• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Eyepiece projection with microfiche projection lens (1 Viewer)

Paul Corfield

Todays experimenting revolved around using a tiny microfiche projection lens for doing eyepiece projection onto the camera ccd. The small microfiche lens acts like a normal eyepiece on the scope and they are designed to have an incredibly flat field, much flatter than even the flattest astronomy eyepiece can deliver. After doing some research on astronomy forums I decided to purchase one and found a nice one on ebay for £20. It has six glass elements and it has only a 0.5% deviation of flatness across the whole field of view.

Eyepiece projection gives very high magnification and this is only to be used for when you need around 3X and beyond. The further you mount the lens from the camera ccd then the higher the mag.

Here's an example which is uncropped from 85m range and mag is around 4X to 5X. It's a warm day here today so allowing for some heat haze it's not bad. Sharper than I can get with other methods.

It's a method to be explored by spotting scope owners too, especially ones who have scopes that can use astro eyepieces. It will give way better results than they currently get with DSLR/T-mount methods for eyepiece projection.

Paul.

Attachments

• Micro_lens.jpg
    Micro_lens.jpg
    297.4 KB · Views: 251
How would you mount these - is it the good old Blu Tac treatment in the ext tube ?

I just used blu-tac for now. Because of the amount of experimenting I do I don't make anything a permanent fit. The microfiche lenses are small, my one is only around 15 to 20mm in dia. Also note that with any eyepiece projection type method the image will be the wrong way up. Because it's for static subjects I don't find the inverted image a problem. A prism could be used but that will deteriorate the image to some degree.

Paul.

Yeah i can why you dont fix things permanently - the amount of changes and trials you do would cost 10 x as much

So, there's a difference between a Microfche Projection Lens and a Microfche Objective Lens - but both offer increase mag when placed in the ext tube ?

Yeah i can why you dont fix things permanently - the amount of changes and trials you do would cost 10 x as much

So, there's a difference between a Microfche Projection Lens and a Microfche Objective Lens - but both offer increase mag when placed in the ext tube ?

The other is a microscope objective, not a microfiche. They work in a similar way though, they take the image and then project it onto the film plane. What is important is they capture a flat field where as nearly all eyepieces have a curved field. Other types that have a flat field are copy lenses from old photocopiers and enlarging lenses. A few years I used to have a copy lens but alas, like everything I get my hands on I took it apart. Don't know where all the bits are now though. :-O

Paul.

Ok, good - Microfiche Projection , Microscope Objective :t:

Are you expecting one type to better the other for mag. duties or do you have an open mind at this point ?

I'm also wondering whether this may benefit Fernando with his barely noticable curvature on the TS 804. He'll get a mag. increase and flat field, which is something he was trying to get, having not much luck with a decicated and more expensive field flattener

It will also be interesting to see how they stack up against the various telenegs that you've trialled over the months

I have a fairly open mind at the minute, at least until I try an enlarger lens and a microscope objective. Don't know if Fernando would benefit. The mag that these things are best for is for when teleconverters aren't enough, around the 4000mm and upwards sort of range. It's a whole new area for me though, something new to play with.

Paul.

Yes, something like that would work. I saw that one the other day and it's only the time to ship to the UK that put me off getting it. If I can't find a cheap one on ebay then I may try the Surplus Shed one. They also carry a microfiche lens for just $4 too.

Paul.

Well, I just ordered the 10x objective so I'll give it a try and report back.

Well, I just ordered the 10x objective so I'll give it a try and report back.

Shall be interesting to see how it goes. I asked Surplus Shed for a shipping quote on their Kowa Copy Lens, microfiche lens, 50mm Enlarger Lens and the 10X microscope objective. Their stuff is so cheap that if none of it works well on the scope I could sell it on for a small profit on ebay.

Paul.

Just ordered the Kowa Copy Lens, 23X microfiche projection lens, 50mm Enlarger Lens and the 10X microscope objective. Only $29.50 and the quote they emailed me for shipping was $14.97 which comes to a grand total of £27 in British pounds. This is a bargain and would have cost me a lot more buying from the UK on ebay. That lot should keep me happy when it arrives.

Paul.

microscope objective

Just ordered the Kowa Copy Lens, 23X microfiche projection lens, 50mm Enlarger Lens and the 10X microscope objective. Only $29.50 and the quote they emailed me for shipping was $14.97 which comes to a grand total of £27 in British pounds. This is a bargain and would have cost me a lot more buying from the UK on ebay. That lot should keep me happy when it arrives.

Paul.

Would you know if the larger mag microscope objectives magnify more in your experiment but introduce more curvature?? There are 40x and 100x versions too. And there is also a 4x version.

Would you know if the larger mag microscope objectives magnify more in your experiment but introduce more curvature?? There are 40x and 100x versions too. And there is also a 4x version.

At the minute I can only go by the link I posted above (4th post down) where the guy mentions that a 10X objective is about right for most applications.

I have a 100X microscope objective but it is off my daughters microscope and being a child's one the optics aren't of good quality. It gives me a rough idea that the experiment does at least work and I'd say that 100X is too powerful.

Paul.

Paul.

Have you already figured out what x mag. you will get with each of those four ? Or will you have to wait until they're mounted to know what increase you're getting.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back