• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Guesses? (1 Viewer)

Birding5000

Saw a bird passing through the other day (NE in the US) that I hadn't seen before, I haven't seen since. I would say it had body markings similar to a chickadee, but it had a yellow head. It wasn't a goldfinch, as none of the body was yellow, just it's head. Tried looking in books and on the net haven't been able to find anything resembling this bird as of yet. As for size, I would say maybe a little bigger than a tufted titmouse. The beak was a paleish yellow.

Any guesses welcome, sorry I coudln't provide a picture or better detail as it didn't stay put for more than a few seconds.

Birding5000 said:
Saw a bird passing through the other day (NE in the US) that I hadn't seen before, I haven't seen since. I would say it had body markings similar to a chickadee, but it had a yellow head. It wasn't a goldfinch, as none of the body was yellow, just it's head. Tried looking in books and on the net haven't been able to find anything resembling this bird as of yet. As for size, I would say maybe a little bigger than a tufted titmouse. The beak was a paleish yellow.

Any guesses welcome, sorry I coudln't provide a picture or better detail as it didn't stay put for more than a few seconds.
I know there is a more logical guess than this but the only thing I could think of at this point that resembles what you saw is a Verdin

http://www.maricopa.gov/envsvc/WATER/VECTOR/birdpics/verdin.JPG

Which doesn't make any sense for the NE US.

Gentoo said:
I know there is a more logical guess than this but the only thing I could think of at this point that resembles what you saw is a Verdin

http://www.maricopa.gov/envsvc/WATER/VECTOR/birdpics/verdin.JPG

Which doesn't make any sense for the NE US.

I just had a couple more out there about 5 mins after I made my first post. I was wrong about the beak, it is black. It almost looks like a black throated green warbler, but without the black throat. As for the guess, the body is much darker, think black capped chickadee...with a yellow head.

cavan wood said:

I'm pretty sure it was the black throated green warbler. I was saying that pretty much matched it, except it didn't have the black throat, but the females don't really have one, so it sounds about right.

This isn't a pic of mine, just a quick google, but this is pretty darned close to what mine looked like, so I'm assuming that was it.

http://www.nps.gov/archive/dewa/pressea/hwaea/BGrWarbler.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back