• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Brownsea island (1 Viewer)

Owene

Wales
Was thinking of trying for the forsters tern in Dorset/Hampshire? On Monday. It seems to be visiting the tern colony on brownsea around lunchtime.

Does anyone have any knowledge of the logistics of visiting the colony, presumably a ferry from Poole and paying for island access but how far are the terns from the boat, ia there a viewing point and how easy is year ticking red squirrel when you’re there. Anything else unusual to see there plant or insect wise.

I’m a little dubious about a south coast twitch on a warm bank holiday but presumably it’s just first come first served for the ferry and that carrying a scope around the island is doable (is it necessary for the terns?)

Gosh... no idea Owene (have enough trouble keeping up with birds LOL). Hopefully someone knowledgeable will see this, otherwise maybe post in the mammals section.

Thanks. I’d imagine they have the same origin as the arne ones and I tick those so if I see one I think I’ll count it.

I’m going first thing in case it’s spotted on a buoy somewhere first. I think the first ferry is 10. But yeah I’ve been a bit put off by the bank holiday aspect and prospect of crowds

Users who are viewing this thread

Back