• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mallorca update request (1 Viewer)

Thanks Colin - that's brilliant. I've been trying to track down some details for GOB for ages and had no success until now - this must be an organisation that needs some support if Mallorca and the rest are going to remain important bird islands.

You mentioned the tourist boat to Cabrera - where does this leave from and at what times? Is it necessary to book in advance?

Thanks

Alf

(Happy to be in your buddy list; I didn't know they existed.)

Rock Thrush at Cuber

I visited Cuber last year between 27th April - 5th May and photographed Rock Thrush sitting in a tree near the waters edge. We had walked along the path from the car park and stopped near a stone heli-pad when we spotted the bird. At the dam we had Blue Rock Thrush.

We had no luck with Spectacled Warbler - is this still a good spot for this species?

I visited Cuber last year between 27th April - 5th May and photographed Rock Thrush sitting in a tree near the waters edge. We had walked along the path from the car park and stopped near a stone heli-pad when we spotted the bird. At the dam we had Blue Rock Thrush.

We had no luck with Spectacled Warbler - is this still a good spot for this species?

I don't think its been good for SW for a few years at Cuber. When I have had them in the past it was in the "classic" area of small trees & shrubs on the North side of the reservoir. It's also worth stopping for a while to watch what is flitting around in the small valley at the end.

I found Cuber to still be rewarding when I went last year - Black Stork in particular was worth the trip but also Black Vulture, Eleonara's Falcon, Red Kite and Tawny Pipit.

Stephen.

I don't think its been good for SW for a few years at Cuber. When I have had them in the past it was in the "classic" area of small trees & shrubs on the North side of the reservoir. It's also worth stopping for a while to watch what is flitting around in the small valley at the end.

Ooops - North/South, could never tell the difference!! I meant South of the reservoir, of course.

I'm on a 9am flight tomorrow and the weather forecast is looking good (although most of the really good birds I've seen in previous years were in bad weather) so I'm now looking forward to re-visiting the old haunts and, hopefully, finding some new ones.
I'll post some details when I get back.

Nick

I was around Albufera and Bocquer yesterday and things are certainly hotter in every respect. Bocquer: 12 Black kites, one Black stork, Honey buzzards,Booted eagle, Bee-eaters, Stone curlew,Osprey,Wood warbler, Pied Fly and nearby up to six Red-footed falcons. (apparently near Albufereta, not seen by us but three other groups all confirmed this.) Hope all you guys have a great time with lots of good birding. I will up- date next week from Cuber, hopefully Spectacled warbler and Rock thrush news!

Not much to up-date. Apparently there is a male Rock thrush at Cuber and there have been several reports of Roller from various locations. Euopean Nightjar are back on my patch at Mondrago Parc in the South East. Alpine swift breeding at Castell de Santueri near Felanix. I will post further news next week when I go back to Cuber and Albufera.

hi ,just back from my break,albufera is doing well as expected,all the EGRETS and HERONS you would expect ,a few raptors including RED-FOOTED FALCON,BOOTED EAGLE and lots of MARSH HARRIERS,GREAT REED ,MOUSTACHED CETTI,'S WARBLERS ,PURPLE GALLINUES with young ,RED KNOBBED COOT,WHISKERED,COMMON and GULLED BILLED TERNS about also,at the back end of the albufera -deprudora they have put high rised platforms which is great,l/stint b/w stilts ,little/r/plover and kentish.....wee also found a BLACK-NECKED GREBE in full summer plumage,the road leading up to the water works is very productive with SHORT-TOED LARK ,TAWNY PIPIT,HOOPOO ,BEE-EATER,FANTAILED WARBLERS and many FINCHES,its was raining mostly friday and saturday morning so wee went back to the water works just before wee left and got one FLAMING ,SQUACCO HERON and to PEACH-FACED LOVE BIRDS ,it was good else where as mike has said ,no sign of MARMORA'S WARBLER for us but other birders saw them,the egrets and night heron dont roost at the begining of the albufera any more and no sign of the scops owl at the guard de sivile at port de pollenca,.....

I've just returned with mixed feelings after a week in Mallorca - my first visit for 4 years. The first thing I noticed was the amount of new development which is ongoing. There has been a temporary relaxation of planning regulations and a lot of sites have "broken ground" in order to comply. Even in Cala san Vicente, where only new houses were once allowed, there are at least 4 new apartment blocks in progress. The same is true around Port de Pollensa, with some quite intrusive building on the hillside inland towards Pollensa and much more development around Boquer - even on the same side of the new by-pass as the farm. The fields at the foot of the valley now look quite isolated and Postage Stamp Wood has become a dumping ground and barbeque area. I wonder how much longer these areas can survive.
The motorway from Palma now extends almost to Alcudia (it used to stop at Inca) and virtually every village around Albufera (Sa Pobla, Muro, Sta Margalida, etc) now has a ring-road. The new road around Port de Pollensa to Formentor is also being extended to link up with the coast road south of the town.
On the plus side, Albufera is still a magnificent reserve, and for me the best birding is to be had around the "backroads" of Albufereta and around the Depuradora and disused saltpans south of Albufera.
Bird-wise, the week was pretty good although I think the good weather meant that migrants were passing straight through without hanging around. On previous visits we've certainly seen more migrant warblers, hirundines, flycatchers, chats etc. which just goes to show that every year is different.

We birded around Cala san Vicente every morning seeing Crossbills, Firecrests, Cirl buntings, Serins, Sardinian warblers, Pied and Spotted flycatchers, Willow and Wood warblers. Sadly the resident Scops owls have now moved out of the town, though we heard them further up the valley, and there were no Nightingales singing.
Boquer Valley was very quiet on our visit although we did see Honey buzzard and Eleonora's falcon, there were no Marmora's warbler and hardly any Crag martins.
Albufera produced all the usual suspects as well as Gull-billed tern and Marbled duck.
Down at the southern end of the Island we watched 4 fishing boats pass Cap ses Salines, all with good numbers of Audouin's gull, Cory's and Balearic shearwaters following. "Eddie's track" at the saltpans was flooded so we had to peer over the wall from the road for Avocet and Curlew sandpiper.
At Cuber we saw only one Black vulture (no Kites), Osprey, Subalpine warbler and Chiffchaff.
The best views of Booted eagle were at Alaro Castle, with Alpine and Pallid swifts there too.
Poor weather on Friday certainly brought the best birds with Black-necked grebe and Red-footed Falcon at Depuradora, Bee-eater, Nightingale and Woochat shrike at the old saltpans, and Golden oriole, Wryneck and Tree sparrow around the Albufereta back-roads.

So, as I say, mixed feelings but certainly a very enjoyable week once again.
Will I go again? ... you bet I will!

Nick

A friend of mine is off to Mallorca on Friday, so any further updates would be appreciated- particularly if they involve lingering Red-footed Falcons!

Cheers,

Stuart

I've always found the Marmora's at the seaward end of the Bocquer valley just before it slopes towards the small beach. There were 2-3 pairs there last May.

Trip reports here for anyone interested:

http://www.cornwall-birding.co.uk/trip-reports/mallorca-1st-14th-may-2007/
http://www.cornwall-birding.co.uk/trip-reports/mallorca-9th-14th-may-2007/
http://www.cornwall-birding.co.uk/t...st-to-4th-september-2007-a-short-trip-report/

Can't wait to get back again, i love the S'Albufera. I was very dissapointed with the Albufereta though. No access as far as i could see and no species that you can't see at S'Albufera.

I met a birder or two heading out of boquer as i went in who said there ws nothing about! I then had 4 BV's, 2 Booteds, and a load of Eleanora's as i entered the valley! I think people just expect to see birds at Boquer but it is actually quite hard work, the birds are there, you just have to put the effort in. The only Sp i found hard to see there last year was Crag Martin. I did eventually catch up with a douzen or so at the seaward end of the valley. Postage Stamp wood is not worth bothering with at all!

Well thanks for all the feedback guys. I'll be heading off on Saturday and the weather's not looking so good at present. What has happened to hot Mediterranean springs?

I think that I'll be concentrating on S'Albufera and Boquer, probably giving Cuber a miss this time. I've a late flight back so will visit the Salinas de Levante en route to Palma, although I'm tempted by a trip to Cabrera depending on the weather forecast. Does anyone try the Arta Mountains nowadays? I've never found the area to be so exciting in the past but have continued to live in hope.

Here's hoping I get past the 90 species mark for a change.

I'll give feedback on my return.

arta mountains are alright,crag martin,wryneck,thekla lark ,hope you have a nice trip,pm mike montier he will give you some information on whats about,i got 104 species in a week,

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back