• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kenya 2012 and Tracktours (1 Viewer)

seedyrom

Supporter
I recently went on Birding Safari to Kenya with Jonathan Baya www.tracktours.weebly.com. YYou couldn't hope to meet a nicer man and he arranged the whole of our week's birding safari covering Nairobi NP, Amboseli, Tsavo West and Tsavo East then did all our guiding round Watamu for a week. Thoroughly recommended - good background knowledge about trees, insects etc too. Very well known round the Watamu area and highly respected.

My trip report is attached, I hope you enjoy it and book a tour with Jonathan! :)

Attachments

• Ann and Roland go birding in Kenya.pdf
    442.8 KB · Views: 295
I recently went on Birding Safari to Kenya with Jonathan Baya www.tracktours.weebly.com. YYou couldn't hope to meet a nicer man and he arranged the whole of our week's birding safari covering Nairobi NP, Amboseli, Tsavo West and Tsavo East then did all our guiding round Watamu for a week. Thoroughly recommended - good background knowledge about trees, insects etc too. Very well known round the Watamu area and highly respected.

My trip report is attached, I hope you enjoy it and book a tour with Jonathan! :)

Just a quick note for anyone thinking about a trip to the coast. I've just read a report that a group of over 100 Clarke's Weavers were seen at Dakatcha Woodland in January. Although it's a fair drive from the Malindi/Watamu area, it sounds like it would be worthwhile if you're going there. I'm not sure whether this is seasonal or whether they are there all the time in such numbers. I've missed them 5 times out of 5 at Arabuko Sokoke Forest!!

Last edited:
Thanks , Bob. Will hopefully be making my 2nd attempt in Sokoke this September ! There again , I managed to miss all the endemics apart from the scops ! Lovely place though, so happy to return .
Regards, Bill.

It is thought that Clarke's Weavers breed at Dakatcha and perhaps the nearby Galana Ranch though no nests have ever been found there or anywhere else.

Best bet for them at Arabuko-Sokoke is to be in the Brachystegia Forest (white sand soil areas) in the early morning between July and January and to look for mixed bird feeding flocks - especially those with Drongos and Helmetshrikes as the weavers tend to move around in such groups.

It is thought that Clarke's Weavers breed at Dakatcha and perhaps the nearby Galana Ranch though no nests have ever been found there or anywhere else.

Best bet for them at Arabuko-Sokoke is to be in the Brachystegia Forest (white sand soil areas) in the early morning between July and January and to look for mixed bird feeding flocks - especially those with Drongos and Helmetshrikes as the weavers tend to move around in such groups.

Hi Steve

Yes, been there, done that;). I've seen lots of flocks, all "Clarkeless". Next time....

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back