• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (68 Viewers)

I was lured down for 1st visit this month by Marshy but as you know he had gone.
Only had just under an hour as I had to get off to work so after checking in at the Moors I went to the Flashes for the Plovers..but they too were no showers - but think it was me not able to find them.....
Got my 1st Avocet of the year though so that was great.

Keith :t:
1...These buggers are fast
2.Mr Teal
3...Mrs Teal
4..Yuz my dear...

Attachments

• Canon 79 060.jpg low.jpg
    Canon 79 060.jpg low.jpg
    273.7 KB · Views: 89
  • Canon 79 050 low.jpg
    Canon 79 050 low.jpg
    395.4 KB · Views: 105
  • Canon 79 052.jpg low.jpg
    Canon 79 052.jpg low.jpg
    320.4 KB · Views: 94
  • Canon 79 047.jpg low.jpg
    Canon 79 047.jpg low.jpg
    301.4 KB · Views: 89
Nice post Phil and I can only see 1 mistake!

White-winged Black Tern is on the Upton list as far as I'm aware on account of an adult on 26th September 1971, unless it has now been scrapped? Its down in the Opus as 'many observers' was anyone lucky enough to see it?

Although at the time it would have been a BBRC species it has since been taken off in 2006.

Just back from a trip from 7.00AM onwards, here are my sightings:

Sailing Pool
Mallard, Tufted Duck pair, Great Crested Grebe, 2 Grey Heron, 2 Pied Wagtail with Song Thrush, Green Woodpecker and Great Spotted Woodpecker over.

Flashes
Canada Goose, Greylag Goose, at least 2 Little Ringed Plover, 6 Avocet, 2 Oystercatcher, Coot, Moorhen, Starling, Blue Tit, Great Tit, Coal Tit, Dunnock, Robin, Black-Headed Gulls and Lesser Black-Backed Gulls. Also 3 Roe Deer and 1 Red Fox in field.

North Moors and Moors Car Park
Greenfinch, Chaffinch, Blue Tit, Great Tit, Wren, Robin, Dunnock, Chiffchaff and Reed Bunting.

Moors (only from New Hide)
Mute Swan, Canada Goose, Greylag Goose, Mallard, Tufted Duck, Teal, Coot, Moorhen, Little and Great Crested Grebe in channel next to hide, Cormorant, Lapwing, Black-Headed Gull, Lesser Black-Backed Gull, Herring Gull, Buzzard, Kestrel, Pheasant, Robin, Dunnock, Blackbird, Redwing, Greenfinch, Chaffinch, Blue Tit, Great Tit and Long-tailed Tit.

Chris

Last edited:
Nice post Phil and I can only see 1 mistake!

White-winged Black Tern is on the Upton list as far as I'm aware on account of an adult on 26th September 1971, unless it has now been scrapped? Its down in the Opus as 'many observers' was anyone lucky enough to see it?

Although at the time it would have been a BBRC species it has since been taken off in 2006.

Hi Tim - just realised that as I prepared my next post ...

Just back from a trip from 7.00AM onwards, here are my sightings:

Sailing Pool
Mallard, Tufted Duck pair, Great Crested Grebe, 2 Grey Heron, 2 Pied Wagtail with Song Thrush, Green Woodpecker and Great Spotted Woodpecker over.

Flashes
Canada Goose, Greylag Goose, at least 2 Little Ringed Plover, 6 Avocet, 2 Oystercatcher, Coot, Moorhen, Starling, Blue Tit, Great Tit, Coal Tit, Dunnock, Robin, Black-Headed Gulls and Lesser Black-Backed Gulls.

North Moors and Moors Car Park
Greenfinch, Chaffinch, Blue Tit, Great Tit, Wren, Robin, Dunnock, Chiffchaff and Reed Bunting.

Moors (only from New Hide)
Mute Swan, Canada Goose, Greylag Goose, Mallard, Tufted Duck, Teal, Coot, Moorhen, Little and Great Crested Grebe in channel next to hide, Cormorant, Lapwing, Black-Headed Gull, Lesser Black-Backed Gull, Herring Gull, Buzzard, Kestrel, Pheasant, Robin, Dunnock, Blackbird, Redwing, Greenfinch, Chaffinch, Blue Tit, Great Tit and Long-tailed Tit.

Chris

Cheers Chris - Coal Tit is a good bird for the Flashes as Spring (proper) approaches

Upton Warren Tick List

In response to several recent requests I attach an Upton Warren tick list with all 236 species recorded on the reserve on one side of A4.

If time permits over the Bank Holiday I will try to produce a dedicated Spring tick list to assist with the increased coverage in April and May.

Attachments

• UW tick list.doc
    152 KB · Views: 103
BBRC Birds at Upton

As described by John last week, records of bird sightings from Upton Warren are the life blood of the reserve. Not only do they raise the profile (and therefore income) of the reserve but they provide a valuable statistical background that enables us to identify and then monitor trends in population / breeding activity / feeding patterns / migration behaviour and then manage the habitat accordingly. They also provide a wealth of hard, indisputable facts when engaging with the Trust regarding future management proposals and also in the Trust’s engagement with other bodies / funding agencies.

As part of your sightings for Upton Warren you may be lucky enough to discover a rare bird for the reserve. The log books in the hides have a number of contact numbers of key individuals who can start the local grapevine moving, including posting information on this forum.

Once a rare bird has been shared with regulars and visitors alike, there is the small matter of submitting a description and/or supporting information to the revelant body to ensure that the sighting is verified and accepted to form part of the reserve's (and county's / country's) ornithological history. The very rarest birds on a national basis are considered by the British Birds Rarities Committee, a panel comprising of a number of County Recorders. There are six species currently considered by the BBRC which have occurred at Upton Warren:

Blue-winged Teal, Black-winged Stilt, Least Sandpiper, Wilson’s Phalarope, Laughing Gull, Caspian Tern

A link to the BBRC's submission page is attached here: http://www.bbrc.org.uk/submit-a-sighting. The occurrence of any of the species considered by the BBRC at Upton Warren would be a major event and I am sure any of the regulars such as myself, John, Mike, Dave, Des etc would be happy to assist an observer in pulling together a submission if required.

The next tranche of species require a description to be submitted to the County Recorder (details below) as they are considered rare birds for Worcestershire. This is not the full list of submission species for Worcestershire but I have selected those most likely to be recorded at Upton Warren; those in bold have yet to have an accepted record from the reserve:

Whooper Swan, Bean Goose, White-fronted Goose, Brent Goose, American Wigeon, Green-winged Teal, Eider, Ring-necked Duck, Ferruginous Duck, Long-tailed Duck, Velvet Scoter, Surf Scoter, Smew, Red-breasted Merganser, Quail, Great Northern Diver, Red-throated Diver, Black-throated Diver, Fulmar, Manx Shearwater, Storm Petrel, Leach’s Petrel, Gannet, Shag, Bittern, Night Heron, Cattle Egret, Great White Egret, Spoonbill, Purple Heron, White Stork, Red-necked Grebe, Slavonian Grebe, Black-necked Grebe, Honey Buzzard, Black Kite, Marsh Harrier, Hen Harrier, Montagu’s Harrier, Goshawk, Rough-legged Buzzard, Osprey, Red-footed Falcon, Spotted Crake, Corncrake, Crane, Avocet, Stone Curlew, Kentish Plover, Dotterel, Temminck’s Stint, White-rumped Sandpiper, Pectoral Sandpiper, Purple Sandpiper, Buff-breasted Sandpiper, Spotted Redshank, Wood Sandpiper, Red-necked Phalarope, Grey Phalarope, Pomarine Skua, Great Skua, Arctic Skua, Long-tailed Skua, Ring-billed Gull, Sabine's Gull, Caspian Gull, Iceland Gull, Glaucous Gull, Little Tern, White-winged Black Tern, Sandwich Tern, Roseate Tern, Ring-necked Parakeet, Long-eared Owl, Nightjar, Alpine Swift, Bee-eater, Hoopoe, Wryneck, Golden Oriole, Red-backed Shrike, Great Grey Shrike, Firecrest, Willow Tit, Bearded Tit, Woodlark, Shorelark, Red-rumped Swallow, Yellow-browed Warbler, Savi’s Warbler, Aquatic Warbler, Marsh Warbler, Waxwing, Rose-coloured Starling, Bluethroat, Black Redstart, Richard’s Pipit, Water Pipit, Serin, Twite, Mealy Redpoll, Arctic Redpoll, Common Rosefinch, Cirl Bunting, Snow Bunting, Lapland Bunting, Rustic Bunting, Little Bunting

Attached below are the contact details of the County Recorder:

<[email protected]>
6 Norbury Close, Redditch, Worcs B98 8RP
01527 60169

The County Recorder is assisted by a Rarities Panel of experienced local birders in assesing records that are submitted; at present I dont link any members of this panel who are regular visitors to Upton Warren but I stand to be corrected. A link to a guide produced by the West Midland Bird Club to assist in the writing and submission of descriptions is attached below; again I am sure thar regulars would assist those less familar in writing such descriptions:

http://www.westmidlandbirdclub.com/records/guidelines

Please note that any submission species reported at Upton Warren but then not subsequently submitted to and accepted by the County Recorder will not form part of Upton's orniothological history. The annual report now includes an appendix which details the "fate" of those submission species reported from the previous year or two (depending on the time-lag in processing submissions).

Finally, there are a number of birds that, whilst not considered rare in Worcestershire as a whole, are rare in a local context at Upton Warren. In has therefore been decided to form a low-key Upton Warren Rarities Committee to consider these sightings. It will comprise of myself as the annual report writer, Mike Wakeman and Des Jennings as the report's editors, and Dave Walker and John Belsey as experienced birders. The aim is to provide a "light touch" review of this type of bird. UWRC will consider the following species; the basis being 10 records or less in the last 15 years:

Bewick's Swan, Pink-footed Goose, Egyptian Goose, Red-crested Pochard, Scaup, Red-legged Partridge, Grey Partridge, Grey Plover, Knot, Turtle Dove, Short-eared Owl, Dipper, Ring Ouzel, Nightingale, Wood Warbler, Pied Flycatcher, Marsh Tit, Hawfinch, Corn Bunting

As with county recording this list will change in time as the frequency of the stated species varies. Please dont feel offended if you are requested to produce a couple of lines of supporting information should you be lucky enough to spot of the the above (ideally in the log books at the time of the sighting if possible, together with a name and contact details). As with the previous two categories, the availability of photographs greatly assists in the processing and verification of such reports.

Happy birding (and rarity finding!) :t:

Hi Phil I assume Rustic Bunting is no longer a BBRC rarity (not that I keep up with their various reviews), but was it at the time of SMW finding it ?

While at UW this afternoon I had a walk along the public footpath around the education reserve, not much noted but a Siskin was singing from a bush by the stream.
Geoff

Correct - Rustic Bunt came off BBRC in the mid 2000s but ironically has been very scarce in recent years

... but as it has been seen at Upton it shouldn't be in bold. |:d|

Nice post Phil, summarises the issues over submissions, or lack of them, very well.

But perhaps it needs to be highlighted that if you don't submit something, whether it requires a description or not, it won't be mentioned in the WMBC report. That may not be a concern to some, and that is their prerogative, but equally those people then have no room for complaint if their record doesn't appear in the report.

Friday 29th March

SAILING POOL
11 GC Grebe, 1 Cormorant, 2 Tufted Duck, 4 Coot

MOORS POOL
4 GC Grebe, 5 Little Grebe, 10 Cormorant, 2 Grey Heron, 2 Shelduck, 15 Shoveler (6 pairs + 3 additional males), 6 Gadwall (3 pairs), 2 Teal, 29 Tufted Duck, 2 LBB Gull, 8 Moorhen, 20 Lesser Redpoll + 1 Siskin on east side, 2 Mute Swan, 30 Canada Geese, 1 Greylag Geese, c30 Common Snipe, 2 Jack Snipe in Amy's Marsh, Fieldfare + Redwing, Herring Gull, Kingfisher, 4 Oystercatcher, female Cetti's Warbler

FLASHES
2 LRP, 6 Avocet, 2 Oystercatcher, 23 Curlew in roost by 6:15pm, 2 LBB Gull, 4 Teal, 12 Coot, 6 Moorhen, c500 Starling roosting in trees east of the Flashes, 28 Canada Geese.
Was just packing up to leave with JTB when I noted a black hooded gull in the roost - a nice adult Mediterranean Gull progressing into summer plumage but not quite there (still a white forehead, John will hopefully have some photos). It appeared to be yet another Polish ringed bird, sporting red ring PKE2. As with the bird earlier this month I will contact the scheme co-ordinator.

Med Gull tonight

Here it is Phil, The ring was washed out and Phil had difficulty discerning the characters, thus it didn't come out too well in the Photos. The left leg, had a smaller whitish ring on it.

Attachments

• 1.med gDSCF7022 (2).JPG
    1.med gDSCF7022 (2).JPG
    277.3 KB · Views: 167
  • 2.Med G DSCF7024 (2).JPG
    2.Med G DSCF7024 (2).JPG
    266.6 KB · Views: 144
  • 3.med gS0037041 (4).JPG
    3.med gS0037041 (4).JPG
    255.2 KB · Views: 153
Last edited:
The Med wasnt easy to pick up tonight - John's first photo replicates its stance when I found it facing away. However it does show the rewards of staying for the roost at the Flashes, which is always under-watched.

With several Little Gulls knocking around neighbouring counties at the moment (esp Staffs) its worth keeping a close eye on those gulls.

Last edited:
I arrived at 8.30am and stayed until 6.30pm, although the sun shone for a good period, its power was negated by the cold E-NE winds. However a few Chiffchaffs have managed to get through.
In addition to Phil's sightings:
Flashes: Snipe 8 feeding in sewage meadow, BHG 500 roosting, water rail 2 by bridge, peregrine, buzzard 4, stock dove 12, kingfisher, redwing 50, song thrush, chiffchaff 2, siskin,

MOORS: Herring gull, RED KITE flew over the moors and off SE, kestrel, sparrowhawk, Buzzard 4, water rail 2 calling in sluice basin, stock dove 4, cettis warbler calling in cut reed area and later on other side of causeway,

NORTH MOORS :teal 2, water rail 3 (including 1 in front of the north screens) , meadow pipit 5 moving north, goldcrest.
fieldfare c30, redwing 10 all moving north.

A total of 64 species. with 3 new for the year Red Kite, LRP, Med Gull.
Pic of snipe in feeding station.

Attachments

• snipe FstanS0017003 (2).JPG
    snipe FstanS0017003 (2).JPG
    309.1 KB · Views: 123
Donation

Many thanks to Graham(Grayman) for making a kind donation towards our joint fund-raising venture.
Paul's (lesser kestrel) sponsored weight-loss and the Spring 'all-Dayer' birdwatch.
B :)John

Users who are viewing this thread

Back