• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Panasonic Lumix LX3 adapted for Leica 65/82 scopes (1 Viewer)

Steve Dudley

aka The Toadsnatcher
United Kingdom
Since switching from the Televid 77 to the Televid 65/82 models I've been less than satisfied with my digiscoping setup. Leica's own digi adapter has a thread which fits various Leica and Panasonic cameras, but its far bulkier than the simple slip ring I am used to carrying. So I asked a friend to help me make up a new smaller slip ring adapter for the 25-50x eyepiece.

Using a the cap for the 25-50x eyepice, we cut a hole in the centre of it to accommodate a new tube which was threaded to fit the Lumix LX3. The cap provides enough grip on the rubber of the eyepiece to be secure (but not secure enough to walk around with the camera in situ which isnt of interest to me).

I also added this cable release adapter. An added bonus is that when not in use the cable release is stopped from moving around as it is secured by the magnet in the scope case's eyepiece cover.

The attached photos illustrate the new set up.

A = the whole setup
B = close up of the camera and cable release mechanism
C = close up the slip ring adapter

Now just need to go and test the thing out!

Attachments

• A L1020877.jpg
    A L1020877.jpg
    109.7 KB · Views: 396
  • B L1020880.JPG
    B L1020880.JPG
    70.9 KB · Views: 353
  • C L1020886.JPG
    C L1020886.JPG
    55.9 KB · Views: 354
Hi Steve

This is impressive looking, simple and very neatly made, and I like your thinking re - using the original lens cap ! Just the sort of thing I need to look at, however my old F31d finepix does not have a thread on it for a fixed collar....

How have you got on with it anyway ? Is the lens cap sturdy enough to hold the setup ?

I've just got the APO65 we discussed on another thread, my trusty old Finepix F31d will work through it but it has to be perfectly centred to get an image, much more precise than my old set up with the APO 62, a couple of mil out and the image is gone. The field of view isn't as wide as my old 32xWW on the 62, and vignetting is now occurring (assume this is to do with the narrower field of view ?).

Howdie. Sorry, I've only just seen your post.

Yes, the setup is working fine. See attached pic.

I rarely use my scope at home, bird only with my bins, so I haven't taken it out in anger but everything OK. The eyecup is plenty strong enough to hold it all. But you cant walk around with it sat on the eyepiece - it will fall off. You can grabs the legs and walk short distances with the whole setup upright, but you can't throw it over your shoulder without the camera hitting the deck.

Whilst its OK, its still far from what I want. I used solely the 20xWA on my APO77 with the camera lens slotting in to just the bored out eyecup. It was a small, neat and very simple to use. It also fitted in a tiny bag which lived on my tripod. If I dismantle all the new kit it takes an age to set it up, so I like to keep it all together which means it is no longer small, neat and simple! And it needs a much bigger bag. So this will do for now but my aim is to get back to something similar to what I used to have.

Its only a small step down from the Leica digi adaptor which is excellent if you want to keep the digi kit sat on you eyepiece when you move around since it has a tightening screw to lock it on.

The problem your experiencing is down to the reduced field of view of the eyepiece and the difference between the focal lengths of the new scope and your existing camera. I bought a new camera because of this to optimize my setup but you end up with less critical centering. But if you can someone to drill out your eyecup, bang on centre to the millimeter, then I'm sure you'll be OK.

Attachments

• Little Owl P1000087.JPG
    Little Owl P1000087.JPG
    326.6 KB · Views: 246
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back