• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A Wind Farm Threatens The Birds Of MonfragÜe (1 Viewer)

Man's folly is without limits it appears. 'green energy' comes at the price of the wild world around these ecocrucifixes.

Also signed

Nothing green about wind farms, and in this locality it is an absolute catastrophy.

PS what is England or Britain in Spanish, went up and down the drop down menu and failed to find - so put Lithuania instead, least I live here.

Living near to the wind farms of Tarifa do all you can to deter the placing of wind farms in Monfrague.The wind farms in Tarifa are now monitored by paid vigilantes who have the ability to switch off certain areas when flocks of birds are near.It has I believe cut down the mortality rate but this is hard to prove or disprove.It is not only the physical sight of these machines but also the accustic one,which may deter ground nesting birds.Green energy is to praised but not at any cost.Why not put these on tall blocks of ugly flats in towns and cities where they would be less obvious,but of course people would then object to the noise,Just a thought though.

Thanks everyone.I sincerely believe that there are areas that should be preserved at all costs as the case in a nearby national park so vital to birds as Monfragüe.

Me too - my take is that Extremadura is much more suited to Solar energy production but the intense vested interests are fuelling windfarms. I believe part of this is because many politicians and stakeholders are just more impressed by the big wind turbines - it gives them a sense of power!

I wish the money in windfarm industries was diverted to solar.

Could the Mods here on Birdforum give this more visibility? Monfrague has many fans here and I think, judging by the number of replies to this thread that many haven't seen it.

Agree that Monfrague is perhaps one of the worst spots to propose a windfarm facility, especially give the major issues at Tarifa. Not quite sure though how wind farms are not green. In the right place - and throughout the EU all windfarms must undergo full EIA, including bird (and bat) collision risk analysis spanning several years - they are surely as green as renewable energy gets. Are we suggesting that nuclear is greener? Chernobyl? Fukishima? Of all the alternatives to fossil fuels, wind is at present the least harmful - limited lifespan of 25 years, minimal land-take, no significant waste legacy. Plus many mitigation options - turning off turbines at sensitive periods etc. There is ample research from the UK that impacts to bird communities are generally low/minimal, with increases in some species noted at operational windfarms. Perhaps the best solution we have at this time if we wish to reduce dependence on fossil fuels - especially since solar tariffs have been stupidly shelved.

Of all the alternatives to fossil fuels, wind is at present the least harmful - limited lifespan of 25 years, minimal land-take, no significant waste legacy. Plus many mitigation options - turning off turbines at sensitive periods etc. There is ample research from the UK that impacts to bird communities are generally low/minimal, with increases in some species noted at operational windfarms. Perhaps the best solution we have at this time if we wish to reduce dependence on fossil fuels - especially since solar tariffs have been stupidly shelved.

In the UK there are no Eurasian Griffon or Black Vultures - 2 species that are terribly prone to getting chopped to bits (I've seen it happen - it made me sick). Also it has been shown that Bonelli's Eagles shift their territories to avoid windfarms, which ultimately reduces their population.

Also, disruptions to raptors flight paths is potentially detrimental - bear in mind that windfarm impacts on birdlife is a very new science indeed.

I don't do facebook or Twitter, so email is the only way I can sign. But am I reading it correctly that I have to put in recipient email in the top line (I don't know what it would be)? could someone translate for me, as I do not have that much Spanish? The lines to fill out are labeled:
PARA (?)
TU NOMBRE (my name)
TU EMAIL (my email)

Niels

Not quite sure though how wind farms are not green. In the right place - and throughout the EU all windfarms must undergo full EIA, including bird (and bat) collision risk analysis spanning several years - they are surely as green as renewable energy gets. Are we suggesting that nuclear is greener? Chernobyl? Fukishima? Of all the alternatives to fossil fuels, wind is at present the least harmful - limited lifespan of 25 years, minimal land-take, no significant waste legacy. Plus many mitigation options - turning off turbines at sensitive periods etc. .

Nuclear has potential to damage the environment if an accident happens, wind turbines destroy as a matter of routine.

Minimal land-take is a falsehood - to create anywhere near enough power, vast numbers are required. The sheer number that would be needed would mean they are virtually everywhere - what would the result of that be? Just in Europe, storks and raptors throughout being diced. And do you really suppose these would be turned off when birds are approaching them, of course not.

Also, if all must go through full EIAs before construction in the EU, how come they are still being built in highly sensitive areas, Monfrague just the latest in the string of proposals.

And then move beyond the so-called enlightened environmental policies of the EU, visit Gujarat - hundreds and hundreds of turbines being built on prime raptor and crane wintering grounds; visit migration corridors west of L.A. chocked by a maze of turbines looking almost purpose-built to take out birds; visit the Canadian island of Wolfe Island, prime wintering grounds of Snowy Owl and raptors, major goose passage, now full of turbines; visit the Bulgarian coast, most important wintering ground in the world of Red-breasted Geese and a major passage corridor to thousands of raptors and pelicans, turbines now right on the migration headlands and encroaching the goose areas.

Simple truth is for most of the world, business, governments and the mass media view turbines as the way forward, virtually no strings attached. Construct regardless. Wind turbines are not green, the green label simply masks the reality.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back