• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Pale yellow small bird, Sussex, UK (1 Viewer)

Rasmus

We spotted this visitor yesterday, approx same size as blue tit. We can't find any clue to what it is. Any idea?

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    553.7 KB · Views: 56
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    433.8 KB · Views: 88
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    510.9 KB · Views: 115
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    362.3 KB · Views: 64
We spotted this visitor yesterday, approx same size as blue tit. We can't find any clue to what it is. Any idea?

Welcome to Birdforum Rasmus, I believe it is a Blue Tit but it has some sort of aberrant plumage ( there will be a scientific name for this which others will hopefully provide). It’s a sitting duck for a passing Sparrowhawk though:eek!:

A mutant poecile.....

Cheers

First post from a new member and you write the above ? why couldn't you answer like R P, odd coloured blue tit would have done so the person has some clue as to what you are talking about ffs.

Seriously makes my blood boil when a new member's first post is answered in latin, sputnik, or some other nonsense?

"Purile" try that one.

I'd say it isn't a leucistic Blue Tit (or an otherwise abberant plumaged one?)

Gaining a strong black tail with white outer tail feathers and similar wings seems at odds. Plus the bill appears too wrong - stouter seed eating type.

An escaped small Canary/Finch/Cagebird type?

Welcome to BF Rasmus :t:

Last edited:
Hi Rasmus and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators.

As Richard says, it appears to be a Blue Tit and I think it has some form of leucism, which you can read more about HERE in our Opus Dicationary.

I hope you enjoy your time here with us. I love Sussex, but have more knowledge of the West area around Bognor.

Cross-posted with nearly everone LOL.. @Dan... he could very well be right too!!

First post from a new member and you write the above ? why couldn't you answer like R P, odd coloured blue tit would have done so the person has some clue as to what you are talking about ffs.

Seriously makes my blood boil when a new member's first post is answered in latin, sputnik, or some other nonsense?

"Purile" try that one.

I tend to respond to the images not the OP as was in this case, certainly no offence intended, unlike in your case...did you forget your medication this am?

Thanks everyone!

I saw a very pale blue tit a while back (clearly a blue tit though) so initially thought this was another one even paler - but couldn't get the black and white pattern on wings and tail to fit.. A mutant of some sort then!

Thanks everyone!

I saw a very pale blue tit a while back (clearly a blue tit though) so initially thought this was another one even paler - but couldn't get the black and white pattern on wings and tail to fit.. A mutant of some sort then!

Genetic mutation/throwback.

Interesting the pattern fits to Long-tailed Tit ... almost a perfect hybrid scenario except for structure ;)

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back