• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

cable release!!! (1 Viewer)

sparrowbirder

I purchased the cable release adaptor bracket a while ago,and have just got around to purchasing a cable release to go with it. An initial quick try out yesterday didnt impress me very much,bulky and unwieldy,and i cant open the the battery compartment (cp4500) is this normal or have i just set up wrong!! havent used it in the field yet,dont know if its worthwile bothering or not, seems a lot of hassle to me, the screw on the bracket seems over large too , is it best changing this!!
Ive got some decent shots so far just using the 3 sec timer,may stick with this until i can afford the remote release!!

I take it you got the Jessops bracket ?

I found the same problems, but I simply hacksawed off three quaters of the bottom bracket so that the body can fully rotate. As regards the knob, I replaced mine with an old one from a flash bracket and the battery compartment opens freely. I think the threads must all be a standard size. They are probably avaiable separately from camera shops.

I never take the bracket off the camera now. Even controlling the shutter directly I still miss shots becase the bird has turned, which was the problem I was having with the self timer. In addition to the 3 sec countdown wasn't long enough for the vibrations to stop once I'd pressed the shutter relaease button with my fumbling fingers and ten secs often missed the bird altogether.

I'd say if you have perfected the 3 sec countdown method then stick with it, but I'm afraid I couldn't do without the shutter release now.

I agree with Ian, if you have bought it gets used to using it and you will not regret it.

I still want to get a smaller screw for mine but the inconvenience is minor compared with the amount of shots you have already missed using the 3 sec timer. Set your camera to continuous shooting then you will be taking six shots in the time that you have been taking one.

Rich

useful info thanks,ill probably give it a try in the field and see how i get on!! i actually went into jessops to purchase the release,and was told id need to purchase the dedicated one £100,i had to explain to the salelesmen what i was actually doing,he didnt have a clue, thank goodness for this forum!! id probably have purchased it unless id have known

what does "continuous" mode actually mean,can you take a lot of shots before it saves to the card!! must admit the time lag sometimes can be frustrating,between taking the shot and it being saved to the card continuous sounds useful

Yep you hold down the button and the camera takes about six shoots in quick succession, which it then writes to the card. That bit takes a few seconds which seems like minutes if the bird is still posing nicely, but then you still get 6 shots or more, in the time it takes to take 2 with the 3sec timer. My camera is permanently on this setting. Just release it to stop shooting.

Rich

I leave mine on continuous too, though I find some cards and batteries write faster than others. Fully charged batteries certainly do about six shots but as they run down you may only get three at once. It's an ideal mode to capture the head in slightly different positions.

Hi Rich

If your looking for a smaller screw for your bracket,have a look through the 2nd hand quick release plates/mounting screws etc in one of the camera shops.It needs to be a whitworth thread usually 1/4inch for cameras.

Regards Stevo.

Thanks Stevo
I have tried that admittedly in only two shops, one of these was a new shop and had no old bits around.
Still looking
Rich

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back