• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sigma 70-200 2.8 got dropped...by me (1 Viewer)

Dumfound

In my eagerness to get taking pictures i unzipped my lowepro backpack at just the wrong angle and sent my d70 and sigma 70-200 crashing to the ground.Fortunately it was damp soil and all seems ok but for a noise from the mount end of the lens when the lens is tipped upside down and back again.This happens on or off the camera body.I am not sure if this is normal or a bit of damage i have caused.Can anyone confirm either way?...Thanks in advance.

Dumfound said:
In my eagerness to get taking pictures i unzipped my lowepro backpack at just the wrong angle and sent my d70 and sigma 70-200 crashing to the ground.Fortunately it was damp soil and all seems ok but for a noise from the mount end of the lens when the lens is tipped upside down and back again.This happens on or off the camera body.I am not sure if this is normal or a bit of damage i have caused.Can anyone confirm either way?...Thanks in advance.

Just given mine a shake and there's no noises coming from it. Hope its nothing serious.

Paul

Thanks for that paul.My local camera shop said that as it is working fine it aint really bust so ignore it until it causes problems ,if at all ,so that is what i will do....the feeling of the camera and lens thudding on the ground is something i will never forget....Thanks for the reply

Dumfound said:
My local camera shop said that as it is working fine it aint really bust

I would seriously question that prognosis. I had virtually the same thing happen to a Sigma lens of mine....turned out to be broken mount clips for the zoom mechanism that keeps the internal glass in alignment.

There was no noticable effects at first, but was told that the lens groups may come apart with no warning. Cost me $100 to get it fixed at a local camera tech shop that's been repairing pro cameras for decades (same shop that evaluated my lens). Has worked perfectly for over a year since the repair, and no noises.

Kind of like driving a car with "noises". It may still go from point A to point B....for a little while, but then when you're in the middle of nowhere the entire engine goes up in smoke.

Good luck, but I'd consider having a 2nd or 3rd opinion.

-Ken

Thanks Ken.....I have decided to let sigma fix it after all,it was a constant niggle in my mind and your reply has confirmed to me that i need it sorted.I will let you know what it turns out to be....Thanks for your reply

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back