• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

All Time Best Bird in Your Garden (Yard) (1 Viewer)

Hmmm... good question. I don't think I ever got anything particularly rare, but I did get my lifer Bay-breasted Warbler where I used to live. Now I live in an apartment... uhhh... House Sparrow? lol

In: nothing too startling - waxwing, brambling, tree sparrow, spot fly, redstart, woodcock ...
From: lesser yellowlegs, American golden plover, white-winged black tern, green-winged teal, honey buzzard, long-tailed skua, Sabine's gull, avocet, little egret, water pipit, smew, jack snipe ...

Rob

In: nothing too startling - waxwing, brambling, tree sparrow, spot fly, redstart, woodcock ...
From: lesser yellowlegs, American golden plover, white-winged black tern, green-winged teal, honey buzzard, long-tailed skua, Sabine's gull, avocet, little egret, water pipit, smew, jack snipe ...

Rob

Which reminds me... summer Plumage WWBlack Tern, whilst getting out the shower, was a good one.

Mine has to be the Kestrel. Came home 1 day to find a soaking wet Kestrel perched on the light by the front door. It stayed about for a few days giving me some great close up views before disappearing again.

Most interesting to me were the Crossbill family who came down from the trees to drink at the fountain one year. I occasionally catch a fleeting glimpse of one or another or hear them up in the firs at the back of the yard but rarely get a chance to photo them.

One of the funniest I ever had was a Heron who landed on the bird feeder about 8 ft up off the ground in '08.
First it had walked all round the fountain, hearing the water and looking low for its source, for the non existent fish, no doubt, these oft predators in people's ponds. It looked so stately and proud walking round that table, camera not properly turned on, then up it lifted onto the feeder, looking about and taking one lick of bird seed which it then tried to scrape off its tongue with the roof of its ....beak.
I did manage to get a few pics.
Goes to show...always keep your camera ready and always check it's on properly!

Attachments

• IMAGE01c9.JPG
    IMAGE01c9.JPG
    98.3 KB · Views: 39
  • IMAGE01c0Jan1108.JPG
    IMAGE01c0Jan1108.JPG
    44.4 KB · Views: 39
  • IMAGE01c1.JPG
    IMAGE01c1.JPG
    38.2 KB · Views: 31
  • IMAGE01c5.JPG
    IMAGE01c5.JPG
    41.2 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:
I also once had a whole flock of Waxwings descend for a bath in the fountain on the old picnic table with the three shallow pans cascading into each other til reaching the last big pot which held the pump and acted as reservoir.
There were about 30 of them flying in for a family splash.

I see them in June with their young, in the tops of the neighbouring cedar trees, hearing their thin calls. They have come for a bath two falls that I have seen them now, after a long dry summer.

Attachments

• snapshot(491).jpg
    snapshot(491).jpg
    69 KB · Views: 34
  • snapshot(492).jpg
    snapshot(492).jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 35
  • snapshot(579).jpg
    snapshot(579).jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 34
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back