• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Large Owl - Horstead, Norfolk (1 Viewer)

Louis_P

Average Birder
My friend saw an 'owl' in woodland area at dusk last night. He said it was very large ('1 foot and a half', he said - I am a bit sceptical of that description though). Here is the link for the RSPB forum post with photos but please do comment on here (I know there are better experts here =D).

Edit - probably the most useful thing is an audio clip of the hissing, found here.

Last edited:
Looks like a bog standard Tawny Owl to me.

I am pleased someone beat me to that reply.
We had a Tawny on the fence last week and my wife, used to them in flight, and to barn owls, commented on the very big owl...
It was normal to me, so there can be perception issues due to experience and environment.
H

Also, when disturbed or threatened, like a lot of other birds and creatures they will puff up, posture and attempt to look much larger accompanied by the "hissing" alarm call to help ward off an attack or challenge. There is also the liklihood of nearby young owlets that have branched out from a nest hole.

That's what I thought but he was adamant it was bigger but then again his sightings haven't always reliable.

Size is always wrong in cases where a birder is being asked for an opinion on a bird. "Blackbird-sized" covers everything from a Pied Wagtail to a Carrion Crow!

When it is wrong, its often an over-estimate. Tourist eagle anyone?

John

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back