• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Intrigued!! (1 Viewer)

Ruby

HI,

I had meant to mention something that I saw at Oare Marshes on Saturday, but kinda forgot....

I was standing on the sea-wall looking out over the reed beds and 2*LBJs flew past, heading left-to-right at about 30 metres.

Didn't get much time for a look but they were smallish, chestnut brown, quite long tailed and flew pretty much in a straight line just above the top of the reed tops. They didn't bound, but flew with continous wing-beats.

If you had to use a word to describe their flight pattern, I would say 'purposeful'... they looked like they knew where they wanted to go, and were just in a hurry to get there!!

Sorry - not much info to go on I know, but anyone care to have a stab at what they might have been??

RGds.... Ruby

You know - I was kinda hoping that someone would say that!!

I'm not sure that I'll count them as a tick though - didn't really see them for long enough and not much of a view.... but at least I'm getting closer and will know what to look for next time.

Trying to get a day off work organised to get up to Minsmere in the next couple of weeks - want to try to get up there before it gets too wintry!!

Thanks.... Ruby

Although colouring sounds good for beared tit I would not rush to say that they were. The way you describe the flight sounds wrong to me - usually flight is undulating and the movement of the tail makes the flight look slightly uncontrolled.

The colouring mentioned could just as easily be reed bunting (especially if they're in the sun), which can appear fairly long tailed in flight.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back