• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hua Hin in august (1 Viewer)

dez

Hi off to thailand in august staying at hua hin, going with two friends who are not birders but me and the wife are, was wondering what would be the best places to go nearby i have done a bit of research and only come up with khao sam roi yot national park which looks very good will definately go there. I know it's the rainy season but is it only showers and will we have problems with leeches, the wifes a bit scared of them can't say i like them too much either ! thanks dez

Hi off to thailand in august staying at hua hin, going with two friends who are not birders but me and the wife are, was wondering what would be the best places to go nearby i have done a bit of research and only come up with khao sam roi yot national park which looks very good will definately go there. I know it's the rainy season but is it only showers and will we have problems with leeches, the wifes a bit scared of them can't say i like them too much either ! thanks dez

Dez,

It's also worth trying Laem Pak Bia in August as wader passage will be under way (you have a chance of Asiatic Dowitcher on passage), see http://www.thaibirding.com/locations/central/lpb.htm

Kaeng Krachan NP is another option, but the upper sections of the park will be closed due to the wet season, and in some years the whole park is closed (not sure this year). If you do get into this National Park, the leeches will be VERY happy to see you!

Best

Dave

I live in Hua Hin, but will be in Finland from august 3th to 17th . If you arrive after that i'll be happy to help you. I'v stayed here now more than one year and so far i must say that Sam Roi Yot been a bit of a dissapointment. The best areas i'v find there are the wetlands close to Pranburi. KK closed from august until november (upperparts).

I live in Hua Hin, but will be in Finland from august 3th to 17th . If you arrive after that i'll be happy to help you. I'v stayed here now more than one year and so far i must say that Sam Roi Yot been a bit of a dissapointment. The best areas i'v find there are the wetlands close to Pranburi. KK closed from august until november (upperparts).

Hi tombac that's very kind of you we will be staying in Bankok from 13th - 16th aug then in Hua Hin from 16th - 26th at the Anatara Resort and Spa, would love to meet up, my birds of Thailand book arrived today going to have a good look in a bit. Thanks again Dez

My mobilenumber: +66810083745. Give me a call when you''r there! I should be in HH afternoon 17 aug.

Hi Dez yeah there is a lot of good birding in the Hua Hin area. In additon to some of the suggestions made above there is also the forest at Wat Khao Look CHang, woodpeckers and treepies, about 45 minutes drive from Hua Hin and the Khao Yoi area north of Laem Pak Bia is an excellent area; last year in August I observed about 80 spot billed pelicans there and there will be many fairly common species which will be new for you; bronze winged and pheasant tailed jacanas, purple swamphens, possibly some pied kingfishers. I live about 2 hours north of Hua Hin ( 32 baht on the train) and I am usaully free Mondays so would be happy to take you out if you wish. I have transport. Give us a shout nearer your arrival

Hi Dez yeah there is a lot of good birding in the Hua Hin area. In additon to some of the suggestions made above there is also the forest at Wat Khao Look CHang, woodpeckers and treepies, about 45 minutes drive from Hua Hin and the Khao Yoi area north of Laem Pak Bia is an excellent area; last year in August I observed about 80 spot billed pelicans there and there will be many fairly common species which will be new for you; bronze winged and pheasant tailed jacanas, purple swamphens, possibly some pied kingfishers. I live about 2 hours north of Hua Hin ( 32 baht on the train) and I am usaully free Mondays so would be happy to take you out if you wish. I have transport. Give us a shout nearer your arrival

Thank you portnoy 58 that sounds great will give you a shout a bit nearer the time, look forward to it Dez

Dez, I've stayed just south of Hua Hin twice (Evason Six Senses), but not in summer. My Vacational Trip reports are on here (Oct 2006 & Jan 2009).
I birded a lot around the coast there - as well as Roi Yot & KK.
I got the impression that KK was only closed in October - much to my huge disappointment on my first visit.

Dez, I've stayed just south of Hua Hin twice (Evason Six Senses), but not in summer. My Vacational Trip reports are on here (Oct 2006 & Jan 2009).
I got the impression that KK was only closed in October - much to my huge disappointment on my first visit.

h2 - closure of Kaeng Krachan seems to follow a different pattern each year, depending on how the roads are holding up. There are a couple of birders' lodges outside the park which are very popular with bird photographers as they have set things up for bird photography (eg water sources in the dry season). I've no idea how good they are in the wet season, but may be worth investigation.

Best wishes

Dave

Thank's for the info, great trip report's. Looking forward to it

The "waterholes" by the hides are good even during the wet season. Some wintering species missing of course, but the resident birds still visit them. According to the rangers the road will be closed from august on. But you never know in Thailand...

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back