• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Greenfinches (1 Viewer)

squidge

Wha Whassssat
I know that Trichomonosis has affected them alot but just been doing the birdwatch garden survey and I had two Greenfinches at my feeders at the beginning a few weeks ago but since then nothing, Even when out for a walk the other day not one, It will be interesting too see the numbers for Greenfinches when the Birdwatch and RSPB garden surveys finish. I reckon there will be a serious decline. Last year I had good numbers feeding in my garden. While writing this and looking at the numbers for all birds It looks like the cold weather had a big effect on all bird numbers. Ger.

I picked a dead one up in the garden yesterday, no obvious signs that it had been nobbled by anything or that it was sick but it was very thin.

Mark

Went over too have a look at the lesser Whitethroat and there were three Greenfinches there aswell. Happy too see them as I havent seen any about for weeks. Ger.

Plenty of Greenfinches round here. Been quieter last few days and only 6 in the garden count hour but there is an average of 15 that come daily here. Highest amount was 31 in December 2010.

Last edited:
Plenty of Greenfinches round here. Been quieter last few days and only 6 in the garden count hour but there is an average of 15 that come daily here. Highest amount was 31 in December 2010.

Squidge you may well be correct and only time will tell the full story, but I am in the same position as Dan as I still get good numbers here too.... a dozen daily with peaks of around 25 :t:

I have seen good numbers out and about my local patches also

Thats good to know that there are good numbers still around the place but just comparing last years overall bird numbers with this years and shockingly I'm getting only half the amount as last year. Hopefully it will be a good breeding season. Ger.

used to have lots of greenfinches in the garden in summer, but now they're gone. vanished.
heartbreaking to think the local population may have been hit by this disease :(

They used to be the most common bird in my garden but last August we found a couple of dead ones and since then we have had none until a couple of weeks ago when 1 male one started coming onto the feeder very briefly most days. He stayed away on the Birdwatch day though. I hope he finds a partner soon.;)

I have a flock of up to 10+ which can increase. Theyve joined forces with a large flock of up to 40+ goldfinches and 20+ chaffinches, We've always had greenies but theyve stopped coming to the feeders now. Maybe taking precautions against Trich

A flock of 8 flew into my garden early November and I was amazed! At least one or two kept returning up until 'xmas eve' then nothing. They have now been replaced by a significant number of Goldfinch, which are in abundance seemingly here. I'm amazed that with a flock of up to 25 Goldfinch regularly visiting my garden, not 1 Greenfinch has decided to tag along and venture in also (although chaffinch are a rarity in my garden as well). Goldfinches certainly seem to be the more common finch, at least in these parts, which was somewhat of a different story a decade ago.

Last edited:
We picked up at least 8 over a few weeks late summer that were all victims of this terrible disease. Its taken until now for numbers to build at the feeders again - still only just double figures.

We cleaned all the feeders and have been actually replacing them for new ones over the past few weeks as we find some decent offers on.
Our local garden centre has these as buy one get one free -

http://www.dobbies.com/Chapelwood-Ultimate-Seed-Feeder-4-Port-Jet-/pid-434875

I bought one of them feeders but had to return it, as I found the finches could not get their beaks in. No good for me!

Greenies in again today, didnt see much of the garden but at least 6 where around the feeders this afternoon when I looked.

Counted 13 today but several more were flying around, nightmare trying to count them all whilst they are squabbling lol but really love having them make their appearence!

We used to have large flocks of greenfinches in Cornwall but in the last few months we've had none at all. My friends haven't seen any in their gardens either. I used to love their song in the spring and it isn't the same without them.

Last few days there have been no more than 11 spotted at one time in my garden. The weather, or at least where I am in the South East, has become so much more milder and spring like, the buds of the early blossum are starting to open up, so numbers of finches certainly have gone down now, but nonetheless they are still around and have already made their start at singing!

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back