• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bluetit nest possible infestation (1 Viewer)

bigbirdy

Hello

I have a low hanging bird house that was only for decoration and my ignorance told me that nothing would nest in something so low to the ground - it's at the height of about 6 feet.

However I noticed two bluetits flying in and out of the nest a couple of weeks ago. Last week around the 15-17th the nestlings must have hatched as I could hear them and seen the parents flying in and out with caterpillars. Soon after I noticed the neighbourhood cats coming close to the nest and eventually one was sat on top of the nest box. :storm:
I finally have had some success in stopping the cats approaching the nest box.

Unfortunately I have now noticed around 5-7 blowflies at the entrance of the nest. I researched this a bit and it appears this is normal and the flies drop their eggs in the nesting material and eventually they feed on the nestlings while the parents are asleep at night. They avoid doing this during the day as the parents will eat them.

What can I do about this? I guess with the number of flies there will be a lot of eggs. I have time today if you think it's a good idea to clean this nest out but what is the best way to do this and to prevent another infestation ? Do I have to wait while parents are out of the house? Where do I put nestlings while i'm cleaning the box? what nesting material should i use to refill the box?

Please give me some help as it horrors me to think those poor bluetits are getting ate alive at night :'(

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back