• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Problem beak (1 Viewer)

greenbunion

Does anyone recognise the problem with this collared dove? Feeding from assorted seed didn't seem to be a problem.

Attachments

• collared dove.jpg
    collared dove.jpg
    177.6 KB · Views: 152
Hiya,

Wow! see what you mean. I'm no expert but since you have had no other replies I'll take a shot. Does not seem to be a traumatic injury (no obvious injuries around the beak or face area) could be developmental (I'd guess probably not genetic). Apparently does not affect the birds ability to feed so no reason why it should not continue to survive if not breed (At this time of year it could in fact have a brood!)

All in all an interesting bird that looks as though it knows it is a collared dove and no reason to doubt it should go on to live a fulfilled life.

Okay - having said that, experts please shoot me down!

Hmm, interesting one. It could be traumatic, i.e its flown into a window and smashed it, but the remaining bits look deformed rather than broken to me.

I think it might be a fungal attack that has eaten away the bill, probably around the nares, and affected the regrowth. A bit like those fungal infections people get on their toenails.

have seen a very similar thing on a Starling this spring, odd needle like upper mandible (and about a 3rd the length of the lower, though in that case the lower bill looked fine) .. it too fed without any problems, by tilting it's head to one side and utilising it's tounge and lower bill to pick up scraps I threw to it

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back