• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Carrion crow making a clonking sound (1 Viewer)

neil_f

Today on the Isle of Lewis off the northwest coast of Scotland I heard a clonking sound consisting of two clonks close together in time, and then a gap, and then lots of repeats. At first I thought it was made by metal, and I wondered whether perhaps a dog had been left outside and had become stressed and was banging something or pushing it about, maybe his bowl. It certainly sounded like metal. Then I realised it was coming from one of two carrion crows perched on the concrete or stone structure atop the church here which looks as though it probably once contained a bell. (It doesn't contain a bell now, and as far as I know it hasn't for years, so this isn't a case of a bird imitating a sound that emanates from that place every week. Still, there was something very striking about the bird making a metal-like sound in that location.)

Can someone tell me more about what was going on? Only one of the two birds was making this sound, and it was moving its wings when doing so. The other wasn't making any sound I could hear.

(This is my first post here, and this seemed like the most appropriate forum. If I should have put it instead in a local or some other forum, please can a mod advise accordingly. Thanks!)

Neil

Last edited:
Today on the Isle of Lewis off the northwest coast of Scotland I heard a clonking sound consisting of two clonks close together in time, and then a gap, and then lots of repeats. At first I thought it was made by metal, and I wondered whether perhaps a dog had been left outside and had become stressed and was banging something or pushing it about, maybe his bowl. It certainly sounded like metal. Then I realised it was coming from one of two carrion crows perched on the concrete or stone structure atop the church here which looks as though it probably once contained a bell. (It doesn't contain a bell now, and as far as I know it hasn't for years, so this isn't a case of a bird imitating a sound that emanates from that place every week. Still, there was something very striking about the bird making a metal-like sound in that location.)

Can someone tell me more about what was going on? Only one of the two birds was making this sound, and it was moving its wings when doing so. The other wasn't making any sound I could hear.

(This is my first post here, and this seemed like the most appropriate forum. If I should have put it instead in a local or some other forum, please can a mod advise accordingly. Thanks!)

Neil

Hi Neil,
This seems a perfectly appropriate place to ask your question. I suspect the birds in question might be Ravens rather than Carrion Crow. Ravens have one of the widest vocal repertoires of any bird, and seem to spend a lot of their time just "mucking about". They are very long-lived, so it's possible the bird was imitating the bells, but it could also just be a random sound an individual has developed.

I also suspect they are Ravens. Do you even have Carrion Crows on Lewis? When I see crows in the northwest of Scotland it is usually the Hooded Crow, which is easy to tell apart from a Raven with all the grey.

However I've never been to Lewis yet. Must be a fantastic place!

Last edited:
Hi Neil,

While it's certainly a good idea to consider whether these birds might have been ravens, personally I wouldn't rule out crows either as I've occasionally heard them produce metallic sounds too. When I've observed this, it was usually one crow sitting somewhere and apparently calling to another one nearby, and not actually very loudly.

Bergmann/Helb/Baumann in "Die Stimmen der Vögel Europas" note that crows and rooks use a wide variety of sounds for intra-group communication, and that there's a certain powerful metallic "clong" sound that's typical for raven.

Regards,

Henning

Hi Neil,

While it's certainly a good idea to consider whether these birds might have been ravens, personally I wouldn't rule out crows either as I've occasionally heard them produce metallic sounds too.

I have too, though not very often. The note is reminsiscent of, but different to the pronounced bell sound that Ravens make. I got very used to hearing that in Wales.

Assuming they're all-black, they have to be Ravens - as YuShan reckons, there's no Carrion Crows on Lewis, only grey-and-black Hoodies :t:

PS Neil, welcome to Birdforum!

Going off at a tangent but a few days ago I heard a quiet quacking over my garden and looked up expecting to see a couple of Mallard but the culprit was a Common Buzzard making a 'quack' every couple of seconds.

Anybody else ever heard this?

Steve

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back