• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Farne Island information (1 Viewer)

a_j_steele

Planning on hoilday to numberland next year around april\may time and planning on visiting the farne islands but was wondering what sort of time the artic terns got back to the islands.

many thanks

From experience, I rented a cottage for a week in Sea Houses starting May 13 2005. I did the full birding trip to the islands. Having done this I would go later in early June. Many of the Puffin's were under ground on eggs, got lots of pictures, birds are in your face, brilliant place but I would go later next time. If the swell is too high the boats are unable to land on Staple Island so you pay your money and take a chance...we were lucky. Well recommended trip.
Roy.

Hey

I have been each year now for a few years, we tend to go beg - mid June, and it was very active this year!!! Never seen so many artic tern chicks particularly!

It's good to get a good few days in Seahouses area, as the swell can often be too much to land on Staple, and so you give yourself more chance, in case you don't get out on the first day.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back