• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

First shots Pany-FZ20 (1 Viewer)

matthompson

Hi guys...Well I would be very interested in hearing nay thoughts or feelings of my first few bird snaps from my first few hours with a recently aquired LumixFZ20. The shots in my gallery were all on a dull day so unfortunately the shutter speeds were quite slow. I had a lovely composition of a greater spotted WP but he just wouldnt stay still enough in that light.

Anyway....critz of what I did get very welcome!? (see first 3 gallery pics:)

Thanks
Mat

In dull conditions I would say those are pretty good - certainly better than my own first run with that camera.

I made the mistake of buying my FZ20 in December, then had to wait about six weeks until we got a sunny bright day! And this is certainly a camera that prefers a bit of light (although I wouldn't be afraid of shooting at ISO 200 or even 400 if the light is poor - I've found the advantage you get in shutter speed outweighs any noise issues this creates).

I think the slight colour blurring on the pheasant would be cured with a faster shutter speed. The exposure on the pigeon is spot on considering you're shooting against the sky. The sparrow is looks pretty good too - the only issue there is getting closer to the bird - either from a hide, with good field skills, a teleconverter (I've got a TCON 1.7 on my FZ20) or a combination of these.

Have fun, it's a great camera and it's really opened my eyes to the fun of photography for the first time.

hornet said:
In dull conditions I would say those are pretty good - certainly better than my own first run with that camera.

I made the mistake of buying my FZ20 in December, then had to wait about six weeks until we got a sunny bright day! And this is certainly a camera that prefers a bit of light (although I wouldn't be afraid of shooting at ISO 200 or even 400 if the light is poor - I've found the advantage you get in shutter speed outweighs any noise issues this creates).

I think the slight colour blurring on the pheasant would be cured with a faster shutter speed. The exposure on the pigeon is spot on considering you're shooting against the sky. The sparrow is looks pretty good too - the only issue there is getting closer to the bird - either from a hide, with good field skills, a teleconverter (I've got a TCON 1.7 on my FZ20) or a combination of these.

Have fun, it's a great camera and it's really opened my eyes to the fun of photography for the first time.

Hey many thanks for your response....and thanks for your comments. I think I shot these on ISO200 actually, but it was very dull. From what I've read of noise I didnt think it was worth trying 400. I havent used it much yet, but today I've taken delivery of an OLY B300 and just waiting for the adapter now....Looking foward to seeing the extra reach....You don't realise how little x12 zoom is until you point it at a Sparrow huh !!!

These are hand held, and doesnt seem much of a problem...I've set the IS to mode2......How do you find shooting hand held with the TCON?? Oh and do you use the setting on the FZ > with Telephoto lens!?

I've had a quick look through your site, are these shots on the FZ? I like the Puffin shots...I'm going to Skomer soon myself, its sounds great from what I've read. Ever tried the Ramsay trips???

Thanks - I don't think you can go wrong with a good Puffin picture. It's certainly got the aahhh factor!

The camera has been a revelation to me, and I've barely digiscoped since I got it last December. All my blog photos since then have been taken with the FZ20, except I think the Spoonbill which was a seriously long way out - that was digiscoped.

I hope you enjoy your FZ20 as much as I have. It is brilliant for general photography, and so for the first time ever I've really started to take it a bit more seriously (filters, external flash - looking for a wide angle converter next!). I've used it for landscapes, holiday snaps, family portraits - sometimes I even go out for photography rather than birding.

But for bird photography, I think the teleconverter is a must. Hand shooting is no problem, although I have used a tripod from a hide. There's nothing to do with settings - just shoot as you normally would, and don't worry about the teleconverter setting.

You will need decent light, but I don't tend to have a problem unless it gets very gloomy. If light is an issue, choose a decent shutter speed and underexpose the picture a bit - you can always lift it later in Paintshop or similar.

The best thing I think anyone can do with a new camera like this is keep shooting. The FZ20 is not a simple bit of kit - it may have a fixed lens but in many respects it's as flexible but complicated as a DSLR. As I read somewhere recently, a bad photographer who takes lots of photos doesn't stay a bad photographer for long - at least that's what I'm hoping.

Matt,
I agree with Marc. Ya dun good :)

Good exposures on the sparrow and pigeon. The pheasant is a bit too hot. The beak and neckring are blown out. I also agree the shot would likely be a bit sharper using a faster speed. Pheasants are tough. That neckring against that dark plumage is a real problem, except in the best of light (and I don't mean bright light).

Good luck with the B300. It's a sweet TC. Back in the old days (3-4 years ago....lol), this baby was "IT" when it came to a TC for digitals. Don't get too excited about the added reach. It will help, but you will still have to physically get close to small subjects.

Steve

Cheers guys.....Hornet you sound a real fan of the cam, and even though I've not had it long I can see why, as yet I've havent found anything I could grumble about really.....oh there is, the Tiff's take ages to copy to the card...but I guess thats the card and the size of the file....but anyway. SMC, lol yeah I know its old know but I picked one up on ebay for £36 and from what I've read theres really not that much between it and the TCON....just hoping that adaptor arrives before the w/e:) I know what you mean about the Pheasant....but couldnt really figure what looked wrong....I will try that one again for sure:) I'll keep you posted with the progress!

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back