• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding in Worcestershire (3 Viewers)

Driving down the A435 in Wythall towards Becketts farm at 4.10pm yesterday afternoon and to my amazement a Swift sp flew across low over the car from left to right heading towards Kings Heath.

Having encountered both Pallid and Common before in the UK unfortunately I couldn't pin the ID down to one or the other as I was driving and the light can play tricks but without doubt it was one or the other.

I'd love to think it was a Pallid but also quite happy to smash my record of a late UK Common Swift by a considerable margin.

The one that got away unfortunately so will leave it as a Swift sp.

Spent a great day birding Worcestershire today.
First, it was a 9am start to arrive at Bredon at 10am to see the adult female Greenland White-Fronted Goose feeding along with 23 Canada Goose.
Then it was off to Clifton where the two redhead Smew were seen, whilst a single Barnacle Goose was amongst the Greylag and Canada Goose flock on the main pit. Other notable birds here were Wigeon, Shoveler, Teal, Little Egret, Lapwing, Raven, Goldcrest, Meadow Pipit and Skylark.

43 species overall, and 41 at Clifton alone. My first 4 Goose day in the county. It was my first visit to both sites, and Clifton looked a most promising site that I shall surely be back to soon in the future.

Chris

Last edited:
I have been to Croome many times in the past but have never been birding there before. It was the first time in a while that I took my camera with me.

The bird hide provided great close-up views of Great Tit, Chaffinch, Nuthatch, Wren and a very confiding Stock Dove. On the river and lake were Mute Swan, Canada Goose, Mallard, Coot and Moorhen. In the parkland was Starling, Mistle Thrush, Song Thrush and Redwing.

28 species were seen overall.

Also seen were Fieldfare in a field just outside of Croome, and a Kestrel and the Lapwing flock by Upton Warren on the way home.

Chris

Yes Phil we tried around the walled garden area to see if the Hawfinch was around but to no avail.

Below are a few of my pictures from the bird hide yesterday.

Chris

Attachments

• IMG_8364.jpg
    IMG_8364.jpg
    303.1 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_8372.jpg
    IMG_8372.jpg
    311.9 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_8386.jpg
    IMG_8386.jpg
    311.6 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_8415.jpg
    IMG_8415.jpg
    408.8 KB · Views: 37
Love the shots. I live in Pershore so regularly go to Croome. There are often Kestrels hovering off the embankment east of the river, south of the house. At weekends it's usually just too busy with visitors for birding.

Sorry, it's not related to Croome, Hawfinches or the photos posted, but I have made an interactive map of birdforum threads, mostly in Worcestershire, Warkwickshire and the West Midlands, so you don't need to search through county pages to find a thread to discuss your touristic birding: Click here to view it

Today we spent a few hours at Dowles Brook, noting the following species-

Pheasant, Woodpigeon, Jay, Magpie, Carrion Crow, Blackbird, Song Thrush, Mistle Thrush, Robin, Dunnock, Wren, Blue Tit, Great Tit, Coal Tit, Long-Tailed Tit, Goldcrest, Treecreeper, Nuthatch, Great Spotted Woodpecker, Goldfinch, Bullfinch, Chaffinch and House Sparrow.

Then we drove round to Trimpley Reservoir where the following were seen-

5 Mute Swan, 58 Mallard, 11 Goosander, 1 Great Crested Grebe, 6 Coot, 4 Moorhen, 10 Cormorant, 145 Black-Headed Gull, 2 Lesser Black-Backed Gull and 2 Buzzard.

The highlight of the day was seeing 6 Mandarin Duck flying along the River Severn beside the reservoir.

Chris

Spent a lovely hour or so at Clifton Pits this morning with the following seen-

1 Green Sandpiper on the far shore, 3 Oystercatcher and 7 Lapwing.

21 Mute Swan, 44 Canada Goose, 5 Greylag Goose, 9 Shelduck, 1 Pintail (female), 15 Mallard, 3 Gadwall, 14 Shoveler, 42 Wigeon, 30 Teal, 87 Tufted Duck, 1 Goldeneye (female), 21 Cormorant, 7 Buzzard, 67 Coot, 1 Little Grebe and a welcome 15 Great Crested Grebe.

Passerines included 1 Chiffchaff singing, 1 Pied Wagtail and both Chaffinch and Goldfinch.

Chris

Great view of a Peregrine perched up on dead Oak tree by Grafton Woods this morning.
Also a Red Kite drifting southwards over Himbleton early this afternoon

Walton Hill 7.10-8.10 this morning-

2 Wheatear by Walton Hill Farm and 1 Willow Warbler were new for the year for me.

1 Fieldfare was a surprise, calling from the top of a tree down in the valley before flying off.

3 Swallow were seen, including one perched on overhead lines by the farm.

Also 1 Raven, 1 Song Thrush, 2 Chiffchaff, 15+ Linnet, 2 Goldfinch, 1 Great Spotted Woodpecker, 1 Blue Tit, 3 Great Tit and 1 Long-Tailed Tit.

Chris

A Tree Pipit was singing and doing its song-flight from trees on Malvern Common between Peachfield Road and Malvern College grounds this lunchtime. I've no idea how unusual this is. I walk the area regularly during my lunch-breaks but this is the first one I've encountered in this spot. They obviously breed on other areas of the Malvern Hills.

Spent just under an hour at Clifton this morning with the following sightings-

9 Great Crested Grebe, 13 Little Grebe, 28 Mute Swan, 48 Canada Goose, 25 Greylag Goose, 2 Egyptian Goose, 10 Mallard, 26 Tufted Duck, 135 Coot, 10 Cormorant, 4 Grey Heron, 5 Lapwing, 3 Oystercatcher, 1 Redshank, 2 Little Ringed Plover, 2 Black-Headed Gull, 5 Lesser Black-Backed Gull, 1 Kestrel, 1 Green Woodpecker, Jackdaw, Carrion Crow, Magpie, Woodpigeon, Stock Dove, Skylark, Blackbird, Starling, Great Tit, House Martin, Swallow, 7 Pied Wagtail, 2 Linnet, Goldfinch and 1 Yellowhammer.

It was the first time I have seen either Egyptian Goose and Yellowhammer at the site, and the Pied Wagtail count is of a small group of birds, most of which appeared to be juveniles.

Chris

Spotted Flycatcher in trees on Malvern Common between Peachfield Road and Malvern College grounds this lunchtime. First I've seen in this area.

An amazing record of 2 juvenile Chough on the Malvern Hills at British Camp, predominately in Herefordshire but occasionally crossing the border into Worcestershire.

Only the second ever county record following one shot near Tenbury Wells in 1826.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back