• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lesbos lizard? (1 Viewer)

glaciermint

Having just said 'hello' I'm already on the scrounge!

In Lesbos May 06 I was OK with the birds (ooh er missus!) but have struggled with this lizard using my more general wildlife guides.

I'm diffidently thinking juvenile Balkan Green Lizard but structure doesn't look like an immature.

Comments from the reptile experts will be greatly appreciated (assuming I've attached the pic correctly!)

Attachments

• 23.5.06.jpg
    23.5.06.jpg
    130 KB · Views: 140
Well, since Psammodromus species only live on the Iberian peninsula, I can rule them out immediately. I checked all the pictures on www.herp.it/ under Lacertidae (even the Psammodromus, just to double check). I didn't find a matching picture, so I checked the lizard key in my book (Reptiles & Amphibians of Britain and Europe, Collins Fielad Guide) and I came up with a Green Lizard, in this case a Balkan Green Lizard (Lacerta trilineata), and a very cute one! It looks a bit big for a juvenile, how big was it?
Hope I was able to help.

Thanks to all for taking the time to reply. Balkan Green Lizard it is then. I'm only just beginning to realise how variable lizards and snakes can be! My general wildlife guide books just show an all over bright green fella.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back