• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Faulty camera (1 Viewer)

Peewit

Once a bird lover ... always a bird lover
hi there

Can anyone advice me about dealing with Nikon as a manufacturer.

We bought a camera last November 2011, (Nikon D7000), and it is a faulty model (meaning it had never worked properly at all). It is nothing relating to the battery at all, or any other area of the camera other than the main body part.

We have been told that Nikon will repair the model we have. what i want to know is if Nikon will fix this camera as it is, or give us a new model (a new model...which I feel we should get, as it was a dud in the first place)

We want this camera to be working before we go on holiday in May time this year..but I am not holding my breath, and I feel very negative about the service that we will receive...I feel a Watchdog moment coming on here :gh:

Anyone had a similar experience at all, and how did they get on?

Regards
Kathy
x

Surely your first point of contact is the organisation who sold you the camera, not Nikon. It will depend on their response as to whether you then go direct to Nikon.
Reading between the lines it sounds as if you have a grey import and are trying to find out if your misfortune has applied to anyone else. Like most manufacturers Nikon would not entertain a free repair/replacement if this has been the case!

Hi Geoff

We bought the camera from Jessops (local shop)

Jessops have said to my OH today (he visited their shop and had a one to one with them where we bought the camera) that we can get the repair done through Jessops, or Nikon. Now we are in 2 frames of mind which is the best option for us.

I think we have been unlucky to have a bad experience with a faulty product. I am sure that it is a rare thing to happen, as the D7000's are excellent camera's from what I have read and understood from other people experiences of using the same product.

Regards
Kathy
x

Last edited:
Hi Geoff

We bought the camera from Jessops (local shop)

Jessops have said to my OH today (he visited their shop and had a one to one with them where we bought the camera) that we can get the repair done through Jessops, or Nikon. Now we are in 2 frames of mind which is the best option for us.

I think we have been unlucky to have a bad experience with a faulty product. I am sure that it is a rare thing to happen, as the D7000's are excellent camera's from what I have read and understood from other people experiences of using the same product.

Regards
Kathy
x
In that case i would cut out the middleman and go straight to Nikon. It could save you on turnaround time. I also have a Nikon D3100, no problems with it so yours must have slipped through quality control somewhere in the manufacturing stage. Hope all is soon sorted out.

If I were you I'd go back to Jessop's and demand a replacement camera. Under the sale of goods act they are responsible and should replace it if it's faulty. After all, you've parted with the money for a camera so you shouldn't be without a camera while the dud is away being fixed!

Nick

I agree with Nick, it's not merchantable quality and it should only be replaced. I bet Amazon would have swapped it and they would argue with the importer. Call Jessops head office and complain 😡

If the camera hasn't worked from new I would have been back sooner as over four months have now already gone by. Trying to argue that it has never worked will probably sound a little odd to them.
I had a problem with my D200 that I bought from a local dealer and they sent the camera to Lehmann's for repair under warranty. It was gone for months and was very frustrating.
My D300s was purchased from WEX and when I had the same problem with that they suggested I sent it straight to Nikon to save time which I did do. Fair play to Nikon it was returned in 2 weeks although they disputed that the problem was covered by warranty before agreeing to the repair as an act of goodwill.
The reason my D200 took so long was probably the same dispute but I was unaware of what was happening and the messages were being relayed between three parties excluding me.
My advice would be to speak to Nikon and send it to them directly. If there is a problem with the camera they will sort it quickly.
If you argue the case with Jessops you could waste more time and still not have the successful outcome of getting the camera replaced until Nikon have had a look at it to confirm why it isn't working.If you have been prepared to wait 4 months before getting back to Jessops what difference will a few days make anyway?

Dave, the who is not the issue here, I think that the sales of goods act would normally warrant a replacement not repair, one for citizens advice I guess. I'd be very pee'd off with Nikon if I'd spent over £1000 and it was faulty within months. My recent experiences with Nikon service left a scar which if I had the money, I'd move to canon, not because their better but Nikon service sucks (my experience), in my feedback I told them as such but they don't seem bothered if your not a pro user.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back