• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

8x32 sr ga porro (1 Viewer)

Currently on UK eBay there's an Opticron 8x32 SRGA just a few weeks old (April) going for £110 ($175) 'buy it now', with case, strap, warranty + invoice from Hiltons, ends Friday. UK sale, but no harm in asking if seller will send abroad?

My glasses are pretty close fitting but unfortunately the ER is still too short for me. It's fine on the HR WP where the quality of view is comparable in my opinion, but you do sacrifice field of view.

David

Last edited:
Thanks for that David, I really fancied a pair of the SR GA (for price, size and quality) but I might have to re-think

Nick

Bryce,

I should have the opportunity to try these in a week and a half along with many other Opticron bins at a birding festival in Cape May. I will be sure to post some comments on what I get to try here in the forums.

I have just purchased a pair of these SR GA 8 x 32 and am satisfied they are a great bird watching binocular.

When compared to my Binuxit 8 x30's they are just as easy on the eye have greater close focus, less than 12 feet even with my old eyes. Sharp as the Binuxit only slightly brighter but more colour rich AOV slightly less than the Binuxit but only slightly. Weigh little more than the Binuxit approximately 575 g feel good in the hands, very quick focus.

As an aside needed a small part (cover for ID scale) and Opticron supplied part FOC and were extremely helpful, this binocular they said is no longer made but still for sale with spare parts in stock for many years to come.

What did you pay and what are your impressions of the binocular?

About 295.00 including shipping from the UK. I like the Opticron a lot and consider it one of the best values available. It's not a Habicht or SE but its performance comes very, very close especially considering the price.

Optically the 8x30 sr ga performs well (both contrast and resolution) and the edge performance is pretty good (about 85%) but the outer ring of the fov which doesn't come into sharp focus also exhibits a light blue tint/hue.

The only major "fault" I have is the ccw to infinity focus which I find problematic since all my other binos are cw to infinity. All in all I've found the Opticron to be a well made (Japanese) porro with good ergonomics and optics--just can't get used to the focus direction.;)

Steve

About 295.00 including shipping from the UK. I like the Opticron a lot and consider it one of the best values available. It's not a Habicht or SE but its performance comes very, very close especially considering the price.

Optically the 8x30 sr ga performs well (both contrast and resolution) and the edge performance is pretty good (about 85%) but the outer ring of the fov which doesn't come into sharp focus also exhibits a light blue tint/hue.

The only major "fault" I have is the ccw to infinity focus which I find problematic since all my other binos are cw to infinity. All in all I've found the Opticron to be a well made (Japanese) porro with good ergonomics and optics--just can't get used to the focus direction.;)

Steve

The Opticron reminds me a lot in appearance to the sadly long gone Swift Ultra Lite 8 x 32. It may well be an updated version of the same binocular. I sold my Swift Ultra Lite years ago in my never ending search for optical Nirvana and have regretted it ever since. The Swift, as I recall, also had the unexpected focus control but it never troubled me.

Last edited:
Please excuse the poor quality of the images but these show the eye lens size on the Opticron SR.GA 8x32. Perhaps Frank can comment on whether this is the same configuration as the Vixen?

Frank - did you get a chance to try the SR.GA at the Cape May event? I thought I'd asked Chip to bring them there but perhaps they didn't make the cut when he was packing his sample stock.

Cheers, Pete

Attachments

• WP_000515.jpg
    WP_000515.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 367
  • WP_000514.jpg
    WP_000514.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 322
I believe I tried the Vixen version of this binocular a year and a half ago. I posted my impressions on it here:

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=212301&highlight=vixen+8x32

See post 11.

Brin Best has a fascinating review of 8 x 30 porros including the Opticron 8 x 32 SR GA. at http://www.brinbest.com/id38.html. His experience was quite different ("I am convinced that Opticron’s strangely under-marketed 8x32 SR GA model is the very finest x8 binocular they have ever made").

Bryce,

I should have the opportunity to try these in a week and a half along with many other Opticron bins at a birding festival in Cape May. I will be sure to post some comments on what I get to try here in the forums.

Thanks for the link to your thoughts on the Vixen 8x32 Frank. :t:

I am looking forward to your comments on the Opticron.

I've owned the Vixen Ultima 9x63 for 14 years now and it is a good binocular for the price. It looks like the 8x32 uses the same body with different objectives and eyepieces. I have ordered one from an Australian Vixen dealer but it will be several weeks before I receive it. Opticron are not available in Australia as yet (as far as I can tell).

Andy

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back