• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Opticron Imagic BGA SE 7x42 (1 Viewer)

The Viking is a great buy though I sold mine on as I found 6.5 just a bit too low for me and preferred 7x overall, also its a bit heavy for a 32mm glass.

That's true ; never really considered the weight, just got on and enjoyed it for it's wide relaxed view, but with the replacement strap and taped on objective covers mine weighs 770g compared to the Zeiss Conquest HD 8x32 all-up at 725g, and a Nikon 8.5x45 all-up at 785g !

With the majority of the Opticron BGA SE range now discontinued (http://www.opticron.co.uk/Pages/im_bga_se_3242.htm) the 7x42 has to be a 'silly not to' buy right now, even if you only have it as a backup seven.

the 7x42 has to be a 'silly not to' buy right now, even if you only have it as a backup seven.

Too true, even for somebody with lots of money and maybe several Alpha`s, it makes great sense as a low light miserable weather Winter bin, I tell you on a grey wet December day it trounces my 8x32SE.

Torview, re post #20, didn't the DBA always have Oasis coating on the prism? Some yrs back they added "S-type" multi-coating on a lens/es - can you be thinking of that?

Torview, re post #20, didn't the DBA always have Oasis coating on the prism? Some yrs back they added "S-type" multi-coating on a lens/es - can you be thinking of that?

I can`t be certain, I bought them in 2006 as a heavily discounted display model, from memory thats when they introduced the Oasis models.

I no longer have it as I never really bonded with it, in fact I was struggling to justify the cost of a 7x42Slc neu which I loved and in fact had I found the readies would probably still have.

- <This post> (I simply googled for "opticron dba" now and it is one of the first items to come up) shows DBA came with Oasis even in 2005.

- Hope you soon get an excellent 7x - maybe a better model yet to come - seems some configs. are revived these days (I found the 7x SLC heavy and? a bit narrow in view).

According to the Opticron archive the Imagic BGA PC ASF T (??) was upgraded to Oasis prism coatings in Spring 2005. The BGA Classic got it in 2004. the Verano and Countryman in 2007.

David

David, with ref. to your "??" and also posts #5-6, I recall some reviewer said O.'s marketing guys must be getting paid by the letter (I find even Victory or Conquest preferable)!

Opticron Imagic BGA SE ... Embargoing Optic A sic

Some may see Zeiss as the personalised numberplate of the bino-world ... the megalomanic black armour ... disposable objective lens covers tossed in the bin with a casual flick of the wrist ... wierd t.i.o.l.i. facial fit ... Zeiss Domination, Troubabdor will be on in a minute with his whip out :-O

Eyup Sam

If tha not careful I'll gi' thi' a clip raand earole! :-O

Lee

What does BGA SE stand for?

Buckle up folks, here comes a bumpy acronym ride...

The B in BGA on a roof prism bino means 'full field of view for spectacle wearers' but B elsewhere in our line also means roof versus Z for porro prism. See page 3 in our product guide:

http://opticron.co.uk/PDF/Product_Guide_13-14.pdf

(Note to senior management - I told you no one reads that stuff )

GA means rubber armoured (obviously cos G = gummi and A = er, armoured).

SE stands for seventh edition... but only in this case because for our orange Adventurer SE compact bino it meant special edition. Are you all keeping up with this? There will be a test at the end of this migration season.

"We choose to name binoculars. We choose to name binoculars in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard..." etc etc.

But please don't ask what the ASF T PC stuff is.... I only know the T is twist up (eyecup) and PC is phase correction. The ASF could be code for something the Russians made in the cold war and used in lens coatings.

Doubt that helps.

Cheers, Pete

P.S. Think I asked this one before but any guesses/knows what SDL stands for on our top model zoom eyepiece? Anyone?

P.P.S. And a bonus prize for anyone that can have a stab as to what our XFS tripod names were abbreviated from...

Pete, the only thing I don`t care for on the 7xbga is the shape of the eye cups, can they be changed ?, the ones on the dba are much nicer imo.

John.

Buckle up folks, here comes a bumpy acronym ride...

The B in BGA on a roof prism bino means 'full field of view for spectacle wearers' but B elsewhere in our line also means roof versus Z for porro prism. See page 3 in our product guide:

http://opticron.co.uk/PDF/Product_Guide_13-14.pdf

(Note to senior management - I told you no one reads that stuff )

GA means rubber armoured (obviously cos G = gummi and A = er, armoured).

SE stands for seventh edition... but only in this case because for our orange Adventurer SE compact bino it meant special edition. Are you all keeping up with this? There will be a test at the end of this migration season.

"We choose to name binoculars. We choose to name binoculars in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard..." etc etc.

But please don't ask what the ASF T PC stuff is.... I only know the T is twist up (eyecup) and PC is phase correction. The ASF could be code for something the Russians made in the cold war and used in lens coatings.

Doubt that helps.

Cheers, Pete

P.S. Think I asked this one before but any guesses/knows what SDL stands for on our top model zoom eyepiece? Anyone?

P.P.S. And a bonus prize for anyone that can have a stab as to what our XFS tripod names were abbreviated from...

Hi Pete

Here goes:

SDL = Super De Luxe although it might just be Sharp Detail Lenses

XFS = Xceptional Full Strength (referring to the high-tensile aluminium used in their construction)

Ta Dah!!! :king:

Lee

Pete,

ASF .... aspheric eyepiece lens, as featured in that model? Russian cold war technology sounds more exciting though.

David

Russians??? Cold War??

Clearly, ASF= Amerika Shall Fall!!! 3:)

Nice try but its Yorkshire English. Yorkshire is a county of England in the North of the country. However I watered it down a bit to make it more understandable.

For example I probably should have written 'earole' (ear hole) as 'lug-oil' (lug- hole, with lugs being a local dialect word for ears).

So a 'clip raand t' lug-oil' translates as a 'slap round the ear'.

Perhaps this language could be used to negotiate with Pres Putin, I think he would give in after about an hour's exposure :-O

Lee

We like to keep things simple so...

SDL = Super-Duper Lens (seriously - I believe it was Sarah in our service department who came up with that gem)

XFS = eXtra **rude word** Special. It had been a long day... a very long day.

Oh, and our ED-X binocular name was as close to EDG as we dared

Cheers, Pete

John - re eyecups on Imagic BGA SE 7x42. Unfortunately the eyecup assembly on that model is different to the 8x and 10x so didn't benefit from the revised, rounded edge rubber that those models got late in life.

We like to keep things simple so...

SDL = Super-Duper Lens (seriously - I believe it was Sarah in our service department who came up with that gem)

XFS = eXtra **rude word** Special. It had been a long day... a very long day.

Oh, and our ED-X binocular name was as close to EDG as we dared

Cheers, Pete

John - re eyecups on Imagic BGA SE 7x42. Unfortunately the eyecup assembly on that model is different to the 8x and 10x so didn't benefit from the revised, rounded edge rubber that those models got late in life.

At least you're honest! I admire the courage to name them like that and admit it. Unlike a few years ago Gerber came out with the nearly 15" long survival knife with the 9" blade and they called it the "BMF". They then said that stood for uh...uhm..."Basic Multi Function"..."
:eek!:

Great to start the week with a really good laugh, thanks, Pete ! :t:

The name might be close but the view is world's apart. This binocular was the biggest disappointment of my life! Trounced by similarly priced ED chin bins!

Hilarious what those acronyms stand for. I love Opticron!

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back