• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Torn between the ~$1000 options.. (2 Viewers)

Akhil O

Hi! I'm in the US and been a birder for a couple decades now. I'm looking to upgrade from my current Bushnell legend L series, which are very good for the price, but I feel I could do better? Maybe just an upgrade itch talking.

The prime targets for me are the Opticron Aurora VHD and Monarch HG 10x42s. I've read great things about both, but theres no way to test the Opticrons here, unless I buy and return.

In terms of my priorities, I want a wide FOV and AFOV, well controlled CA and no glare(sensitive to this), and as good a view through my high power glasses as without glasses. I also like a flat field and perfect sharpness out to at least 80% of the field, great contrast and color.

In the binoculars I see frequently mentioned here, there seem to be a few winners, and that left me very confused.

1. Monarch HG, I liked them and seemed a safe choice with good wide views.
2. Aurora VHD, not as many users as the Monarchs, and not sure about warranty in the US now, but potentially even better than the HG in the sweet spot?
3. Zeiss Conquest HD: looked good but I preferred the wider feeling view and weight of the HG. I've read about more CA issues too, but the store demo obviously didn't help.

So I think in this budget it mainly came to these two, with prices hovering around $850 new (mhg) and $800 used ($1000 new) for the Auroras.

The other option of course is to hold out and get either used SWLs or SFLs, by adding nearly $500, which is a lot. I'm not sure how different the quality will be... Haven't had a chance to look through either of those.

Any pointers or help would be appreciated! This will be my first serious binocular upgrade so I want to think it through before jumping the gun.

Thanks!

I had the Zeiss SF 8x42 and switched to Opticron Auror 8x42.

I miss nothing from the SF as I bird and use binoculars over water a tonne, and found the Zeiss SF had a terrible bright blue ring around the edges if the sun glare and sea conditions were present. The Aurora solved that, and gives me a wonderfully relaxed professional-grade view.

I wouldn't swap back after a year and a half of the Opticron.

Thanks Ratal, I've read your extensive praise for these and become very curious indeed. Do you know anything about their warranty coverage in the US given that they aren't selling through many channels anymore?

And if I buy used through an authorized reseller would they perform repairs if ever needed?

Thanks Ratal, I've read your extensive praise for these and become very curious indeed. Do you know anything about their warranty coverage in the US given that they aren't selling through many channels anymore?

And if I buy used through an authorized reseller would they perform repairs if ever needed?

Opticron's very own Pete Gamby is here on BF. See if you can message him as he will have all the details. As for the Opticron Aurora? I'm done searching for an 8x42. One and done.

Hi! I'm in the US and been a birder for a couple decades now. I'm looking to upgrade from my current Bushnell legend L series, which are very good for the price, but I feel I could do better? Maybe just an upgrade itch talking.

The prime targets for me are the Opticron Aurora VHD and Monarch HG 10x42s. I've read great things about both, but theres no way to test the Opticrons here, unless I buy and return.

In terms of my priorities, I want a wide FOV and AFOV, well controlled CA and no glare(sensitive to this), and as good a view through my high power glasses as without glasses. I also like a flat field and perfect sharpness out to at least 80% of the field, great contrast and color.

In the binoculars I see frequently mentioned here, there seem to be a few winners, and that left me very confused.

2. Aurora VHD, not as many users as the Monarchs, and not sure about warranty in the US now, but potentially even better than the HG in the sweet spot?
3. Zeiss Conquest HD: looked good but I preferred the wider feeling view and weight of the HG. I've read about more CA issues too, but the store demo obviously didn't help.

So I think in this budget it mainly came to these two, with prices hovering around $850 new (mhg) and $800 used ($1000 new) for the Auroras.

The other option of course is to hold out and get either used SWLs or SFLs, by adding nearly $500, which is a lot. I'm not sure how different the quality will be... Haven't had a chance to look through either of those.

Any pointers or help would be appreciated! This will be my first serious binocular upgrade so I want to think it through before jumping the gun.

Thanks!
I think you’d be splitting hairs with all the $1000 range choices. Some are a tad better on CA, some have a slightly larger (almost unnoticeable) FOV, and others slightly better on glare. There’s none here that really stand out in any area, they’re all very good in this category. If I had to choose a standout on best CA correction it wold be the Genesis, but that’s a 8.5x44 and it’s a little heavey for a 42/44. The GPO is another excellent choice and i find them to be very similar to the Conquest, almost a clone optically, but much more elegant build. The Opticron has never been one of my favorites, possibly more popular overseas. The three Ive had were not the best in any category, and I had issues with all three.

The SFL 40 may not give you what you want if CA and FOV is on the priority list, optically it’s definitely a slight bump from the $1000 level. I’d probably lean towards the GPO, MHG and Conquest, and if weight wasn’t to big a concern, the Genesis. If you were open to spending another $500 my choice would be a nice used Swarovski EL in 8.5x42. Better in every category thatn the others mentioned , a true premium alpha level optic. FOV is still very good considering it’s 8.5, eyebox comfort is probably about the best there is next to the Nikon EDG, which is another phenomenal choice.

Good luck

Paul.

You should also consider Swarovski 7x42 SLC, 8x30 SLC Mark III or IV and 7x30 SLC Mark III or IV , they are amazing, built like a tank and they have lifetime warranty.

Thanks!
Sorry I missed you wanted 10x42. My suggestions for the 8x apply for the 10x as well.

Thanks!
Hello, you would be well advised to check into the Leupolds Santiam, these binos are at the top of their class.
I am also a birder and I can tell you with complete confidence that after you look thru one of them in the Santiam class, you will love them.
Take care.

Hello, you would be well advised to check into the Leupolds Santiam, these binos are at the top of their class.
I am also a birder and I can tell you with complete confidence that after you look thru one of them in the Santiam class, you will love them.
Take care.
I have the Santiam BX-5 15x56 HD and find them quite good; however, due to modest off-axis sharpness, high CA and their weight which is higher than most 15x56s, I can certainly not rate them „top of their class“.

I have the Santiam BX-5 15x56 HD and find them quite good; however, due to modest off-axis sharpness, high CA and their weight which is higher than most 15x56s, I can certainly not rate them „top of their class“.
The gentleman in this thread is not looking for a 15 power but an 8 or a 10.
I am not proned to see CA thru a binocular, and off axis sharpness? My 8x42 and 12x50's Leupold Santiams are sharp to the edges no question.
Also when you glass thru any 15x power binocular you better be doing it thru a good tripod and not hand held, so your comment about the 15x56 being heavy is totally garbage.
Also you can find CA in every binocular, some more than others.

Also when you glass thru any 15x power binocular you better be doing it thru a good tripod and not hand held, so your comment about the 15x56 being heavy is totally garbage.
Ah, you have read somewhere about 15x binoculars ? I am impressed!
Btw: the word garbage is yours, not mine. Just to make sure. Since you are new here, better ask around what kind of language is appropriate and tolerated here.

Ah, you have read somewhere about 15x binoculars ? I am impressed!
Btw: the word garbage is yours, not mine. Just to make sure. Since you are new here, better ask around what kind of language is appropriate and tolerated here.
Yes I have heard about 15X and why the weight of a 15X does not really matter since if you know anything about binos they have to be mounted on a tripod.
You are correct, I shouldn't have used that word, for that, my apologies.
I do have 4 binoculars, 2 Leupolds a Zeiss Conquest in 10x42, and a Leica Trinovid in 8x42.
So that your comment about me hearing about a 15X somewhere, which of course implies that I do not know anything about binoculars, really falls flat.
If I may ask you, what binoculars do you own.

Yes I have heard about 15X and why the weight of a 15X does not really matter since if you know anything about binos they have to be mounted on a tripod.
You are correct, I shouldn't have used that word, for that, my apologies.
I do have 4 binoculars, 2 Leupolds a Zeiss Conquest in 10x42, and a Leica Trinovid in 8x42.
So that your comment about me hearing about a 15X somewhere, which of course implies that I do not know anything about binoculars, really falls flat.
If I may ask you, what binoculars do you own.
There are indeed many binocular models that benefit from being mounted on a tripod including those with 15x magnification. Although this solves the problem of 'image-shake' it does not make the weight disappear when you want to move to a new viewpoint or when you wish to hike further up the mountain or along the coast trail.....

🤭
(Not to divert the thread, but to ask, perhaps for a new one, pretty please)
Canip, would it be possible to compare very briefly your 15x Leopolds Santium to something similar so we may understand their qualities?
I note in 15x56 format you have Swaro slc, Zeiss conquest, Meopta meostar (I am also unfamiliar with this latter).

And to be really cheeky, as you will undoubtedly mount them on various tripods to compare side by side, any comments on those tripods would also be great. You may recall I'm a manfrotto fan.

Cheers
Andy

I'm with both Paul and Ratal here. It is an exercise in hair splitting to try and ferret out significant differences between two binoculars in any particular price level. I agree with Ratal about the Aurora. It is a one and done. Mine is a 10x42and is superb. However it is no better than the Maven B1, so I'd say if the Monarch suits you I'd suggest you go with that one since you can try it first. The previously mentioned Leupold Santiam is also a better than very good binocular. I'd not feel poorly if it was the one I had. The secret to being with being happy with your choice is likely to avoid forums. They can be a good place to start, but a money pit if you fall into the rabbit hole they can provide It takes about a year of all seasons use to really work out just how good a binocular really is. Just go use it and let it tell you its story. Further, most people seem to expect to see more difference than actually exists between any two or more binoclars of the same price class. The important thing there is the ergonomics rather than the optics. The best binocular in the world is pretty useless if it doesn't fit.

I recently purchased the Nikon HG 10x42 binoculars and ended up returning them. The HG's are well made and the leather-like armor reminded me of the Bushnell poro-prism binoculars we used in the 80's for wildlife viewing. The objective lens covers took extra effort to insert them in place and didn't leave much confidence in staying put, unlike the ones on my Steiner AF binoculars. The HG's handled glare much better than my Steiner AF 8x30 and 12x40 binoculars and were clearer. At a local Audubon birding event, I was able to try the Leica Trinovids and Zeiss Conquests in the 8x42 and 10x42 powers. The Conquests are the clearer and brighter 1k binoculars I've tried. I originally wanted a 10x42 but now think an 8x42 will be more versatile and provide a more enjoyable viewing experience. I might try the HG's in an 8x42 to see if it's more of a steadiness issue than the binoculars themselves. The Opticron Aurora is next on my list as well. Good luck with your buying decision.

Using your requirements to filter the list at BH Photo brings up the Meopta MeoPro Air HDED+ in addition to all the other ones discussed above. I think the Kite Ibis ED and Lynx HD+ are also around the same price point but I'm not sure they are properly distributed in the US.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back