• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

7D Error 01 message (1 Viewer)

Neil Morris

After just four months my new 7D has packed up, displaying an error message "01 Communication between lens and camera has been lost" or similar.

Is this a common problem and are there any potential fixes worth trying before sending it back to Canon? I have taken out the battery, switched on for a while and then off again to discharge the capacitor. I have taken out the memory card. I have gently cleaned the camera-lens contacts ... But the error persists. The mirror won't lock up for Live View, or sometimes it stays locked up and won't drop again to resume still shooting. Oh, and firmware is the latest release.

Any suggestions? Thanks.

I've just had the same 01 error message and communication loss message on my 60D. In my case it was caused by moving the camera from a hot to a cold environment which caused condensation. I put it in the airing cupboard for a couple of days but unfortunately it was unsuccessful, and being out of guarantee I'm paying the £184.50 fixed charge.:eek!:

I don't know if this error message comes up for any error, or whether it is specific to a condensation situation.

If you have got it wet I'd try the airing cupboard, and then get it off to canon ASAP if that doesn't work.

I've just had the same 01 error message and communication loss message on my 60D. In my case it was caused by moving the camera from a hot to a cold environment which caused condensation. I put it in the airing cupboard for a couple of days but unfortunately it was unsuccessful, and being out of guarantee I'm paying the £184.50 fixed charge.:eek!:

I don't know if this error message comes up for any error, or whether it is specific to a condensation situation.

If you have got it wet I'd try the airing cupboard, and then get it off to canon ASAP if that doesn't work.

Thanks Steve. That's certainly a possibility out here in the Middle East. Appreciate the suggestion, Neil

error 01 is the contacts between camera and lens or even a lose fitting lens to camera, try cleaning the contacts again on the lens and camera.

Rob.

Same here, it sounds like the contacts on the lens and camera body need a clean. Just rub them over with a lens cleaning cloth. Some people advocate using a pencil eraser.

Certainly wasn't that with me. The camera had been working fine all morning. I'd been out about four hours in bitterly cold weather. I then put it in the car and had the heating on full. I then changed the lens to a small one on arriving home, and went out into the cold again to take some garden shots. I made a further error in taking the lens off outside to rub the contacts.

As I say, two days later still knackered.

Hope it works for you though. Either way you are under guarantee.

Fixed!

So ... after a couple of attempts at fixing it, a new powerboard and then a new main board, Canon finally resolved the problem. The problem appeared to be caused by one or more of the components on the boards. It proved to be inconsistent and difficult to track down.

The contacts and fittings etc. were all fine.

I have to give credit where credit is due. The staff at Canon Repair Centre, Elstree, Herts dealt with it admirably - both the front-of-house customer service staff and the technician :clap:. I called a couple of weeks in advance of dropping off the camera, gave them a very short deadline of five working days to fix it due to my travel arrangements, and they got the job done - even though it took two attempts - within this deadline. And they were very considerate re the overseas warranty situation. So hats off to them.

I'm back on a plane to the Middle East tomorrow, so if you'd like to know how I get on, keep an eye on http://www.tarsiger.co.uk/latest.htm |;|

Thanks for all your suggestions. Certainly, I'll be better informed re self-diagnosis the next time around.

Neil

Thats a good result, iv not come across anyone with this type of problem so hopefully its very rare.
Rob.

Noisy 7D

I've now had the chance to enjoy a good few sunny weeks in the Middle East shooting with my 7D + 300mm f2.8 MkII, more often than not with 2x MkIII extender. (See some of my results at http://www.tarsiger.co.uk/qatar.htm)

Although overall I am pleased with the results, the camera is not doing justice to the lens(es). I guess that's probably to be expected given the discrepancy in the price tags of the camera body (now down to £1,000 new) and the lens (upwards of £5,000).

But even so I am disappointed at just how noisy the 7D is. With ISO set even as low as 240-320 it's difficult to crop into an image because of the noise. And shooting into shade is a nightmare.

So here's my question ... given I'm not wanting to splash out another brick of gold on a 5D MkIII or 1D X, are there any ways I can reduce the noise, either in-camera or during 'processing'?

I'd greatly appreciate any tips on settings (7D, DPP), workflows/adjustments (PS Elements) or third-party noise reduction software.

Thanks in anticipation.

Neil

I've now had the chance to enjoy a good few sunny weeks in the Middle East shooting with my 7D + 300mm f2.8 MkII, more often than not with 2x MkIII extender. (See some of my results at http://www.tarsiger.co.uk/qatar.htm)

Although overall I am pleased with the results, the camera is not doing justice to the lens(es). I guess that's probably to be expected given the discrepancy in the price tags of the camera body (now down to £1,000 new) and the lens (upwards of £5,000).

But even so I am disappointed at just how noisy the 7D is. With ISO set even as low as 240-320 it's difficult to crop into an image because of the noise. And shooting into shade is a nightmare.

So here's my question ... given I'm not wanting to splash out another brick of gold on a 5D MkIII or 1D X, are there any ways I can reduce the noise, either in-camera or during 'processing'?

I'd greatly appreciate any tips on settings (7D, DPP), workflows/adjustments (PS Elements) or third-party noise reduction software.

Thanks in anticipation.

Neil
Hi Neil, the best way I know of minimising the noise is to make sure you do not underexpose by shooting to the right of the histogram (ETTR). If you underexpose and then lift in processing that will amplify and noise present. Assuming you shoot in RAW then some very slight clipping of the highlights (on the bird) is just about right as you have a 1/3 of a stop or so wriggle room to recover any slight overexposure (obviously you do not want to completely blow any part of the bird itself).

When processing I almost always run some aggressive noise reduction selectively on just the background as a matter of course (I use Topaz DeNoise).

Neil,

I too have learnt from Roy and others who have posted here on BF that + compensating exposure to be helpful and using RAW to optimise my chances of correction by dragging back the highlights where necessary. I use LRoom 4.3 which caters for most of my needs but if you're happy to pursue further than I have, there are other good software packages for noise reduction worth trying.

So, I would say that my 7D works well if I have good light and I'm not trying to recover under-exposed shadows. Light shouldn't be a problem in the Middle East compared to a dull February day in Blighty however.

I have example images taken with ISO200 where the noise is disappointing and not what I would have expected. On the other hand, I've also got images taken at ISO800+ where the noise is acceptable and easily corrected.

Thanks for sharing Tim - I for one found this really helpful and educational.

Needless to say I have given myself a C- with message of must try harder!

Coincidentally this link appeared in my inbox this afternoon, summarising results of tests on various noise reduction software....

http://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk/round-ups/539687/best-noise-reduction-software-applications

I have Nik Dfine 2, courtesy of the recent bundle deal for the full Nik suite for £86(ish) in total. It can indeed produce good results when Lightroom runs out of puff, but Lightroom with the right tweaks is no slouch and I rarely go beyond Lightroom for my editing.

BTW, I'm not sure it's ideal to have this "noise" discussion in a thread entitled "7D Error 01 Message. If it's to be of any interest/use to others they may not find it buried here. I nearly didn't bother looking in at all since I have no experience of Error 01. Lucky I was bored and just started picking through other threads. :)

Maybe if it's OK with Neil it would be worth having a mod separate the two topics.

Greatly appreciate all the insights that have been offered. Thank you Tim, Robin and Roy.

I can certainly relate to the problem of trying to push dull images, which is where I was coming from re shooting into shade.

I tend to shoot +1/3 most of the time. But I do it because the light is just so bright and pervasive here in the Middle East that the camera is often fooled and tends to under expose subject matter. There is just so much ambient light streaming into the lens that frequently bright landscapes/subjects can come out strangely flat and dull. And then on trying to bring these back to life, as you've already figured, more noise creeps in.

Re Tim's question, I'd be more than happy for this conversation to be moved to its own (or related) thread. I only started it here as it was a continuation of my 'experiences' with the 7D, but can certainly see the value of it being a separate thread.

Thanks also for the links and pointers to other info/threads. I will certainly read these, though am running out of time tonight.

BTW, I have just started trialling Capture One to compare with DPP. My initial observation would be that RAW files are processed to JPEG with a little too much yellow. Certainly the processed images are more vivid; maybe too vivid.

As for noise reduction, it doesn't seem to offer much more than DPP. Or maybe I am missing something.

Against your C- Robin, I'm probably at about D- !

Thanks again.

Neil

Neil,

I did some experimenting last evening using ISO6400 which ordinarily I would'nt dream of using for any type of photography. Admittedly the subjects were static and full frame but with minor effort in LR4, my results were much better than I imagined they would be.

One of the things I'm guilty of is that using max of 400mm, I crop fairly heavily at times with bird shots and in good light and low ISO, the results can be very satifying. What I haven't really tried yet is any bird photography at really high ISO, simply because I've been put off with results at only ISO800 but where I probably haven't optimised exposure.

Last edited:
7d error 1

my camera fell today and showing Err 01: Lens to body communication error. i think something went wrong with the lens what should i do and how should i clean the lens mount

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back