• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Local Patch (1 Viewer)

brianfm

Botanical Birder
I know many of you have local patches that you keep an eye on for the wildlife. I must admit I feel I have neglected mine a little recently having not been out for too many local walks since the beginning of the month. As it was the last day of January I thought I would take a look as I walked back from the shops (sorry Bill I am not looking to take your caption;-)) I have come to know my patch really well over recent years. It ain't wonderful countryside, but it has its fair share of habitat. Not having a lot of time I skipped the lake today. I was especially on the lookout for Nuthatch, Goldcrest and Bullfinch, none of which I have on my year list so far this year but all birds I have seen around this time of year over the past two winters. No luck with the Nuthatch or Goldcrest, but I was rewarded for a careful search with a stunning male Bullfinch near the end of the walk in the exact same bushes as I have seen it over the last two years. A very good way to end January.

At the start of the walk I had walked into a flock of Long Tailed Tits on the boundary of the churchyard. I think if I have learnt anything over recent years it is to get to know your patch well and you can bet on being well rewarded. I have become amazed at just how many species of bird I find.

I am exploring someone elses patch tomorrow for Lesser Redpolls. I will let you know if I find them.

Cheers

Hi Brian.
You are quite right about local patches. A few years ago I went out every week with two mates, one of whom insisted on taking his car because he claimed it made managing his disability easier. How on earth he worked that one out when I was offering to take my car and do the driving. There's nowt so queer as folk.
Because he was 'in charge', we used to go across to the coast, down to Rutland, basically anywhere but local. In about 5 years I visited Potteric Carr rarely, which I could be faulted for because I had transport. I think it used to be that one long day per week was enough.
I think it's very obvious what I now think of Potteric and I visit quite regularly. It has truly become my local patch; within 15 minutes of home. So yes, as you say, one should never ignore one's local area, 'the grass isn't always greener'... etc.

All the best Bonny Lad.
Baz.

Hi Brian,

It's OK, I can't really 'patent' that can I, everybody 'comes home from....' somewhere or other.

I'm afraid that I've been neglecting MY local patch in recent times, but not surprising. The heyday was when the dog(s) went for walks twice a day and there were uncut hedges and cows grazing and lots of trees and brambles etc. Now it's just a few hedges cut to 3-4ft high, cleaned of brambles and other 'weeds', trees cut down, no cattle, larger barer arable fields and the last year the chicken batteries opened up so that where the dogs used to run there are now a couple of thousand 'free-range' chickens! I need a new patch!

Bill.

"Neglect" may be too strong a word, guys? Taking something for granted is nothing to be ashamed of, indeed, with humans it is to be expected. The good thing about a "local patch" is that no matter ho long you leave it, it is pretty much still "there". Go exploring in areas you haven't. I do most of my birding in my local patch, and I originally went with the attitude "ah sure I bet I see nothing good". I love it when I'm wrong (but not in general, you understand)!

Hi Brian,
As far as local patch is concerned, I'm lucky enough to have Forest Farm nature reserve on my doorstep.
The beauty of a "local patch" is being able to go Birding regularly especially when time or iffy weather is an issue.

That's the wonder of wildlife, there's always something to see.

Good luck with the Lesser Redpoll, look high in the Alders

Hi Brian,
Thanks for 'showing' me your local patch. Hmmm, I think I'll have to try and find one of me own!
Well done with the Bullfinch, one of the many birds I've yet to see. I love LTT's and I've been lucky enough to see 3/4 in the garden in the last two winters. Good Luck with the Redpolls,(had one of those on my feeders, very briefly last winter) look forward to your report about them.
All the Best to You Brian,

Hi all.

Well my visit to my friends garden was a success! A Lesser Redpoll on the feeders, not the regular 4 or 5 but one did me nicely. Added bonus was 2 male Blackcaps. Both species new ones on my year list. During our watch a Grey Heron flew over the garden too. Lots of Blue, Great and Coal Tits, Chaffinch, pair of Robins, Dunnocks, Blackbirds, and Greenfinch. A nice lunch and good company too as we were watching! ;) The garden is a park in comparision to my own.

Cheers

PS Cut hedges! Bill, the council around these parts appear to employ a special squad to destroy hedges! They do it in the name of tidyness, but have not got a clue. Some of my neighbours are little better. Several of them appear to think gardening is destroying anything before it grows over a foot in height!

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back