• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Opticron Imagic BGA SE 7x42 (2 Viewers)

Petrus82

I bought this binocular two weeks ago for half the SRP. Yesterday was the first chance I have had to try it out in the field. I think it is simply outstanding. To my eyes, it is sharper than anything else in the price range. I paid £219 and I don't think anything could touch it at double the price. In fact, I find it sharper than the Zeiss Conquest HD. Of course, the FOV is narrower. I can live with that! The Hawke Sapphire is good, but build quality I've found suspect and edge sharpness not so good.

Does anyone use this binocular? How do you find it??

Congratulations! It takes a wise man to choose a 7x these days.;)

The Imagic is a very nice, high quality Japanese made binocular, and that's a fantastic price. It certainly made my short list, but in the end I went for the more compact Opticron Classic 7x36.... but that offer wan't on the table at the time.

I know you have a 12x50 as well. I personally think a 7x plus 12x is a really versatile combination and does pretty much everything I need.

Have fun!

David

Congrats, I have this one purchased for the same amazing price, optically very good IMO , I remember posting in Franks thread (closest thing to an alpha) how good the bga SE range is, and IMO the jewels in Opticron's roof bins.

The pick to me is the 10x, but I don't really care for tens.

Thanks boys.

I used them today at a Local Nature Reserve. Quite simply outstanding.

David, had the 12s with me too. For £59 they are unbelievable. Pin sharp and very bright.

I'm never sure if the letters really mean anything in reality but B can mean long eye relief and GA armoured. I suppose SE might mean special edition but no idea otherwise.

David

I'm never sure if the letters really mean anything in reality but B can mean long eye relief and GA armoured. I suppose SE might mean special edition but no idea otherwise.

David

My perfect job would be coming up with the names! How about the Zeiss Domination XP or the Swarovski Platinum UE?

I don't think anything could touch it at double the price

This is certainly a very good binocular and the challenge, for the devil's advocate, would be to find a model of the same spec (7x42 roof) to compare it against at twice the price (iro £450).

It's a very thin market for 7x42s, being either junk or alphas. Closest on price would be the Habitch (porro) but you may find it a world apart.

It's a great buy though and definately a bin to use and enjoy :t:

Zeiss Domination XP

My perfect job would be coming up with the names! How about the Zeiss Domination XP or the Swarovski Platinum UE?

Opticron Imagic BGA SE ... Embargoing Optic A sic

Some may see Zeiss as the personalised numberplate of the bino-world ... the megalomanic black armour ... disposable objective lens covers tossed in the bin with a casual flick of the wrist ... wierd t.i.o.l.i. facial fit ... Zeiss Domination, Troubabdor will be on in a minute with his whip out :-O

This is certainly a very good binocular and the challenge, for the devil's advocate, would be to find a model of the same spec (7x42 roof) to compare it against at twice the price (iro £450).

It's a very thin market for 7x42s, being either junk or alphas. Closest on price would be the Habitch (porro) but you may find it a world apart.

It's a great buy though and definately a bin to use and enjoy :t:

Of course usability has a lot to do with things. I don't know how comfortable I would find the Habicht with the very short eye relief. Plus, I don't know if I would be happy to pay c£600 for fold down eye cups.

Must admit I wasn't very keen on the Habicht 7x42. I could just about get the 14mm ER with glasses and the centre was very sharp, but the view characteristics were very different from the 8x30 or the Opticron 7x42 for that matter. The AFOV is tiny (45.5*) and with strong field curvature it means the sweet spot is minuscule. Didn't do it for me.

The Nikon EDG is my favourite 7x42 but 6 times the price of the Imagic is a heck of a difference.

David

Must admit I wasn't very keen on the Habicht 7x42. I could just about get the 14mm ER with glasses and the centre was very sharp, but the view characteristics were very different from the 8x30 or the Opticron 7x42 for that matter. The AFOV is tiny (45.5*) and with strong field curvature it means the sweet spot is minuscule. Didn't do it for me.

The Nikon EDG is my favourite 7x42 but 6 times the price of the Imagic is a heck of a difference.

David

David,

A friend of mine said something similar about the Habicht. He didn't find it outstanding at all.

The EDG is something I must have a look at. Yes, six times the price of the Opticron. Is there anything that could come close to the £219....or even the full price of £439?

You may find a used Slc or Meopta for around the full bga price, but they would`nt afaik have dielectric prism coatings.

The bga se is very close to the leading optics overall.

Last edited:
You may find a used Slc or Meopta for around the full bga price, but they would`nt afaik have dialectric prism coatings.

The bga se is very close to the leading optics overall.

Do the BGA SE have dielectric coating? I know they have the OASIS but is this similar?

Do the BGA SE have dielectric coating? I know they have the OASIS but is this similar?

I'm sure the 'Oasis coating' is dielectric. I've noted an improvement or evolution in the colour balance though so it might not be surprising if the number of layers or materials used had changed a bit over the years.

David

Is there anything that could come close to the £219....or even the full price of £439?

Apart from the Opticron Classic 7x36 you mean. ;)

The Viking MD 6.5x32 is a bit of a bargain at the sell off price with a nice sharp view but the build quality is a bit rough. The Meopta Meopro 6.5x32 is certainly better built than the Viking with a flatter view, but the samples I've tried didn't appear as sharp. I had high hopes for the Celestron Granite 7x33 but the one I tried wasn't great, but I think it's worth another look. Can't think of any current 7x42s in that price range.

David

I too tried the bargain BGA 7x42. My experience of them was that the narrow FOV might have become a problem for me over time, but a sweet-spot fault caused me to return them.
I have a Viking MD 6.5x32 which is a very nice example, and is also a bargain at £99 (if that deal from Viking is still available).
For me, none of these made me want to sell my Bushnell Excursion EX7x36. Although others were possibly a little better in the size of the sweet spot or in the focus mechanics, none had the same wide, contrasty view in such a compact package.
A used Leica 7x42BN pretty much ended my search for a 7x, although a lighter weight 7x42 (EGD?) may be in my future.

Dave

Petrus, David, if the change is due to the Oasis coating (yes, dielec., AFAIK) it would be in the materials, not the no. of layers, as Opt.'s own lit has been stating that as 64 |8.| for some years now. BTW, glad to know |=)| about the change - didn't seem to work for me a few yrs back |!|.

The Viking MD 6.5x32 is a bit of a bargain at the sell off price with a nice sharp view but the build quality is a bit rough. The Meopta Meopro 6.5x32 is certainly better built than the Viking with a flatter view David

Agreed, this is a hardy bin with miles of ER, and I like it despite the comparatively high degree of field curvature.

I've found it to be nice and fairly bright, with good contrast and colour. I like the wide FOV (just great for quick acquisition of birds in flight or coming in to perch), the reduced percieved hand temor with the lower power, the tight diopter and the smooth quick focus. With regular use the focus has loosened (not a bad thing), as have the twist up eye cups which rattle a little more.

It has high control of CA for me, very good for a budget non-ED Chin.-bin.

Although it cannot be used in freezing weather it has survived optically unchanged being frozen overnight in my domestic freezer. The absence of branding on the centre column button is a plus for me but I replaced the low-grade strap and have taped the objective covers in place (they will fly off in constant use). The eyepiece covers are a very good fit.

The manufacturer claims that it is 100% waterproof, I'll try an immersion test when I have time.

A good knock-about £100 binocular, but for me not worth it's full rrp., for that money there have been much better buys recently. It has no where near as good glass as the Conquest HD and is miles below the performance of the EDG 7x42.

I like the EDG - the ergos fit for me as I can use it with one hand if necessary, I can't do that with a brick of a Zeiss.

The Viking is a great buy though I sold mine on as I found 6.5 just a bit too low for me and preferred 7x overall, also its a bit heavy for a 32mm glass.

I`v always understood Oasis to be dielectric, I was amazed how much better the bga se was next to my pre oasis dba.

Is there going to be a 7x42 Conquest soon though ?

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back