• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Russian Darter (1 Viewer)

Andy Adcock

Worst person on Birdforum
Cyprus
I think that this is a Vagrant / Moustached Darter Sympetrum vulgatem rather than Common Darter Sympetrum striolatum?

Attachments

• rsz_20180814_184331.jpg
    rsz_20180814_184331.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 29
  • rsz_20180814_182303.jpg
    rsz_20180814_182303.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 24
  • rsz_220180814_183831.jpg
    rsz_220180814_183831.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 27
I've no experience of Moustached but believe you're correct as in the 2 face profiles the moustache runs down the side unlike in Common.

That was the basis of my ID Aeshna, thanks.

I've always assumed, based on the literature, that they should be the commonest Sympetrum on my patch but have never caught one before to check and it's not at all easy to see this detail through bins.

I've no experience of Moustached but believe you're correct as in the 2 face profiles the moustache runs down the side unlike in Common.

I've only seen one Moustached (a very long time ago) but surely the yellow stripes on the sides of the thorax is a Common feature whereas Moustached has an all-brown thorax?

The face pattern looks within tolerance for Common per Dijkstra....

I'm prepared to be wrong about this!

John

I've only seen one Moustached (a very long time ago) but surely the yellow stripes on the sides of the thorax is a Common feature whereas Moustached has an all-brown thorax?

The face pattern looks within tolerance for Common per Dijkstra....

I'm prepared to be wrong about this!

John

I think the 'moustache' is very well developed on this insect John and way out of the range for Common as per Dykstra?

Here' one from the net, showing well developed, yellow stripes, assuming ID is correct of course.

https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4500/37521917432_e099872245_b.jpg

Last edited:
It's fine for Moustached, as they start up with yellow stripes which disappear with time.
Compare: https://waarneming.nl/foto/view/18111156 for an example from the Netherlands (where it is common). You would never see such a clear moustache on a Common Darter.

Only the first pic is helpful though: you should not try to identify them from pictures taken from straight ahead (as in the last one)!

It's fine for Moustached, as they start up with yellow stripes which disappear with time.
Compare: https://waarneming.nl/foto/view/18111156 for an example from the Netherlands (where it is common). You would never see such a clear moustache on a Common Darter.

Only the first pic is helpful though: you should not try to identify them from pictures taken from straight ahead (as in the last one)!

I realised that today but only after I'd released it!

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back