• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Trying to decide on the best of the best (1 Viewer)

The 8x32 SV is my favourite ergonomically but my least favourite view, compromising veiling glare far too frequent, I`v had two, sold them both.

Noctivid compromised ergonomically for me, and to my eyes just too sharp, too much C/A at this level, never owned one.

8.5X42 SV near perfect in every way, (can`t see why you feel the 32mm is better built than the 42), owned one but sold it because I fell for the 8x42 SF which in direct comparison is better balanced, has better stray light control, better focus operation and better ergonomics, it just gives up absolute sharpness to the edge, despite the claims I`v read that it is, currently the SF is my only binocular, can`t see anything taking its place anytime soon.
I agree on the glare problem in the 8x32 SV. The 10x32 SV is even worse. The bigger aperture Swarovski's like the 8.5x42 and 12x50's are better for glare but they are still not as good as the Zeiss FL or Nikon EDG. I got tired of the glare so I sold all my Swarovski's except my Habicht's. The 8x30 Habicht has glare but the 10x40 and especially the 7x42 control glare quite well. I put up with the glare in the Habicht 8x30 because the transmission is so high. If you want a binocular that doesn't have any glare get an 8x56. The glare never hits your eyes. The Conquest HD 8x56 I have now has absolutely no glare. I agree with you also on the Zeiss 8x42 SF. It is almost a perfect binocular and I too liked it better than the SV 8.5x42 but I got those orange crescents at the edge of the FOV. It must be my eyes and the way the binoculars fit me. It really irritated me because other than that I loved the SF's.

You can't go wrong with any of those binoculars, plus a few others that were also mentioned.

Good also to recognize the value of the Conquest line.

I own the 8x32 El, the 8x42 SF, and a 10x42 Noctivid. After getting the Noctivid a year ago, it has been my primary birding binocular for most of that time. I admit, the SF has a better ergonomic design, but it hasn't mattered, once you just start using it. The Noctivid handles just fine. The eye relief and the AFOV are really well matched for my eyes with glasses on. I find the focuser to be smooth. I enjoy the view.

I used the 8x32 EL's daily when I was overseas for a few weeks, and they did everything I needed. No complaints. Just an excellent, portable bin with good eye relief, and a sharp field.

A few weeks ago, Chuck mentioned in another thread how he would be reminded all over again why he liked certain binoculars when he picked them up, and I feel the same way about the 8x42 Zeiss SF. It is another great binocular which I intend to use more often going forward. I've been experiencing, and enjoying the 10x view of the world for the last 12 months, but, as I'm going be carrying a scope around more often, I'll put the 8x42 back in the mix to see how that feels. Plus, I expect they'll be easier to use with one hand, when I'm carrying the tripod, with the better balance and lower magnification.

Interestingly, using a scope on a tripod makes quite evident the amount of motion there is in a handheld 10x bin...

I have looked through the 8.5x42 Swaros a few times in stores, but never got the unquenchable desire to get one.
Some bins you connect to, and some you don't. Its not the binocular's fault! Any of the binoculars you mentioned could easily be your one and only purchase that you could be satisfied with for years.

Enjoy!

-Bill

I am considering splurging on some top end birding binoculars. To me these seem to be:
Swaro 8.5x42 SL
Swaro 8x32 SL
Zeiss 8x42 FL
Leica 8x42 Noctovid

I currently have the Zeiss 8x32 Conquest HDs, which I think are amazing for the $$, but not quite at the level of the four above. I also have the Nikon 8x32SEs, which have a special place in my heart (they were a wedding present from my uncle, and I am just a Nikon person in general, using their DSLRs etc.). The Nikons are great in certain expansive situations, I love them on the dashboard in big open country, but their resolution and detail is not as good as the Conquests, or the options above.

I have looked through all of the four above. The first three I was able to look at outside for about a half hour, looking at a backlit Merlin and other things outside. I also was able to see the Swaro 8x32 at B and H in NYC and was a impressed by how much it popped, even in the windowless interior. I saw the Noctovid separately in a camera shop indoors, and actually was really impressed - it has a very special feel. Overall, here are my impressions:

The Swarovski 8.5x42 was my least favorite - bumping to 8.5 I think was a mistake - narrowing the field of view and reducing the pop a bit. I think the Swaro 8x32s are pretty incredible - a lightweight, gorgeously made package that is easy to grab, stuff in a pocket. Terrific pop, maybe best of all of them. And maybe the nicest build quality.

The Zeiss though are very special - more light gathering, and looking at the Merlin I could see the most detail of all. Also, there really is something to the balance of these - I swore they were the same weight as the Swaro 8x32 until we weighed them - they just feel very light for their size. Plus I'm a bit of a Zeiss guy too.

Looking at the Leicas was an afterthought - but so glad I looked. For all the folks saying the Noctovids are just some frufru lux product, come on, don't be so jaded. Those are great binoculars. Incredible clear view edge to edge. Lovely and solid. Actually, I love the steady substantial weight, even though these are the heaviest of the group. For me what is impressive is the HD like pop - like the Swaro 8x32s but maybe even better. However, I didn't see these alongside the others.

I will be looking at all of them again. My eyes were a bit tired on the first look.

I would really like to get thoughts about this - I was looking for a thread on "the best" but they are all buried on all the brand subforums. I would like to hear opinions that don't just slam some of these glasses - they're all clearly great...anyone out there with experience with all/most in the field? It may just be, like so many say here, at the end of the day what seems to work best for me. That said, I'd like to hear impressions.

Hi, b-lilja,

Glancing through this thread, I see you have been addressed by some very knowledgeable observers. Although their opinions are of value, they are particular to themselves OR a limited number of observers. While all could lead you to a fantastic binocular, I feel you need—for future reference—the unvarnished, politically incorrect truth.

There is no “best of the best” binocular, nor can there be until:

— Each person has the same number of rods and cones.
— Each rod and cone has the same sensitivity for the same wavelengths.
— Each person’s synaptic gap is of the same length and their synaptic cleft is of the same sensitivity.
— Each person’s brain processes received impulses with the same temporal resolution.
— Each person perceives all optical aberrations (chromatic aberration, astigmatism, field curvature, etc.) to exactly the same extent.
— Each person has eyes sharing the same dioptric scale (only 2- 3% do) and that scale is the same for every observer on the planet.
— Each person has the same IPD.
— Each person has the same opinion of weight and ergonomics.

And the list above could go on for hours.

In addition, should that bino be created, you may rest assured it would be replaced with something different within a few months because of financial considerations or a new—over the top—ad campaign. Physics always trumps opinion. However, it is opinion that make cash registers ring—reality based or not.

You have been given some GREAT advice. The OTHER Bill said it best: “You can't go wrong with any of those binoculars.” Buy SOMETHING, use it, and be happy until YOU see a reason to change! Some would say “upgrade.” However, while differences in weight, ergonomics, and IPD are very real considerations, people talk too frequently about “upgrading” to a binocular that is only optically better in computer printouts compared to clinical, physiological realities of the “average”—whatever that means—observer.

I have spoken to a large number of birds who have endorsed my “stacking BBs” analogy. There was one bird, however, who said he didn’t get it. He lived on an island east of Madagascar and seemed to have a limited IQ, as shown by his misplaced affinity for mankind. :cat:

Cheers,

Bill

Last edited:
The 8x32 SV is my favourite ergonomically but my least favourite view, compromising veiling glare far too frequent, I`v had two, sold them both.

Noctivid compromised ergonomically for me, and to my eyes just too sharp, too much C/A at this level, never owned one.

8.5X42 SV near perfect in every way, (can`t see why you feel the 32mm is better built than the 42), owned one but sold it because I fell for the 8x42 SF which in direct comparison is better balanced, has better stray light control, better focus operation and better ergonomics, it just gives up absolute sharpness to the edge, despite the claims I`v read that it is, currently the SF is my only binocular, can`t see anything taking its place anytime soon.

Good point on the 8.5 build quality - that was poorly written on my part. They have the same excellence in build as the 8x32 ELs.

Hi, b-lilja,

Glancing through this thread, I see you have been addressed by some very knowledgeable observers. Although their opinions are of value, they are particular to themselves OR a limited number of observers. While all could lead you to a fantastic binocular, I feel you need—for future reference—the unvarnished, politically incorrect truth.

There is no “best of the best” binocular, nor can there be until:

— Each person has the same number of rods and cones.
— Each rod and cone has the same sensitivity for the same wavelengths.
— Each person’s synaptic gap is of the same length and their synaptic cleft is of the same sensitivity.
— Each person’s brain processes received impulses with the same temporal resolution.
— Each person perceives all optical aberrations (chromatic aberration, astigmatism, field curvature, etc.) to exactly the same extent.
— Each person has eyes sharing the same dioptric scale (only 2- 3% do) and that scale is the same for every observer on the planet.
— Each person has the same IPD.
— Each person has the same opinion of weight and ergonomics.

And the list above could go on for hours.

In addition, should that bino be created, you may rest assured it would be replaced with something different within a few months because of financial considerations or a new—over the top—ad campaign. Physics always trumps opinion. However, it is opinion that make cash registers ring—reality based or not.

You have been given some GREAT advice. The OTHER Bill said it best: “You can't go wrong with any of those binoculars.” Buy SOMETHING, use it, and be happy until YOU see a reason to change! Some would say “upgrade.” However, while differences in weight, ergonomics, and IPD are very real considerations, people talk too frequently about “upgrading” to a binocular that is only optically better in computer printouts compared to clinical, physiological realities of the “average”—whatever that means—observer.

I have spoken to a large number of birds who have endorsed my “stacking BBs” analogy. There was one bird, however, who said he didn’t get it. He lived on an island east of Madagascar and seemed to have a limited IQ, as shown by his misplaced affinity for mankind. :cat:

Cheers,

Bill

Bill, I recognize the avatar. I believe you sold me a fine pair of EII 8x30s many a moon ago. Your comment is much appreciated!

Birding binocular...

My first choice for ANYONE to try would be the SV 8X32. I think it's cream of the crop. Most folks have no issue with it whatsoever. Go to any birding event where folks go birding year around...more than likely that's what's going to be around their neck. Most times that's what's around my neck.

Second choice though not on your list....Leica UVHD+ 7X42. SO easy to just throw up and there's the bird. I use it a lot during the summer. Great optics/ergonomics

3rd would prob be the SV 8.5X42...especially during the late fall, winter, early spring. Probably the best do it all binocular. I like the extra magnification when the leaves are off the trees. Prob the 2nd most likely to see this binocular around a full time birders neck.

Optically the best of the best... Nikon WX, but then there is a lot else besides just the view... cost, weight... Sometimes choice can be a bad thing, if you’ve compared the options next to each other then you have discounted the ones you don’t get on with.. maybe field width or weight, twilight use matter more... you may need to toss a coin to decide!

Peter

Optically the best of the best... Nikon WX, but then there is a lot else besides just the view... cost, weight... Sometimes choice can be a bad thing, if you’ve compared the options next to each other then you have discounted the ones you don’t get on with.. maybe field width or weight, twilight use matter more... you may need to toss a coin to decide!

Peter

Ridiculous suggestion - it is not a binocular for general birdwatching for many reasons already discussed in depth. As is the final " toss a coin", just not helpful at all.

Ridiculous suggestion - it is not a binocular for general birdwatching for many reasons already discussed in depth. As is the final " toss a coin", just not helpful at all.

Hello Pyrtle,

Actually I also think that the Nikon WX Binoculars are currently the "best of the best".

Currently NOTHING in the world compares in terms of materials , optics , and build quality , sure they are heavy , but not THAT heavy 3:).

There are probably some hand made "one off" binoculars made by private individuals that are better , there are still people in the world that can do this , but we are talking about PRODUCTION binoculars here ,

o:D o:D o:D

Cheers.

Hello Pyrtle,
There are probably some hand made "one off" binoculars made by private individuals that are better , there are still people in the world that can do this , but we are talking about PRODUCTION binoculars here ,
Cheers.

They may well be that but come on, answer the OP's question please, not ramble on about something that is totally unsuitable as well as not in the suggested list. Oh, and way over budget.

P.

getting the best of the best-impossible dream
there will always be a newer, better one
my suggestion is to go to a dealer with a good selection and try them out
get a good one and use it over and over

edj

Last edited:
If I had that l kind of money it would be Leica. It would just have to be. Sadly I will never be able to afford such.

Birding binocular...
My first choice for ANYONE to try would be the SV 8X32. I think it's cream of the crop...
+1 :t: I agree 100%, I also believe that it is the best choice on your list, above all because it is the lightest and the one you will carry several times with you. The brightness is more than enough to read until halfway through the civil twilight. So if you don't need twilight binoculars (8x56), the 8x32 size of Swarovski quality, will be the best!

…., the 8x32 size of Swarovski quality, will be the best!

The topic of globe or rollerball effect has not made it into this discussion so far. If you are sensitive to it (like I am), then don't go for the Swaro x32, it drove me crazy. The Zeiss FL 8x32 would then be the way to go, as far as I'm concerned. That is, if a x42 is considered too bulky. Those x42s definitely shine with regard to viewing quality.

The topic of globe or rollerball effect has not made it into this discussion so far. If you are sensitive to it (like I am), then don't go for the Swaro x32, it drove me crazy. The Zeiss FL 8x32 would then be the way to go
Sure! I agree. I didn't mean to say that the EL 8x32 binoculars are the best in the world.
Rather, the Zeiss FL is certainly interesting too or subjectively better.

But if it is possible to choose out of its list (EL SF Noctivid), there are also other similar possibilities, such as Habicht 8x30, Ultravid 8x32, etc ... to avoid the globe effect, since he had reported that
my Conquest HDs equal to, maybe a little better than the Victory FL 8x32s.

Last edited:
Bill, I recognize the avatar. I believe you sold me a fine pair of EII 8x30s many a moon ago. Your comment is much appreciated!

Hi, b-lilja,

And YOUR comment was appreciated. So many don’t know how to take mine. But I keep plodding along trying to help my neighbor. This motley crew is my family. They have to be, my 3 children have all gone south; two out of not respecting the values with which they were raised and the other dealing with what life has dealt him, with 8 clinical disabilities ranging from ADHD down to “marginal brain function.”

Ah, the EIIs; big bang for the bucks. Captain’s sold in 2014 and most of those with vast experience in the business (navigation) are long gone. I hope I helped you as much as a teacher as a salesperson. Person to person interaction has always been better for me than trying to help on these forums wherein confidence and firsthand knowledge can come across as arrogance. Dropping reality into a world steeped in opinions viewed as facts is sometimes like kissing an eastern diamondback on the lips. :cat:But:

“In matters of style, swim with the stream. In matters of principle, stand like a rock.” — Thomas Jefferson

Are you from the Seattle area?

Wherever you’re from, have a safe, pleasant, and prosperous new year.

Cheers,

Bill

Hi, b-lilja,

And YOUR comment was appreciated. So many don’t know how to take mine. But I keep plodding along trying to help my neighbor. This motley crew is my family. They have to be, my 3 children have all gone south; two out of not respecting the values with which they were raised and the other dealing with what life has dealt him, with 8 clinical disabilities ranging from ADHD down to “marginal brain function.”

Ah, the EIIs; big bang for the bucks. Captain’s sold in 2014 and most of those with vast experience in the business (navigation) are long gone. I hope I helped you as much as a teacher as a salesperson. Person to person interaction has always been better for me than trying to help on these forums wherein confidence and firsthand knowledge can come across as arrogance. Dropping reality into a world steeped in opinions viewed as facts is sometimes like kissing an eastern diamondback on the lips. :cat:But:

“In matters of style, swim with the stream. In matters of principle, stand like a rock.” — Thomas Jefferson

Are you from the Seattle area?

Wherever you’re from, have a safe, pleasant, and prosperous new year.

Cheers,

Bill

Bill, you are doing great. I greatly appreciated the several long sessions we had together, and learned a lot every time we did. I have lived long enough to know there is a huge difference between long term professional and hobbyist/amateur knowledge.

The EIIs were well loved until my wife and I received the 8x32SEs as a wedding gift from my uncle and I moved them on. I always appreciated how I could tuck them into a pocket or very small Pelican case.

I also traded some Swifts with you for some old Canon 8x30 porros, which despite old coatings remain one of my favorite and comfortable bins - they fit like an old pair of Levi's.

I also started my love of Nikon Travelites starting with a pair of 8x25s I bought from you.

We live on Phinney Ridge.

Best of 2020 to you as well.

My personally preference would for the colour, contrast and sharpness characteristics of the Noctivid, but they probably wouldn't be my first choice for ergonomics. Though I suspect that's something I could adjust to. There have also been questions raised about their after sales support over here, but things may be different in the US.

David

Just a quick response on Leica service. Had issue with my 1998 10x50 Trinovids - focusing stiffened up and water got in. Rang customer service who sent me form and UPS packing slip by email within 5 minutes. Sent off to Portugal. They arrived back today (3 weeks incl Christmas), fixed, cleaned, re-gassed, replaced armouring to brand new. All at zero cost under 30 year lifetime warranty

Just a quick response on Leica service. Had issue with my 1998 10x50 Trinovids - focusing stiffened up and water got in. Rang customer service who sent me form and UPS packing slip by email within 5 minutes. Sent off to Portugal. They arrived back today (3 weeks incl Christmas), fixed, cleaned, re-gassed, replaced armouring to brand new. All at zero cost under 30 year lifetime warranty

Isn't it a great moment to receive back one's trusted binoculars in essentially brand new condition again! Even more so when it is all covered by a generous warranty. I had the same joyous feelings when my Zeiss FL 8x42 came back. Though it cost me around 380 Swiss Francs as the warranty had expired some years earlier.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back