• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

South of France (1 Viewer)

GWB77

Grafham Water Birder
I will be holidaying in the south of France in July (having driven in from UK). Certainly not a great time for birding, I know, but any suggestions of sites worth a visit (either on-route or along the south coast). Obviously the Camargue will be included in the itinerary.

Any sites for Citril Finch in the Nice to Montpellier region would also be much appreciated. Does Little Bustard still have a toe-hold in the area?

I will be holidaying in the south of France in July (having driven in from UK). Certainly not a great time for birding, I know, but any suggestions of sites worth a visit (either on-route or along the south coast). Obviously the Camargue will be included in the itinerary.

Any sites for Citril Finch in the Nice to Montpellier region would also be much appreciated. Does Little Bustard still have a toe-hold in the area?

As far as I know you have to go to the Crau or the military camp Istres for Little Bustard but some will be better placed than me...

I will have a look but I think Black Headed Bunting can be found in the area.

Pont du Gard worth a whirl as is Cendras for the Eleanoras Falcons (up to 30 in July before they head off to breed).

Many thanks for this. Pont du Gard was on the to-do-list (to visit the viaduct), so good to know I might be able to combine it with some birding.

Col de la Cayolle in the French Alps is very reliable for Citril Finch, Mark, but it's a good two and a half hours' drive from Nice. Worth a day trip though. Lots of other interest - both choughs, Golden Eagle, Griffon Vulture and a chance of Bearded Vulture.

I was at la crau in June and didn't see Little Bustard at the Peau de Meau reserve but I did bump into an english birder who told me the fields south of Aureille were good quality grassland that held LBs and good numbers of Rollers.

I posted this in the Frejus thread too which could be of use.

The salins at Hyeres should be reasonably good at this time of year. Plenty of Flamingos, good chance of Slender-billed Gulls and passage waders should just be starting to move through in reasonable numbers, Marsh Sands, Wood Sands etc.

Check this site out too for latest details, depending on how good your french is:

http://www.faune-paca.org/

The D12 between Pierrefeu du Var and Hyeres is good for Rollers and Short-toed Eagle. Heading north towards pierrefeu, cross the roundabout with the D29 and after look out for a turning on the left with a black and white square sign for D'Addario Woodwinds, Quitiviers on google maps. 50/100 metres further on, there is a rough field on the right with wires running across it. I have seen Roller here on the same wires the last two years.

There is an aerodrome also just north of pierrefeu that you can drive around the perimetre of that holds some Little Bustards, I didn't see any in June but did have Crested Lark perched on the perimetre fence. It's a military base so I was very wary of getting my telescope out. But there are several records of Little Bustard from here on Faune PACA so birders must visit the area regularly.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back