• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Red Rocks Marsh NNR, Merseyside (1 Viewer)

now corrected Phil and yes, extra records very welcome

from memory 27th Sept for the plover and 14th August for the Corncrake (but they are correct in the report now)

Last edited:
Great day for petrels, pity its not September!

I expect that its worth checking out sheltered inland sites this morning. I wasn't happy at getting sand in my face on the boardwalk at the widest part of the reed bed that was between me and the beach. Quite a few migrants (all below knee height) including 9 or so Willow warblers, a Chiffchaff, 4 Goldcrests, several Wheatears (on the boardwalk rather than braving the dunes) and a male Redstart* which was underneath the big Alder before making for the gardens. Overhead was obviously not that good, since being overhead was a dangerous pastime. Even so 12 redpolls (all apparent Lessers) 9 Siskin and 7 Jackdaws pushed through as well as 4 Swallows.

An idea of the wind
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z1k2E29UdXY&feature=youtu.be

Attachments

• S0022401.JPG
    S0022401.JPG
    127.6 KB · Views: 56
  • S0032402.JPG
    S0032402.JPG
    209.9 KB · Views: 65
  • S0072412.JPG
    S0072412.JPG
    219.6 KB · Views: 61
A lovely day. 74 species from 6am to 9.30

Bright clear skies and light southerly wind meant that overhead passage dominated proceeding: 340 Pink feet went NE (flocks of 167, 35, 140), 285 Woodpigeon south a handful of Swallows, 3 Tree Pipits, a Yellow Wagtail and 15 White Wagtails

There was evidence of overnight migrants plus some arrivals off the sea; 2 Reed Warblers*, 1 Sedge Warbler*, 1 Grasshopper Warbler reeling in the burnet next to the boardwalk, 18 Willow Warblers, 4 Chiffchaff, 1 Blackcap, 1 Wheatear, 3 Goldcrests (apparent Firecrest hear, but not seen sadly so it will have to wait to get on the year list) and another male Ring Ouzel which was in the dunes at 06.15

Other stuff 165 Ringed plovers in a tight flock on the beach, looking like freshly arrived migrants. The first Whimbrel* of the year was audible from Hilbre and a drake Eider again

Two of the Pink feet flocks and wind damage to the reed bed.

Attachments

• S0042528.JPG
    S0042528.JPG
    235.1 KB · Views: 66
  • S0052530.JPG
    S0052530.JPG
    114 KB · Views: 68
  • S0012424.JPG
    S0012424.JPG
    262.2 KB · Views: 68
Another day with more than 70 species. RR is a place to be at early, and today was no exception. I was late (6.30) and consequently missed seen a Hoopoe arrive, get chased over the Poplar by a Crow, then ditch on the very private golf course. Extensive and furtive searching failed to turn it up. It did reveal 3 singing Grasshopper Warblers though. A Short eared Owl was over the north shore was also new for the year as was a Greylag and a jay in the churchyard was the 2nd record.

The Pink-footed goose exodus continues - a single flock of 125 today, which overhead less strong than y'day, but still good; 127 Woodpigeons, 22 Siskin and 18 Redpolls. No increase on y'day's Acro count, but 6 Chffichaffs and 8 Willow Warblers were fresh in. 3 Tree pipits went south, up to 45 White Wagtails on the beach and 25 Wheatears, 5 of which were Greenlandish.

Two Little Egrets over were the first for some time and the Water Rails are still present.

Managed to visit Red Rocks NR finally and was very impressed! Got there about 6pm and at least 6 Sedge warbler easily, 1 Blackcap, 1 Whitethroat, quite a few Skylark, 7 Mallard Drakes what must have been 2 Water Rails squealing. Quite a few Chiffchaff too. A very shy "Blackbird" flew from the dunes and onto the golf course. I cant remember much else.

Whitethroat is the 1st of the year Himalaya. Hoping the Water Rails will breed again.

3 Sedge Warblers, 3 Reed Warblers, 3 Grasshopper warbler and 3 Tree Pipit early this morning, no Hoopoe but 135 White wagtails early. I may go back after I've chivied the kids out.

Whitethroat is the 1st of the year Himalaya. Hoping the Water Rails will breed again.

3 Sedge Warblers, 3 Reed Warblers, 3 Grasshopper warbler and 3 Tree Pipit early this morning, no Hoopoe but 135 White wagtails early. I may go back after I've chivied the kids out.

i had white throat on saturday night, it's the pic in the gorse bush on my FB page,

i had 2 grashopper warblers singing in the same gorse bush yesterday morning shortly after i bumped into you:t:

They are still giving it loads this morning (the Groppers). Greenshank also through this am - went along the north shore and was picked up at RR.

Oh dear you have ruined my first of the year for a patch! Mine was on the gorse as well. I did nt think Whitethroat were keen on gorse for some strange reason.

I never got any groppers.....

i had white throat on saturday night, it's the pic in the gorse bush on my FB page,

i had 2 grashopper warblers singing in the same gorse bush yesterday morning shortly after i bumped into you:t:

Blustery and cold this morning, so unsurprisingly not a lot happening. There was a Willow warbler moving through, one Grasshopper Warbler still in good voice 31 White wagtails on the beach... and that was about it (besides the Acros and Chiffchaff on territory).

Offshore seabirds were moving in good numbers 15 Manx Shearwaters, 175 Gannets, one Little Gull, two Red-throated Divers and plenty of auks. - Razorbills still outnumbering Guillemots c 5:1

Another grim day, but actually quite a lot of birds arriving (probably 30-40) Willow Warblers, Whitethroat, 5 Blackcaps and 3 Tree Pipits. 15 White wagtails on the beach.

Redpolls continue to flummox me. Several parties though today, none of them looked large, but I snapped one and was a little surprised to see a nice white arse.

Attachments

• S0402704.jpg
    S0402704.jpg
    191.6 KB · Views: 60
  • S0452734-003.JPG
    S0452734-003.JPG
    341 KB · Views: 934
The birds that move offshore - how far are they from Red Rocks? I think I will visit again this weekend - is it the peak time of migration now? Ideally would love to get a Cuckoo and Tree Pipit - both firsts for me. It would be nice to see some Redstarts, Whinchat, Yellow Wagtails, all the Warblers and any sea birds as well.

The weather is not looking great this weekend, but it is peak Tree Pipit time. 99 out of 100 are flyovers though. The seabird passage is about 3/4 of a mile out usually, so you need a scope.

The best strategy is usually to visit Red Rocks very early, and then check on the Meols/Leasowe area where migrants are more likely to stick and accumulate during the day. Its better for Cuckoo there too.

Thanks for that! A Tree Pipit flying over would be enough for me. I was looking at the forecast says Sunday will be dry?

The weather is not looking great this weekend, but it is peak Tree Pipit time. 99 out of 100 are flyovers though. The seabird passage is about 3/4 of a mile out usually, so you need a scope.

The best strategy is usually to visit Red Rocks very early, and then check on the Meols/Leasowe area where migrants are more likely to stick and accumulate during the day. Its better for Cuckoo there too.

Primaeval Light, light Southerly winds and occasional drizzle, resulted in a big drop of migrants. Blackcaps predominated, with a conservative 40 though by 7am, including 6 in the tiny apple tree in the nursing home garden. Birds were still arriving late morning and along a broad front (well as far as Hoylake prom which is as far east as I've been today). There were two additional Grasshopper warblers to the resident one, which is still belting it out at the south end of the marsh, inland of where the boardwalk stops. Sedge Warblers were up to 5 singing birds, and several more were seen sneaking in off the golf course (perhaps 10 in total) and 3 Whitethroats too. Willow Warblers were probably just outnumbering Blackcaps - or perhaps were just more showy.

There was little or no overhead passage but 45 or so White wagtails were sharing the saltmarsh with 10 Greenland Wheatears (still no Whinchat). 9 Whimbrel crossed to Hilbre, as did and early audible, but invisible Common Sandpiper (new for the year and quite scarce here)

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back