• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Reliable guides in Goa. (1 Viewer)

forthbirder

Hi folks. Heading to Arpora in Goa in March. Can anyone recommend some reliable birding guides/taxi drivers operating in this area. Cheers

register said:
Hi folks. Heading to Arpora in Goa in March. Can anyone recommend some reliable birding guides/taxi drivers operating in this area. Cheers

Hi Register
I visited Goa in March/April in 2005 and had a fabulous time managed to rack up nearly 200 spps and that was not 24hr birding as my good lady is not remotely interested in birds.Stayed at the Marinha Dourada hotel the taxi drivers outside the hotel were brilliant very obliging took you anywhere you wanted to go for example aday out to Morjim beach cost us £6 for the whole day fabulous value and a day out to Panjim for £10 just outside our hotel was an excellent saltpan area with a constantly changing array of waders, kingfishers and loads of Little Green Bee Eaters. Baga hill was stunning too but lots of development going on so I do not know what it will be like now somebody will probably give you a recent update. Oh and Black kites EVERYWHERE. Goa a superb place - have a great trip. Super food, very friendly people and cheap cheap beer and brilliant birds.
PS A word of warning in the more rural areas be wary of any dogs as they could be rabid!! One or two other birders I met did come across rabid dogs so give them a wide berth.I f you want any more info send me a PM and I will try my best to help.
Regards JD

Jack Daw said:
Hi Register
I visited Goa in March/April in 2005 and had a fabulous time managed to rack up nearly 200 spps and that was not 24hr birding as my good lady is not remotely interested in birds.Stayed at the Marinha Dourada hotel the taxi drivers outside the hotel were brilliant very obliging took you anywhere you wanted to go for example aday out to Morjim beach cost us £6 for the whole day fabulous value and a day out to Panjim for £10 just outside our hotel was an excellent saltpan area with a constantly changing array of waders, kingfishers and loads of Little Green Bee Eaters. Baga hill was stunning too but lots of development going on so I do not know what it will be like now somebody will probably give you a recent update. Oh and Black kites EVERYWHERE. Goa a superb place - have a great trip. Super food, very friendly people and cheap cheap beer and brilliant birds.
PS A word of warning in the more rural areas be wary of any dogs as they could be rabid!! One or two other birders I met did come across rabid dogs so give them a wide berth.I f you want any more info send me a PM and I will try my best to help.
Regards JD

You didn't mention Arpora Woods JD. I presume you went their for Indian Pitta etc?

Alf King said:
You didn't mention Arpora Woods JD. I presume you went their for Indian Pitta etc?

Sorry forgot to mention Arpora forest fantastic area best place for Indian Pitta and Orange Headed thrush just to the right of the Cabana Night Club.

Attachments

• pitta5.JPG
    pitta5.JPG
    82.6 KB · Views: 263
Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back