• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Seemingly the bird of the moment.. (3 Viewers)

Very interesting to see the WIPs and it gives me a new appreciation for your drawing. Really elegant and precise lines that I think maybe I've missed in the finished painting because I haven't looked closely enough.

Are you going to know what to do with your time when this project is finally finished?

Very interesting to see the WIPs and it gives me a new appreciation for your drawing. Really elegant and precise lines that I think maybe I've missed in the finished painting because I haven't looked closely enough.

Are you going to know what to do with your time when this project is finally finished?

Thanks for that Ken. What to do next...hmmmmm..no idea! Hoping there's another project in the pipeline to get on with

such control at every stage, looks like you avoid the awkward stage altogether. Thanks for the Wip.....your birdies horse is lovely, really got that pink nose under the white blaze perfect.

Hey all - Blimey, a month to the day since the last post....eek! Well, the last plate is damn well finished!! Yeay!! Just gotta do the second round of tweakings and then that's finally it.....
Last plate was fun to do with some of the best birds on it - love pittas, especially the Superb (the mostly black one) but obviously had to draw the hornbills at a different scale to fit! ;)
Dunno what to do with myself now......

melanesia plate 43 (Large).jpg

Excellent stuff birdyboy.....what more can i say really?!

ps...i suggest that now you get blathered..[pissed]...either that..or get out in the field...[so raise either one 'glass' or another...essentially]..;)

That sounds a damned good idea User.......and it's a Friday (I think!!) to boot.
Glad you like the pittas, saved 'em 'specially for you ;)

Hey all - Blimey, a month to the day since the last post....eek! Well, the last plate is damn well finished!! Yeay!! Just gotta do the second round of tweakings and then that's finally it.....
Last plate was fun to do with some of the best birds on it - love pittas, especially the Superb (the mostly black one) but obviously had to draw the hornbills at a different scale to fit! ;)
Dunno what to do with myself now......

View attachment 252681

Wow... I think I shall be eternally jealous of you and these amazing plates! Absolutely incredible, really stunning work.

Brilliant and precise but with life and character to boot. Definitely get out in the sun and get some birding in! Then paint something just for you... (and us!).

Mike

The feet and legs on your paintings are always spot on.

Really Matty?? I hate doing legs and feet and often make the mistake of leaving them 'til last....don't look too carefully at the bottom pittas' feet as I got bored and haven't done them 100% yet - I'll do them when I do the tweaking I'm sure the plate'll need!! Cheers for the compliment
Painting something just for me Mike.....hmmm, that'll be a nice change!

brilliant stuff, you were spoiled, all the best birds on this plate! Now, I agree you should celebrate with a skinful, if only to make me feel less drunk alone.

Balls - another month older! Well, been busy painting doggies and have been out birding quite a bit. Have been working up old paradise-fly sketches to do a piece like the Xbill pic I did before that seemed to go down quite well. Maybe I'll make them 'my thing' ;) Here's a recent bit, a gorgeous little thing that ditched his 2 mates whilst I was there, probably the best views I've had of them anywhere! (It grates me to say it was in East Sussex!)

Red-rumped Swallow (Large).jpg

More to follow...honest!! ;)

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back