• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Zoom digital compact. (1 Viewer)

mike from ebbw

Hi,my 8 year old daughter is getting into birding/photography.Can anyone recommend a digital compact with a zoom of say 8x that she could use.Her birthday is coming up and she has asked for a camera so she can come with me to my feeding station and take some pics.Thanks,

Mike.

Mike,

I would look at the Panasonic FZ8 too. Couple of reasons really - it looks like a DSLR, a work colleague of mine just bought one and she is quite impressed with it, she said it is quite light in her hands so that might be a consideration for a smaller person? It has a viewfinder, 12x opticla zoom and has controls that cater for beginner and enthusiatic learner too...including RAW !! The one thing that interested me was the price...I have seen it for just £185 somewhere on line.

http://www.cameras.co.uk/camera-reviews/panasonic-dmc-fz8.cfm

Mike,

Texted my colleague and asked her to go and take a picture (preferably a bird!!) and this is what she sent me....said it was taken in her garden and was a good 30 ft away.

Attachments

• Pigeon (Medium).jpg
    Pigeon (Medium).jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 163
I'll second Panasonic Mike
I've got an F-Z7 which may still be available for £125 ish
Fantastic Zoom and IS and lots of other features
Regards
Tony

Attachments

• P1020706bf.jpg
    P1020706bf.jpg
    184.6 KB · Views: 171
Aye, apologise for me please. I had the mobile out to look for your number and then put it in my pocket (without locking it) to go out...as I was driving up the road it must have dialed into your home...I could hear this little "hello hello" in the car and couldn't work out where it was coming from !!

I have been considering the FZ8, FZ7, S5IS or the S3IS. I expect dpreview will be reviewing the S5IS soon. Unfortunately it is quite a bit more expensive than the FZ8.

I expect dpreview will be reviewing the S5IS soon. Unfortunately it is quite a bit more expensive than the FZ8.
Yes, dpreview says the S5IS is "next in the queue." They have already done some preliminary testing on the S5 which you can see in comparisons against the just reviewed Sony H7:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/SonyH7/

Hopefully, by about maybe October the price of the S5 will be down to about what the S3 was costing at the same time last year (about say $330 - 350).

Thanks for the advice everyone.After scouring the `net and shops to find one in my price range (about £100,she wants a new mobile as well!) came across the Kodak easyshare Z something or other.It boasts 6.1 mp and 10x optical zoom.It also looks like a mini DSLR (just like Dads!).Just had a read of the review on dpreview and for the money it looks pretty good.Comet are doing them at half price at £89.99.

Thanks for the advice everyone.After scouring the `net and shops to find one in my price range (about £100,she wants a new mobile as well!) came across the Kodak easyshare Z something or other.It boasts 6.1 mp and 10x optical zoom.It also looks like a mini DSLR (just like Dads!).Just had a read of the review on dpreview and for the money it looks pretty good.Comet are doing them at half price at £89.99.

Nice one Mike,

I am sure she will love it - she will be down the feeder with you regularly I expect. Look foward to seeing her 1st results on here!

Oh,no doubt Alan!Met your son this evening by the way.He was up the pond fishing.Had another go at those Buzzards.If the sun had been out when I took them I would have had some crackers.I will have another go in the week.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back