• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hawke Frontier ED: another open bridge ED bin from China (1 Viewer)

"Birdwatching" magazine in the UK (January issue) has a review of the Hawke Frontier ED 8x43. It rates them very highly, giving them practically top "marks" for Design & Ease of Use, Optical Rating, and Value for Money. The reviewer mentions a little edge softness and the "halo" effect, but says these can be easily dealt with by re-positioning the eye (I´ve no idea how this resolves edge softness). He also says they felt a little heavier than others in the same class, which is odd, because the specs say they´re even lighter than the Zeiss FL 8x42. They´re now available from some sites in the UK for 280 sterling.

Never mind £280, how about £219 on eBay UK? Go to 'Photography' then to 'Binoculars', and type in 'Hawke Frontier 8x43 ED'. Just one seller presently, who has 9 left, and you can choose black or green. Has to be worth a look... Oh, and the 10x are £229...

Last edited:
Update on Hawke 8x43 ED Frontier on eBay UK: now relisted from 'BIN' (appropriate!) to a starting price of £219. I got in while it was a 'buy it now' for £219...

Latest update on Hawke 8x43 ED on eBay UK: it's now gone back to 'buy it now' at £219 which is good news, with 10 available, ending in 9 days. Bag a BIN...

"If I mention binoculars, it's just an optical allusion". (JB)

Last edited:
Hawke 8x43 Frontier ED arrived this morning. First impressions: hard case and half-case excellent; strap too long and garish for my taste (3x silver 'Hawke' emblazoned on black, so I'll fit a more discreet Op/Tech one instead); ocular/objective caps okay, but I have seen better; binocular nice to hold, not quite as comfortable as my Pentax 8x36 HS, but still better than most; build quality impressive, solid feel and fine detailing; opted for the green body, which is Swarovski-esque; focus is slow, but I quite like that, and it's very smooth, neither stiff nor loose; view is somewhat brighter than the Pentax HS, although sharpness seems about the same to my old eyes, perhaps a smidgeon better. So, having paid £90 (as new) for the Pentax HS and £219 (brand new) for the Hawke ED, my Hawke is probably not twice as good as my Pentax, but they were both absolute bargains. For those of you with better eyesight than mine, the benefits of the Hawke may be readily more apparent. I'm delighted with both. Oh, and my Hawke was supplied by the so aptly named Hawkins Optical of Northampton...

Yes, Pentax range is actually good overall: the low end is not poor, but the high end, except for ED, is a bit less than spectacular. Very comfortable, easy to get used to.

And this strap thing is a funny thing. Why spend all that money on a case I never use, but give me a garish or cheap strap? The straps are not that costly.

And this strap thing is a funny thing. Why spend all that money on a case I never use, but give me a garish or cheap strap? The straps are not that costly.

The case comes with a holster which is handy. And I keep my bins in the case when they're not in the field (it helps when they fall off the shelf or get thrown in the back of a car).

The strap may be a little garish but it is actually very well made and quite comfortable. Though long, which some people don't like, but it works great for "sash" or "bandolier" style carry of a bin that I prefer. One of the better straps I've seen on a bin.

Bushnell are the only other that make straps this long (but they aren't quite as nice quality). Clearly they learned about long straps from Leica ;)

I will keep the Promaster case, seeing where it will fit. I like the soft cases. But I took the strap off the case. The belt holster...well...I am not going to wear it.

I like the nice all black look of the Promaster. Why try to copy some Austrian product?

I will keep the Promaster case, seeing where it will fit. I like the soft cases. But I took the strap off the case. The belt holster...well...I am not going to wear it.

I like the nice all black look of the Promaster. Why try to copy some Austrian product?

People other than Swaro make green bins ;)

The holster is handy when you are in tough terrain and you want the bin accessible but you want it restrained so it doesn't hit you. Hunters will probably use it more than birders but if you watch acciptors (or owls or other woodland raptors) you tend to need to run. Well I do.

While I was fitting an Op/Tech strap to the Hawke ED, my wife came home unexpectedly early and caught me 'in flagrante delicto'. "I see you've bought yet another binocular" she said laconically. That was it; no threatened divorce, no wailing or gnashing of teeth, just that pithy remark. Well, I made her a coffee, filled the dishwasher, and took her out for an Italian meal. It was the least I could do. Now I can openly flaunt the Hawke and not worry about hiding it in the wardrobe... When I ordered a green one, I was a little concerned it might be as bright as some of the illustrations I'd seen on websites, but I needn't have worried because it's more a sombre slate-grey/green, quite tasteful really. I've made a sort of half-promise that I won't buy any more binoculars (fingers crossed) to placate my better half. The Hawke seems so good that I may even be able to honour that verbal 'compact', although I was careful not to have it evidenced in writing...

Kevin, You'd need a Hawke to follow accipiters, or maybe a Swift Kestrel? And is that a Liver Bird you've got there? Looks familiar: I know of two, just 20 miles from here...

Kevin, You'd need a Hawke to follow accipiters, or maybe a Swift Kestrel? And is that a Liver Bird you've got there? Looks familiar: I know of two, just 20 miles from here...

Yeap, bird appropriate bins are always a good idea ;)

And that is a Liver Bird. Not listable until those two start breeding ...

Last edited:
James, I was off the hook when my wife bought some trivial thing, I think it was an 800 dollar dryer.

I introduce you to my concept of Bino-Bucks
http://www.birdforum.net/showpost.php?p=1380867&postcount=326
my bino bucks sometimes spend a few months just sitting in an envelope. Otherwise someone will spend them on useful things.

Perhaps your wife will understand these fine concepts. Mine just says I have to sell some, I can't keep them all.

Those Liver Birds should be on the List. In March last year one of them (which?) laid a silver egg ten feet high, the first time in 97 years, although I'm not sure it's hatched yet. All part of the 'Liverpool 2008 European Capital of Culture'. As to 'bino bucks', I agree wives should get their priorities right: binoculars are 'necessaries' (in legal terms). But then, I don't have my hair and nails done every week, or have countless handbags bulging from the wardrobe. But it is time I divested myself of dozens of cameras stored all over the house, now that I've switched to digital (Canon G9) and maybe I should try to rationalise my binocular collection...

Wait, the Promasters now come with a holster like the Hawkes?

I wish I could pick up one of those holsters as an aftermarket accessory. They really worked quite nicely with the Meoptas for instance.

Wait, the Promasters now come with a holster like the Hawkes?

I wish I could pick up one of those holsters as an aftermarket accessory. They really worked quite nicely with the Meoptas for instance.

That was my mistake ... following up on Tero's comments on the Hawke case and strap (I forgot he doesn't have one ...).

The Hawke has the holster.

The Promaster has the repellant coatings.

;)

Never mind £280, how about £219 on eBay UK? Go to 'Photography' then to 'Binoculars', and type in 'Hawke Frontier 8x43 ED'. Just one seller presently, who has 9 left, and you can choose black or green. Has to be worth a look... Oh, and the 10x are £229...

Thanks for pointing these out James - just ordered some. Bargain!

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back