• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (50 Viewers)

There is a fine line between being proud of the good work you have achieved (which does merit praise) and becoming mutually congratulatory. At times it becomes very saccharine and bordering on sycophancy.

I dont know to whose comments you are refering but I do recall the word 'Tolerance' being used a few weeks back when a lively discussion about the work parties ensued.

Come on guys, there is nothing wrong with being proud of what you achieve but dont go OTT and certainly don't go letting yourselves down and taking the P**s out of an individual because they voiced an opinion about it!

Don't know who you are so I'm not going to respond to your intolerant comment :-O

There is a fine line between being proud of the good work you have achieved (which does merit praise) and becoming mutually congratulatory. At times it becomes very saccharine and bordering on sycophancy.

I dont know to whose comments you are refering but I do recall the word 'Tolerance' being used a few weeks back when a lively discussion about the work parties ensued.

Come on guys, there is nothing wrong with being proud of what you achieve but dont go OTT and certainly don't go letting yourselves down and taking the P**s out of an individual because they voiced an opinion about it!

In my very humble opinion, allowing people to express themselves however they wish on this forum is the opitome of tolerance.

Good point and we are proud, but not looking for any credit, just more birds and other wildlife and all we are doing is improving conditions and habitat to make our visits more rewarding by enticing more wildlife to the reserve. But not just for us, its for everyone. :B :)John
END OF

Last edited:
Good point and we are proud, but not looking for any credit, just more birds and other wildlifeB :)John

Amen to that, that should be the purpose of work parties to encourage the wildlife..and yes have an enjoyable time whilst doing it.

But please folks dont knock someone if they have made a comment about 'too much back patting' or whatever they said because they too are just expressing a view.

Gertatron, as for not knowing who I am, well that is irrelavent. There are many people out here (and I know quite a few) who read the Upton Forum to keep informed of whats going on and what has been seen, but never post. It is an interesting and useful thread.

All I am trying to say is that by belittling someone (ie all the sarcastic back patting comments) your making yourselves look foolish to the others of us out here who rarely post or read the thread and dont post at all. Be better than that!

In celebration of the Avocets returning, here's the 4 that were present last week. I wonder if the 6 turning up today have the same 4 in the group. Shame we can't really tell but great news none the less :t:

Attachments

• AvosLarge.jpg
    AvosLarge.jpg
    139.4 KB · Views: 60
Anyway, we are now into LRP prediction territory, so fingers crossed. :t:

We are indeed. Only Mark (hagar1) has missed out on the ale so far (bad luck by the way, Mark) - but I guess he could have another go as there are a few dates still available I believe. Did anyone go for tomorrow (the 8th) in the end?

We are indeed. Only Mark (hagar1) has missed out on the ale so far (bad luck by the way, Mark) - but I guess he could have another go as there are a few dates still available I believe. Did anyone go for tomorrow (the 8th) in the end?

I think it was Trevor Jones but I've left my little black book at home. Will update tonight

That is great news; I was worried we had frightened the four away on Sunday for good.

Peter
I must admit Peter, I thought it was unusual for them not to return during or at least after the work party. This could add a bit more credence to the 'staging post' theory.B :)John
Just browsing through my notes and I noticed Stonechat in 2010 and 2011 at this time of year at the Flashes.
Also large flocks of winter thrushes in the 'old orchard' from late February seems to be a regular thing, so a good chance of our last record coming from this area.

I must admit Peter, I thought it was unusual for them not to return during or at least after the work party. This could add a bit more credence to the 'staging post' theory.B :)John
Just browsing through my notes and I noticed Stonechat in 2010 and 2011 at this time of year at the Flashes.
Also large flocks of winter thrushes in the 'old orchard' from late February seems to be a regular thing, so a good chance of our last record coming from this area.

They did return while we were working and dropped in at the back of the flash, they stayed some time before flying off south just before the small break, didnt see them come back after flying south though
MB

As promised here is the final list of date predictions for the first return of LRP, let me know if I've missed anyone out!

6th - Mark (Hagar1) - sorry mate
8th - Des (UW82)
9th - Trevor (discors)
10th - Gert (Gertatron)
11th - Mike (Wheatearlrp)
12th - John (Upstarts)
13th - Gavo
14th - Simon (Sy V)
15th - Dave (Woodchat)
16th - Andy (Spoonbill Finder)
17th - Phil Andrews
19th - Chris (Cooky1)
20th - Jim (HenHarrier)

Last edited:
As promised here is the final list of date predictions for the first return of LRP, let me know if I've missed anyone out!

6th - Mark (Hagar1) - sorry mate
8th - Des (UW82)
9th - Trevor (discors)
10th - Gert (Gertatron)
11th - Mike (Wheatearlrp)
12th - John (Upstarts)
13th - Gavo
14th - Simon (Sy V)
15th - Dave (Woodchat)
16th - Andy (Spoonbill Finder)
17th - Phil Andrews
19th - Chris (Cooky1)

I put my name down for 20th as unlikely as it is because its my birthday B :)

Good to hear about the avocets increasing in numbers, hopefully investigating some potential nest sites in the next few weeks!

Jim

No problem Gert:t:

Was going to ask when is the next all day session that you guys do? Wouldn't mind tagging along providing it's on the weekend 8-P

Jim

It will be a day in early May - yet to be confirmed and yes, defo on a Saturday. Watch this space. There will be bacon and cake (not at the same time, although a bacon cake sandwich might be interesting thinking about it..)

It will be a day in early May - yet to be confirmed and yes, defo on a Saturday. Watch this space. There will be bacon and cake (not at the same time, although a bacon cake sandwich might be interesting thinking about it..)

Ahh okay cheers, still a few weeks off then. Every year I miss it because I miss the date. And very true Gert, a bacon/cake sandwich would be very interesting! :t:

Jim

Users who are viewing this thread

Back