• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Recent Cardinal Sightings (1 Viewer)

Swampworks

I live in South Louisiana and recently I've been seeing a group of Cardinals around my house. Its mid-summer and I dont remember seeing Cardinals around here during this time of year before (maybe I am wrong). Seems like I have seen them in cooler months only down here in the past. Am I wrong thinking this way? Should they normally be down here now?

I'm pretty new to the birding hobby.

According to Cornell Labs, the Northern Cardinal is a year long resident of Louisiana. Maybe their numbers are growing in your area so they can be seen easier.

Cardinals don't migrate, so wherever they are, they're there year round. However it isn't uncommon to see them more in winter, particularly around feeders. I know that I see them far more often in my yard in the winter, because in warm weather they have far more food sources and are not as inclined to visit feeders. That said, I still see several a week in my yard in summer.

They're moulting at this time of year, so they tend to keep a low profile as they can't fly so well.

Same applies to most small birds.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back