• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New 8X42 GR HD Binoculars? (1 Viewer)

Originally the GR was released without the HD glass and a bit more primitive eye cups. You still see the original GR for sale at pretty low prices. That price from the link can be beat pretty easily, at Eagle Optics for one.

I have heard nothing of an update to the current HD. But that does not mean there is not one. The links are a curiosity for sure, but I would think there would be some marketing fanfare for a new binocular, or that the link mixed up the identification and descriptions. Give Leupold a call monday and ask them would be what I would do.

Last edited:
The black color?

The black color and the higher list price than the brown HD version is what is making me think it may be a newer version of the HD without the HD designation. I have never seen black HD's. Plus there is currently a $100 factory rebate being offered by Leupold on the brown 42mm HD's.

I called Leupold Tech service today on another matter, but I managed to remember this thread while I was waiting for my call to be answered.

The short and sweet answer is there is no Gold Ring update either just released, or ready to be released. The tech guy called up the Optics for birding link and said the description and price for the current HD model is the price listed in the O4B link under the HD description. He said he thought that the O4B made a mistake and re posted the Gold Ring HD description when they should have posted the Switch Power description, as the price they posted matched the price for those. Not much Sherlock Holmes effort, but that is what they said, FWIW. ;)

Not only that, but there's a $100 rebate on them. $579 is an amazing deal (or $599 for the 10x, which would be my choice).

I never could see where Optics for Birding ever offered much of an incentive to buy glass from them. They are likely quite reputable and reliable for all I know. I just never thought they had good prices on their stuff.

Here's a review of the GR HD that was disappointing to read, not that the reviewer seemed to think badly of them, though he apparently liked the Vortex Viper better.

http://libertyoptics.blogspot.com/2008/08/vortex-viper-8x42-vs-leupold-gold-ring.html

He also got some of the technical terms wrong (such as "spherical aberration" for "field curvature," but it was his comments about "astigmatism" in the GR HD and how this affected resolution that I found disturbing.

Reading that part of the review was like "deja vu all over again," because it reminded me of what I saw through my 8x32 LX, which also has astigmatism, most noticeably at the top of the FOV.

The sweet spot on the 8x32 LX is lopsided, with the horizontal edges being significantly better than the vertical. I noticed this on two samples, and like the reviewer I had trouble getting both the horizontal bars and vertical bars on the resolution chart to focus at the same time on the smallest elements I could see.

Consequently, while the overall "picture" looked sharp (the excellent contrast helped), sometimes when I zeroed in on small details (bird feather crosshatching, beaks, scales on birds' feet), I'd have a hard time seeing those details without moving the features off axis to find the sharpest spot, which was below the center field or to either side of the center.

The shallow depth of focus didn't help the situation when the bird was moving around on a limb or a feeder.

The astigmatism wasn't limited to just the top, though it was most noticeable there because I couldn't refocus the top, but it was also throughout the field of view.

I didn't notice this on the full sized LXs and would have rather kept the full sized 10x42 model because of the better evenness of sharpness across the field of view. But of course, there was the "rolling ball" to contend with.

Despite this, for looking at details, the 10x42 LX was one of the sharpest bins I've used whereas the 8x32 LX gave a sharp overall picture, which worked very well for sporting events and for general use, but when it came to looking at small details on birds, I found it tedious to hunt for the off axis sweet spots and when necessary hunt for the best focus, particularly at medium distance.

Having said that, the color depth and contrast in the LX series are the best I've seen in binoculars, but between those tedious issues and trying to keep the small bin steady w/out thumb indents, it was at times frustrating to use the 8x32 LX.

I wouldn't want that type astigmatism in a bin again (or shallow depth of focus), and though I had been considering the 8x42 Gold Ring as a replacement for the 8x32 LX, because of it's "bang for the buck," larger size, and FL glass, this review turned me off.

Maybe he had a bad sample Brock? I looked through a non HD 8x32 and thought it was pretty decent. Today I'm awaiting the big brown truck for my 8x32 GR HD's! Will tell once I recieve them. Bryce.

Maybe he had a bad sample Brock? I looked through a non HD 8x32 and thought it was pretty decent. Today I'm awaiting the big brown truck for my 8x32 GR HD's! Will tell once I recieve them. Bryce.

I once owned the 10 x 32 non HDs and thought the optics were great but found the oversize eyecups unusable. Hopefully, the 32 mm HDs are better. The 42mm HDs have, thankfully, changed the eyecup design and the new HD 8 x 42s are optically stunning, albeit heavy as an anchor (the $599 net cost thanks to Binoculars.com price match policy made the purchase irresistable).

I had the 10x32 HD's and didn't like them.Too heavy,eyecup way too large,and optics just on par with the Minox 10x42 bv's. The Leupolds were larger,and heavier than the Minox's.

I had the 10x32 HD's and didn't like them.Too heavy,eyecup way too large,and optics just on par with the Minox 10x42 bv's. The Leupolds were larger,and heavier than the Minox's.

Interesting that the re-designed eyecup didn't make it to the HD 32 mm glasses (at least, not to the ones you owned). The 8 x 42 HD eyecup is, for me, a vast improvement over the non-HD 32mm series eyecup I had struggled with previously, and the optics of the 8 x 42mm model consistently produce the "Wow" response from myself and friends. The weight of the Loopys (33oz) is, however, a real challenge, and actually feel heavier than my Leica 10 x 50 BAs (40oz). I wonder why the darn things are so heavy?

For what it's worth I really like the new 8x32 HD. Optics wise I don't think it's a whole lot better than the non hd I looked at not to long ago? Ergo's on this bin for me are perfect!!! While I don't think they overwhelm me as for optics they don't underwhelm me either! The one thing is cal is better suppressed in the HD model, none in the center just a little at the edge. For just a touch above $500, $515 to be exact I'm not going to complain! While I never would have paid what these were priced at originally for this price they perform very well. Pretty sharp across the whole fov! While there isn't that wow!!! They just do everything good, not underwhelming to say the least! I think they will see alot of use the weight is a non factor to me. They fit good, focus snaps, built extremely well, very respective fov, sharp and excellent accessories! Like I said good glass. Only negative I could really find is the dof quite shallow. Bryce...

Interesting that the re-designed eyecup didn't make it to the HD 32 mm glasses (at least, not to the ones you owned). The 8 x 42 HD eyecup is, for me, a vast improvement over the non-HD 32mm series eyecup I had struggled with previously, and the optics of the 8 x 42mm model consistently produce the "Wow" response from myself and friends. The weight of the Loopys (33oz) is, however, a real challenge, and actually feel heavier than my Leica 10 x 50 BAs (40oz). I wonder why the darn things are so heavy?

I have deep set eyes and the zen 7x36 just barely fit into my sockets.The Leupolds were easily an 1/8" larger in diameter,and would sit up on the socket bones.Very uncomfortable for me.The Zens also blew them away optically.The pair of 10x32 Leupolds I had were not that sharp even in the sweet spot..not compared to the zens..Like the Zens compare to the 8x32 SE's....not even...but they are waterproof!:t:

The pair of 10x32 Leupolds I had were not that sharp even in the sweet spot..

You may well be right, Ardy, but the fault, I think, lies with the 10 x 32 configuration and not with Leupold. The idea of a 10x binocular in a size between the difficult to use 10 x 25 compact and the difficult to carry 10 x 42 standard size glasses makes a lot of sense. Unfortunately, I have yet to find any maker that has actally been successful at it. My experience to date has concerned a Leica 10 x 32 BA, Nikon LX 10 x 32, Nikon E2 10 x 35 and Leupold non-HD Gold Ring 10 x 32. All suffered from paper thin DOF and a nagging awareness of a general lack of sharpness, although I thought the Nikon was the best of the bunch optically. At the end of the day, I sold them all with no regrets. With that as background (and this afternoon's birding experience especially in mind), I still the think the Leupold 8 x 42 HDs are in a wholly different league and well worth a second look by anyone considering full size 8x glasses.

Last edited:
Yes my comments were directed at the 10x32 HD's only,and may have no bearing at all on their other sizes,which I hve not seen.

Well Ardy I'm glad that I didn't pick-up your 10x32's then! I'm really liking the 8x32 might just get an 8x43 to compliment it. It sounds like chartwell says it has good dof!

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back