• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sichuan on public transport. (1 Viewer)

All the points listed by DMW seems to be required to obtain a visa in Denmark as well. By postal application it took 8 days for my passport to arrive back from the embassy.

Another quirk of Chinese visa policy:

My passport expires in April 2014. In March of this year, I applied for a 1 year multiple entry visa. I've already received one for the last four years straight, so there's no issues with the amount of prior visits or perceived need for one. But because my passport was expiring within 18 months, they only gave me a 6 month visa, even though a 1 year visa would have been within the expiry of the passport.

As far as I've experienced, China is the only contry that does this. Other countries simply issue the visa and say it's good through the life of the passport.

Another quirk of Chinese visa policy:

My passport expires in April 2014. In March of this year, I applied for a 1 year multiple entry visa. I've already received one for the last four years straight, so there's no issues with the amount of prior visits or perceived need for one. But because my passport was expiring within 18 months, they only gave me a 6 month visa, even though a 1 year visa would have been within the expiry of the passport.

As far as I've experienced, China is the only contry that does this. Other countries simply issue the visa and say it's good through the life of the passport.

You are dealing with one of the narcissistic govt's of all time.

Well - I'll be on my way to Sichuan in 9 days time, and I'm still colleting useful info. Mengbi Shan and Baxi seems to hold many of the same birds, so I'm contemplating staying for 2-3 nights in Baxi, where there seems to be accomodation available, and work the area on foot.
Is there a bus going there from Ruoergai, or should I get a taxi?
Around Baxi - which areas are best to concentrate on? Would it be worth going all the way up to the pass (if I can find transport), or is the birdlife here the same as around Balang Shan?

Jens

Both Mengbi and Baxi are Tibetan areas, which means its often quite easy to get a bed and thumb a lift - but remember you'll probably be expected to pay for any rides. At Mengbi if you stay at the last village before the pass on the Xaojin side there are great walks into the forest areas. I stayed in that village around 3 years back - they had no real accommodation, we slept on a sofa - I don't think it would be difficult to find somewhere to sleep.
Baxi is a much bigger area - but the same applies - just ask for somewhere to sleep. There's a forestry station about 10km before the pass - I think you could try staying there. I've had Snowcock on that pass - and Chinese birders have noted it as being good for Monal - but since we only bird these areas by car its difficult to judge how easy these places will be to bird. Balang is the easiest to bird high pass, but that's because there's a road going all the way up and we have vehicles and know exactly where to stop and are always looking out for roadside birds - without dedicated transport you need to stop at 2 or 3 places
1 -starting early on at the monal site
2- just over the top on the Rilong site - which is usually good for Snowcock, Snow Partridge and Grandala
3 - about 3 or 4 km down the track where the first of the shrubbery begins for Himalayan Rubythroat and White-browed Tit Warbler

Held og lykke - jeg faktisk snakker of forstaa dansk - men mit skritflige dansk er et lidt rustne - I lived in Denmark for around 15 years, for a long time just on the border in Hoyer.
all the best
Sid

Hi Sid,
it sure is a small world - I just passed through Højer on Saturday, and i reckon not much has changed since you lived there. It was one of those combined birding the marshes and going across the border to shop for a little beer and wine-trips, but with a coolish northern wind, not much was happening.
Thanks for the information on Mengbi and Baxi. I have no problem with roughing it on a couch somewhere, especially if the birding is close at hand at as interesting as I imagine it will be. I will probably focus on Baxi, as it is not that far from Ruoergai, where I will definately go anyway, and maximise my time in the field, instead of hanging out on busses.
I'll hire a taxi for one or two trips up to Balang, depending on how lucky I'll be with the weather, and probably also try to hire a taxi for the day, to do some more extensive birding around Ruoergai. First stop is going to be Emei, which doesn't seem to have been affected by the recent earthquake.
Maybe we'll run into each other somewhere along the trip, so you could get a chance to freshen up on your Danish skills.
Cheers -
Jens

is there any updates/report on your trip Jens? I'd be quite interested in your successes and failures and anything you think might be useful.

All in all I had a very good trip, where the weather for once wasn't a major issue on a Sichuan-trip. Biggest disappointment was the fact that the authorities had closed western Sichuan to foreigners, meaning that sites like Ruoergai, Baxi and Mengbishan were off limits.

I only found out about this, when I reached Songpan, and tried to buy a bus ticket to Ruoergai, and all I got was a lot of head-shaking. I went to the police station to find out, if they would open up again in the near future, and was put on the phone to someone in charge, speaking English. He said "no problem - just go to the bus station", which I did, and got the same response!!! Went back to the police station, got on the phone to the same guy, got the same answer, followed by "please come see me in CHENGDU, if there is a problem"!!!!! Chengdu is some 10 hours away from Songpan by bus.

With extra time available, I birded Gonganglin pass, west of Jiuzhaigou a couple of times, saw the Crested Ibisses at Yangxian and visited Emei Shan once more.

I'm working on a trip report, but a brief version for now wold be:

Emei Shan - Grey-hooded, Great and Brown Parrotbill, several Blanford's Rosefinches, Red-winged Laughingthrushes, Lady Amherst's Pheasant (one male seen), Temminck's Tragopan (one female seen), Slaty Bunting, Emei Liocichla and Emei Leaf Warbler.
Wolong (Sawan/Wuyipeng/Balanshan) - Golden Pheasant, Temminck's Tragopan, White Eared Pheasant, Tibetan Snowcock, Chinese Monal, Sichuan Treecreeper, Slaty Bunting, Firethroat, Golden Bush Robin, Barred Laughingthrush, Sooty Tit, Spectacled Parrotbill.
Songpan (hillside east of town) - Siberian Blue Robin, White-browed Tit Warbler, Plain Laughingthrush and Oriental Skylark.
Gonganglin (from the pass and some 20km down towards Jiuzhaigou) - Sichuan Tit, Three-banded Rosefinch, Siberian Rubythroat, Himalyan Bluetail, White-bellied Redstart and Scaly Thrush.
Jiuzhaigou (just one day, and concentrating on trails low down for Rufous-headed Robin) - Rufous-headed Robin (2 birds Kezegou valley-trail), Pere David's Tit, Tibetan Siskin,Slaty Bunting, Chinese Nuthatch and plenty of Indian Blue Robins.
Yangxian - 11 Crested Ibis, 4-5 Crested Kingfishers, displaying Chinese Goshawks.

I really enjoyed my trip, and found it to be fairly easy to get around and find accomodation, and the food was outstanding. Pointing out different ingredients in the restaurant kitchens always ended up with a tasty meal, though I quickly learned how to avoid too much chilli, when ordering.
Compared to my last visit to China, back in 1994, it seemed that the sight of a western tourist had lost much of it's novelty, and it was very easy to bird undisturbed, but I still had to do a few modelling jobs, where I had to pose with girlfriends/wives, while their boyfriends/husbands were taking our picture.

It'll probably take me a little while to finish my report, but should anyone be interested in more information, feel free to contact me

Jens

Hi Jens,
some nice birds - but it's important to emphasise that the sites you were denied access were open this year to western birders who had their own transport - even if they were out of bounds to any non Chinese nationals who were attempting to enter through public transport.
We have had, since April, 4 groups traveling through Rouergai, Baxi and Mengbi with no special problems - in fact security this year seems to be a little more relaxed - but those selling bus tickets are obviously still nervous that they can get into trouble by transporting western birders into these areas.

Hi Sid,
it was quite irritating not to be able to get any clear answers about the travel ban. I tried asking at some of the guetshouses in Songpan, and was told that there was no access, but I couldn't get an answer as to how large an area was concerned. I had thought of going down to Hailuogou Glacier Park, but was afraid, that I might be turned back there as well, as some people told me that all areas west of Ya´an were off limits.
At least it leaves me with a pretty good reason to come back.

Jens

I think west Ya'an and Wawu was and maybe still is difficult post-'quake...we binned Labahe the day after the quake on Roland's wise council but met with resistance from the local law 10 or so days later when trying to access W of Wawu...it was easier to exit there and head to Emei than have a car of 'well-meaning' law shadow our every move...that said we moved freely N of Chengdu...I guess the last thing anyone in authority wants is to have to explain any harm befalling us long noses so soon after the 'quake?

I'll be back for more too...see you on the proud highway!

McM

In my experience looking for a clear answer in situations like this is a waste of time. So much depends on the awareness/mood/flexibility of the person on the spot, regardless of the official position in Chengdu, Beijing or anywhere else.

The only viable solution is to wing it and see how far you get, be willing to lose a few days, and to have a plan B (e.g. Yunnan and Qinghai seem to be much easier).

Cheers
Mike

A guy in Songpan did give me some advice on how to get to Ruoergai with minibusses and hithchiking on lorries, but I reckoned that even if I might get there, I wouldn't know how the police would react to a western backpacker turning up.

Quinghai does seem like an alternative for the high altitude birds, though might be a little more 'hard work' on public transport than Sichuan, but with enough time on hand, I wouldn't think twice about trying.

Jens

Public transport in Sichuan

Hello,

I have one couple of french friends that made Sichuan by bus on 2009, and was easy an not problema with visa. But in some places he could,nt visit.
I will visit Yunnan by bus in novembre, then maybe I can inform you. I also want visit Suchuan in may. Probably we can share information.

Hi,

I have spent few frustrating months trying to organize a short solo visit in Sichuan, with an attempt to combine Emei Shan and Wolong. Emei Shan has not been a problem, even though its Wawu Shan extension failed, the latter apparently going to be closed in July 2014, too.

In regard to July, my contacts say that it is not possible to visit Wolong/Balan Shan in July, the rainy season. They refer to bird guide Mr. Chen. Should I give up?

Any ideas for high mountain locations close to Emei Shan or Chengdu?

It is a round-the-world private tour with a limited budget, and a goal to reach 7.000th species, with only 6 busy days in Sichuan.

By the way, the Chinese Embassy in Helsinki insists on all the nights being prebooked at hotels or guesthouses. According to my information, they decline applications with just the first night's accommodation. Furthermore, one needs to apply and collect in person, or use the service of certain travel agencies. A single entry visa therefore currently costs EUR 90.

Hi,

I have spent few frustrating months trying to organize a short solo visit in Sichuan, with an attempt to combine Emei Shan and Wolong. Emei Shan has not been a problem, even though its Wawu Shan extension failed, the latter apparently going to be closed in July 2014, too.

In regard to July, my contacts say that it is not possible to visit Wolong/Balan Shan in July, the rainy season. They refer to bird guide Mr. Chen. Should I give up?

Any ideas for high mountain locations close to Emei Shan or Chengdu?

It is a round-the-world private tour with a limited budget, and a goal to reach 7.000th species, with only 6 busy days in Sichuan.

By the way, the Chinese Embassy in Helsinki insists on all the nights being prebooked at hotels or guesthouses. According to my information, they decline applications with just the first night's accommodation. Furthermore, one needs to apply and collect in person, or use the service of certain travel agencies. A single entry visa therefore currently costs EUR 90.
you could do what I always did when in China and just turn up and see what happens. You will never get a straight answer about anything so the only way to know is see for yourself. Sometimes it worked out and sometimes it didn't. But always fun trying!

For the pre-booked accommodation, just make up an itinerary (e.g. say you are just going to be in Chengdu the entire time), book a hostel through Hostelworld or a similar site for the required dates, and when you have your visa then cancel the booking. Simple.

Thank you Chlidonias. The problems are a tight schedule and a need to score 7.000th species on this multi-destination trip. I did not anticipate Sichuan being more difficult than Solomon Islands...

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back