• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

How to keep squirrels out of flicker boxes? (1 Viewer)

mtnlvrs

Any ideas for keeping squirrels from taking over flicker boxes? Each year I clean the boxes, fill them with sawdust and cover the hole with a wooden slat.
The flickers excavate and things look good. Then the @#$%^ squirrels move in, rousting the flickres. I have done this 2-3 times in a spring, only to have the same result.

Any good ideas for preventing this would be appreciated!

dampflippers said:
...What is a flicker? I don't think w have them in the UK.

American equivalent of Green Woodpecker.

As to how to keep squirrels out, try fitting a metal plate over the hole, large enough to let the flickes in, but too small to let the squirrels in.

dampflippers said:
...What is a flicker? I don't think w have them in the UK.

The common flicker is a 12-14" woodpecker found all over the States. They prefer a 2 1/2" box opening, which unfortunately is the perfect size for squirrels too :C

You might try smearing hot pepper suet around the opening - I've used it all winter with great results - if they do try it they don't come back and it doesn't bother the birds!

amasara said:
You might try smearing hot pepper suet around the opening - I've used it all winter with great results - if they do try it they don't come back and it doesn't bother the birds!

amasara,

Sounds great. How do you prepare hot pepper suet? Or, can it be purchased somewhere?

Thanks,
elkcub

to prepare hot chilliy peper sue just get a load of suet melt it and mix in some chilli peper powder simple as them take the nestboxes down and smear on

I buy my suet at the local feed store - Tractor Supply Co. here in Ohio - it's twice as expensive $1.94 but goes 5x further!!

mtnlvrs said:
Any ideas for keeping squirrels from taking over flicker boxes? Each year I clean the boxes, fill them with sawdust and cover the hole with a wooden slat.
The flickers excavate and things look good. Then the @#$%^ squirrels move in, rousting the flickres. I have done this 2-3 times in a spring, only to have the same result.

Any good ideas for preventing this would be appreciated!
I've seen birdhouses with a tube (3" long or more) over the hole to try to prevent mammals from entering.

This interests me since I placed a house intended for flickers this winter. Its probably over 15' high and I filled it with sawdust. Flickers were common in the neighborhood several years ago, but I haven't seen any lately :C . No excavation yet.

Last edited:
amasara said:
Seriously, how do you catch the fox?

You order fox urine through a trapper's/hunter's supply store. Try the internet or the phone book. Or ask a trapper if you happen to know any.

Don't spill it....it reeks.

Scott

cavan wood said:
You order fox urine through a trapper's/hunter's supply store. Try the internet or the phone book. Or ask a trapper if you happen to know any.

Don't spill it....it reeks.

Scott

I'm NOT going to ask how they get it to urinate. Let's rethink. What's wrong with squirrels?

-elk

If it is on a pole, you could fashion a plastic bowl or one of those huge e-collars for big dogs just under the box facing the ground so the squirrels cannot climb up it. If it's in a tree, I'm afraid you're out of luck, unless you want to reach inside the nest and pull the squirrels out yourself. Not sure they'll return if you do that.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back