• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Gull, Portugal (1 Viewer)

michalb

Poland
Hello,
is this Larus fuscus (graellsii?) or L. michahellis? I'm thinking the former, as it had (the were a few of them in fact) a markedly darker mantle than the ubiquitous michahellis around. Do you agree?

Date: 14.03.2018

Attachments

• mewa561.jpg
    mewa561.jpg
    206.5 KB · Views: 50
I'd say larus fuscus intermedius - looks too dark for graellsi but not dark enough for nominate. Not michahellis. ..... but mantle colour can look very different with the light and photographic effects.

I'd say larus fuscus intermedius - looks too dark for graellsi but not dark enough for nominate. Not michahellis. ..... but mantle colour can look very different with the light and photographic effects.

You are right about the colours, and that's why I added info that it was significantly darker than obvious michahellis observed in the same place - actually the photo reflects the colour quite well in my opinion, based on what I saw.
As for the subspecies, L. fuscus seems to have become rather rare here in Poland lately, but the ones I saw some time ago were definitely darker than this one, virtually black. So I agree that this one is definitely not the nominate ssp. Both graellsii and intermedius are possible in Portugal, right?

Thanks for answering!

Both graellsii and intermedius are possible in Portugal, right?
Portugal is part of the main wintering range of graellsii (with a few breeding pairs also), and intermedius also common. L. f. fuscus (Baltic Gull) is very rare in the Iberian Peninsula, as almost all of the breeding population migrates to the SE.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back