• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

URGENT: Left garage open one night into the next day and birds are nesting... (1 Viewer)

joeinaustin

I think they are Carolina Wrens based on the color and white eyebrow, but they could be something else that looks similar. They have been actively in and out of my garage for a couple days and I found the nest today. I didn't know there was one as I have been recovering from ACL surgery, but one was trapped in there the last time I shut the door and then today I saw another one fly and it landed at a nest (see attached picture).

I have been working very slowly on building the two following nests:

http://nestwatch.org/learn/all-about-birdhouses/birds/american-robin/
and
http://nestwatch.org/learn/all-about-birdhouses/birds/bewicks-wren/

I've got the pieces cut, all the supplies I need to put them together and hang them, but I haven't protected them from the outside or gotten any predator baffles or any sure locations yet.

I can't leave my garage open all the day and night so I need to figure out what I can do to move the nest into one of the boxes I am building or to another close by, but outside the garage location. to be honest, other than the piles of poop and potential hazards for the chics, I would consider removing a window pane in the garage door to give the birds ingress and egress, but I would think the garage would be like an oven for them in the sweltering summer heat.

Anyway, if anyone has experience in solving these types of issues so the birds are not harmed I would appreciate help and am able to provide prompt action and answers to questions that might help you guide me in what to do(that's the first time the ACL has come in handy since I'm at home all day recovering!).

Anyway, I appreciate any help you might be able to give.

joe

Attachments

• IMG_20160317_103313.jpg
    IMG_20160317_103313.jpg
    263.1 KB · Views: 92
I think they are Carolina Wrens based on the color and white eyebrow, but they could be something else that looks similar. They have been actively in and out of my garage for a couple days and I found the nest today. I didn't know there was one as I have been recovering from ACL surgery, but one was trapped in there the last time I shut the door and then today I saw another one fly and it landed at a nest (see attached picture).

I have been working very slowly on building the two following nests:

http://nestwatch.org/learn/all-about-birdhouses/birds/american-robin/
and
http://nestwatch.org/learn/all-about-birdhouses/birds/bewicks-wren/

I've got the pieces cut, all the supplies I need to put them together and hang them, but I haven't protected them from the outside or gotten any predator baffles or any sure locations yet.

I can't leave my garage open all the day and night so I need to figure out what I can do to move the nest into one of the boxes I am building or to another close by, but outside the garage location. to be honest, other than the piles of poop and potential hazards for the chics, I would consider removing a window pane in the garage door to give the birds ingress and egress, but I would think the garage would be like an oven for them in the sweltering summer heat.

Anyway, if anyone has experience in solving these types of issues so the birds are not harmed I would appreciate help and am able to provide prompt action and answers to questions that might help you guide me in what to do(that's the first time the ACL has come in handy since I'm at home all day recovering!).

Anyway, I appreciate any help you might be able to give.

joe

Your Wrens are unlikely to recognize their nest if it gets repackaged into a box, so you may have to make a choice.
Either close the garage and have them try again outside or maybe see if there is some way you can give them access even with the door closed, maybe through an open window.
Wrens build nests very quickly, so it is not a huge deal for them to get evicted. Of course, if they have started to lay eggs, your decision becomes much more painful.

Ok. So it's not a really big deal unless the eggs are already there. I hobbled outside and held the camera up and didn't see any eggs.

I'm wondering if I get the nest screwed together today and then put their nest inside it, but leave the front of the nest box off if they will continue to use it?

Then, tomorrow I could hang the nest under the soffit right outside where the nest is currently. Then, the following day I could put the front on the nestbox and they would have to use the hole.

Too much effort for something that isn't a big deal for them or worth the time? These guys are my very first residents so I don't mind putting some work in to make the transition easy, if that makes any sense.

thanks very much for the input.

Attachments

• IMG_20160317_120044.jpg
    IMG_20160317_120044.jpg
    212.3 KB · Views: 66
Ok. So it's not a really big deal unless the eggs are already there. I hobbled outside and held the camera up and didn't see any eggs.

I'm wondering if I get the nest screwed together today and then put their nest inside it, but leave the front of the nest box off if they will continue to use it?

Then, tomorrow I could hang the nest under the soffit right outside where the nest is currently. Then, the following day I could put the front on the nestbox and they would have to use the hole.

Too much effort for something that isn't a big deal for them or worth the time? These guys are my very first residents so I don't mind putting some work in to make the transition easy, if that makes any sense.

thanks very much for the input.

Wrens are hyper, as you've probably already noted.
The male will stuff every nest box around with twigs, hoping a female will see the real estate opportunity. If she accepts one, she'll toss out half the material and fix up a proper nest cup in the remainder. So these birds are not that wedded to the nest structure.
In your case, you're hoping the birds will stick with this nest as it gets moved a couple of times and also repackaged into a house. That is a very long shot imho, but feel free to try it. Just don't be upset if it does not pan out, Clearly you have an attractive property, so they will find some way to enjoy it.
No way to just leave a window open in the garage? Even if you have to take a pane out from the door, paper over the other ones, the wrens will find the opening very quickly.

Gotcha! Thanks etudiant.

I gave it some more thought and I think maybe just moving the nest outside in the box will be best. I can remove the window pane to give them access, but my neighbors love to get cats and let them be outdoor cats so I find them on the roof over my son's room and walking the yard all the time, when my dogs aren't out. Sooooo, the cats can probably jump thru that window opening and if they get inside the garage they have an easy climb to get to the nest. I'd feel terrible if my forgetfulness cost them their family or their own lives.

I'll get ready to move the home to the lee of the soffit over the garage door and hopefully they will like what they see. Otherwise, hopefully some birds out there will like the Cornell designs. :)

I'll post pictures of the final nesting site if it's ok to bump posts after they've sat for a week or so.

Thanks again. I appreciate your help.

Gotcha! Thanks etudiant.

I gave it some more thought and I think maybe just moving the nest outside in the box will be best. I can remove the window pane to give them access, but my neighbors love to get cats and let them be outdoor cats so I find them on the roof over my son's room and walking the yard all the time, when my dogs aren't out. Sooooo, the cats can probably jump thru that window opening and if they get inside the garage they have an easy climb to get to the nest. I'd feel terrible if my forgetfulness cost them their family or their own lives.

I'll get ready to move the home to the lee of the soffit over the garage door and hopefully they will like what they see. Otherwise, hopefully some birds out there will like the Cornell designs. :)

I'll post pictures of the final nesting site if it's ok to bump posts after they've sat for a week or so.

Thanks again. I appreciate your help.

Good luck and please keep us posted.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back