8 x 30's and Minox HG's, especially the now getting long in the tooth Swaros. Build quality is similar to all three. Current Meopta pricing in the U.S. makes the Meostar a remarkable bargain which I suspect will not continue indefinitely (reminds me somewhat of the way under market pricing on Merkel shotguns coming into the U.S. right after the collapse of East Germany).
Old Thursday 12th April 2007, 14:14   #6
FrankD

Quote:
Originally Posted by chartwell99
The Meostars are a little on the heavy side for some people but are very nice binoculars indeed, and offer, in my subjective view, notably superior optical performance to both the Swaro 8 x 30's and Minox HG's, especially the now getting long in the tooth Swaros. Build quality is similar to all three. Current Meopta pricing in the U.S. makes the Meostar a remarkable bargain which I suspect will not continue indefinitely (reminds me somewhat of the way under market pricing on Merkel shotguns coming into the U.S. right after the collapse of East Germany).
A big fat "ditto" on Chartwell's comments with regards to the Meoptas. If you can get past their 30 oz weight then the rest of the bins are very, very good. The optical quality is right up there with the top of the line bins and they are built like the "proverbial" Trinovid.
Old Thursday 12th April 2007, 14:22   #7
matt green
Drunken Hearted Man

Thanks for the feedback everyone, very interesting

I'm at present awaiting delivery of some secondhand 8x32 trinovids, should have been delivered days ago so may actualy be lost in the post somewhere by now ..aaargh!!

..in which case I shall still be on the market for some mid priced roofs

Matt

Old Friday 13th April 2007, 22:05   #8
Richard Scott

Matt,

Birdnet Optics sell Meopta bins. www.birdnet.co.uk
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: