• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Collins Bird Guide - errata and queries (1 Viewer)

This is the wrong place for this discussion...

Absolutely the right place, here we have the major guide to the region choosing to impose names on the public that are not used and generally not popular. The fact that ten years after the first edition, still the names are not being used by the public suggests the move is not supported.

Loon is very similar to the word used in Denmark and AFAIR the rest of the Scandinavia, so for the British to go back to that name would make things a bit easier in cross border communication.

Sorry, but disagree.

Since we have entire languages separating us, the mere use of one bird name that has a slight resemblance is not going to aid cross-border discussions.

To ease cross-border discussions, should we also adopt Rørdrum for those birds lurking in the reeds, etc?

In fact, the fact that the major European guide has adopted names not used by most native speakers is doing the opposite, adding possibility of confusion. I report a bird, they look in the bible and find nothing.

Last edited:
I've reached the end of the plates - and found one last tiny error:

p. 407: White-throated Sparrow: 'white'striped' should read 'white-striped'

Steve,

Many thanks again for the huge effort you have put into this task. I can only hope that you have derived some enjoyment from the challenge of picking up errors that most of us will have overlooked.

I was informed on Tuesday that it was unlikely that any further corrections could be made from that point on, as the reprint was due to commence yesterday, at the Italian printing house. While I do not expect errors in distribution maps, or some of the more contentious points in the species texts to have been revisited during the past few weeks, I do hope that at least the more clear-cut typographical errors will have been corrected before the presses started to roll. Time will tell.

No doubt there will be a few typos that managed to escape the notice of even Steve, so if anyone spots anything that has not already been drawn to our attention in this thread, please let us know. It should not be too difficult to eradicate them all in future printings.

Regards,

Killian

I haven't got my first edition to hand and haven't ordered a second yet, so: on the same lines as GND/CL, is there a Bearded Tit in the guide or some other bird like a Reedling, that nobody ever talks about despite the best efforts of the infinitely logical but disastrously uncultural?

John

Dear all,

I have enjoyed following this thread for some time. I have kept quiet until now, mainly because like Killian I thought it beneficial with a free flow of proposals and ideas without interference by those involved in the book, but also since I though Killian, when he entered, handled the explanatory part excellently and needed no help.

I can confess to being a bit disappointed in myself for letting so many small but obvious typos and faults slip past my eyes and into the book. I promise to try to be more careful from now on. Perhaps we all three, Killian, Dan and I, were so deeply involved in the revision of plates, text and maps, concentrating on what we felt was new and important, that we failed a little with attention to what we regarded as details? Partly by shortage of time in the end. It is not a good excuse, we should have spotted many of the mistakes you have all helpfully listed. Anyway, thanks to your interest and time spent on this scrutiny, future printings will have less faults. Much appreciated.

I will say only a few things more. First two minor items. Minor, yes, but they illustrate how every little detail must be checked and still can go wrong or be misunderstood.

(1) Does Bee-eater breed in Denmark? There is indeed an orange spot on the map on N Sjaelland (the easternmost large Danish island), so its not just some printer's ink that is waltzing around. Facts are that a small colony bred on NW Sjaelland in 1998--2003. The species also bred elsewhere in Denmark in 2003 and in 2004 and 2008. On retrospect I think it was wrong of me to indicate breeding in Denmark as I did. Such pioneering colonies can be noted in many places and by a number of species which expand their range. The Danish attempted colonization did not really last or grow strong and should not have been shown on the map. The book states 'normal occurrence' as the meaning of the orange colour, and, although this is a borderline case, the criterion is not quite met with here. This assessment serves also as an answer to those who have pointed out that 'the Scottish breeding population' of Honey Buzzard has been overlooked. This said population seems to consist of 1 pair raising young and to this a few more pairs not successfully breeding. (The Welsh and N English breeders should have been indicated, though. And they will be! The map is already changed and will appear in hopefully improved state in next printing.) One pair can hardly be called a normal occurrence.

Related to the above is the fact that I managed to revise about ten more maps in time for this next printing. Among other things was the Icelandic breeding range of Water Rail in Iceland deleted; the species is apparently gone from Iceland now.

For future advice on the maps, which needless to say I welcome a lot, please understand that the maps were never meant to show other than main patterns and normal occurrence. Very new and small breeding populations must wait a little until entering the maps. Also, if you question the maps but are vague about it, putting question marks at the end of your complaints, etc., how can I know what to act upon? Try to be clear and limit advice to confirmed occurrences, and I will do my part in up-dating the maps when convenient.

(2) The term 'eye-bows' was proposed for this new edition by Dan to indicate NOT the eye-brows but the arch-shaped often pale feather-tracts which on owls run from side of forehead down in front of each eye and ending at gape. Since eye-brows (or supercilia) in birds just as in humans are located above the eyes, not in front of them, I thought Dan's idea was good. So it is a proposed new term in the English language, invented by a Swede! I worried a little about the possible misconception that it would appear as a typo only (not without reason, as we now know), but the very clever editor at HarperCollins ensured me that it would be OK, especially if put within citation marks (as it does appear in the book, you must admit).

The solution may be to try to fit in a head of an owl on the Bird topography page on the end papers where the term is clearly explained with a pointer. We shall see.

Finally, and sorry for so many words, still briefly also about English names. I am not prepared to here and now enter a discussion about these (but I am willing to discuss them some other time). I will only make the observation that while UK (and by all means Swedish, also) birders seem to tolerantly accept reshuffled taxonomy, new split species, new order and new scientific names to learn without an end, the learning of one new English name seems totally repulsing and is causing heated debates. What if you all took a more relaxed approach and tried to learn one or two 'forreign' or 'American' names as an experiment? Note that neither Killian nor I are insensitive to the complaints we hear and read, and indeed have reversed back to Slavonian Grebe, Pale and Yellow-throated Sparrows and Lapland Bunting in this edition. But somewhere along the path to more internationally agreed English names you may have to take a few English steps towards the other side, too, or? Think of it.

Thanks again to all who help making the book better.
Lars

I feel as a bidder when the auction is closed...
However...
There would be corrections to do in some ditribution maps involving Italy (IMHO remaining the best kept birding secret in Europe). One for all: Pygmy Cormorant is breeding in hundreds of pairs and wintering with thousands of individuals while the distribution map (p. 78) shows only the wintering range in Upper Adriatic. Breeding colonies are located in the Lagoon of Venice, the Po river Delta and the Apulian wetlands.
Pictures - Cona reserve:
http://www.sbic.it/index.php?mact=N...icleid=37&cntnt01origid=51&cntnt01returnid=80
Po Delta:
http://falcodipalude1.blogspot.com/2009/10/perle-di-delta.html
Apulia:
http://www.centrostudinatura.it/public/newsletter/35.html

Last edited:
I think the new term Eye-bows might be filling a function, but I do not think the choice of wording is good; it would have been better to choose something that would not be thought to be a typo of something else.

Niels

... I am not prepared to here and now enter a discussion about these (but I am willing to discuss them some other time). I will only make the observation that while UK (and by all means Swedish, also) birders seem to tolerantly accept reshuffled taxonomy...

There are a few threads here on BF discussing re-naming/changes to the English names of birds. Maybe one could be resurrected or a new one started (... Or on second thoughts ... maybe not ;) )

Cheers for taking the time to post. Appreciated.

Top marks to both Killian and Lars for "taking it on the chin" as it were. Lesser mortals might have regarded the criticism as being other than constructive. Top blokes, hats off to you both.

...., as the reprint was due to commence yesterday, at the Italian printing house. ....
Killian

Is that already a reprinting of the hardcover edition? Or does it mean the paperbacks (Princeton and Collins) are now being done? (With some delays, but with some fine corrections possibly already included.)

"Is that already a reprinting of the hardcover edition? Or does it mean the paperbacks (Princeton and Collins) are now being done? (With some delays, but with some fine corrections possibly already included.)"

I have not made specific enquiries, but I assume the current print-run will comprise a reprint of hard-cover Collins, with corrections, the first paperback Collins and Princeton editions as well as the first translations, if any were completed in time.

Regards,

Killian

Dear all,

I have enjoyed following this thread for some time.

<snip>

Thanks again to all who help making the book better.
Lars

Hi Lars, thanks for that posting.

Re: eye-bows, I must admit, when I saw the same term twice, I suspected it was deliberate, not a typo. I'll throw 'eye-arcs' into the mix as a possible alternative term (this has been used to describe the white face markings on Mourning Warbler, though, so maybe not an ideal solution either).

Can you post details of the other map amendments here? I'll shortly be posting a consolidated errata list, and it would be good to include them.

Steve

What's mind-boggling is that this review process (errata, typos, terminology, vernacular names...) should presumably be undertaken eventually in at least 13 other languages. :eek!:

Or perhaps English-speakers are uniquely demanding? ;)

Richard

What's mind-boggling is that this review process (errata, typos, terminology, vernacular names...) should presumably be undertaken eventually in at least 13 other languages. :eek!:

Or perhaps English-speakers are uniquely demanding? ;)

Richard

I guess there is a likelyhood that many other languages are so small that only one printing will happen ...

Niels

One more:

p. 342 African Blue Tit: "populations in Canary Is lack white wing-bar, have uniform wing" is not correct for all Canarian populations and should read "populations in W Canary Is show narrow wing bar, and those in C Canary Is lack wing-bar entirely" (degener, the population on the E Canary Is has broad white wing-bars, as broad or broader than N African ultramarinus)

Fuerteventura Blue Tit

degener, the population on the E Canary Is has broad white wing-bars, as broad or broader than N African ultramarinus
Indeed. Dietzen et al 2007 could not distinguish 'degener' from ultramarinus, and recommended treating it as synonymous.
[Dutch Birding adopted this recommendation in Jan 2008.]

Richard

Thank you to both Lars and Kilian for taking the time and interest to respond in what we know and expect - a courteous and professional manner - whilst, as always, enlightening the rest of us in the monumental task of bird identification and knowledge dispersal.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back