• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Possible Gull Splits (1 Viewer)

My goodness, how is a poor bod to keep up. Need to buy lots of new guides, reappraise all my records, update the database etc etc. I'd much prefer to be birding ... and building my list the old fashioned way!

cuckooroller said:
I don't think it is a question of being upset, only that many, including myself, have tremendous difficulty anyway with Larus field identification.

Ok, "upset" was probably a bad choise of wording, "frustrated" might have been better. I guess this is the kind of mistakes you do then you write in another language than your native.

Regarding the splits of the three wagtail species M. flava, alba and citreola. From what I understand there is quite far from an unanimous view among the experts. flava and alba splits are in pending state in the AERC TAC recommendations. From what I can see the citreola split havn't even been up for voting yet. The Pavlova paper is mentioned in the M.flava discusions though.

Sven,

Yes, I know people are all over the place on both of the related genera Anthus and Motacilla. With this much confusion I'm sure that all of the major lists will wind up respectfully disagreeing with each other and then it is just a question of having to know all of the different tax treatments again. No one ever said avian taxonomy was easy.

:eek!: :h?:

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back