Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

They are gettin BRAVE

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average.
Old Sunday 1st May 2005, 22:21   #26
tugboatphil

Gosh, it never even occurred to us that it might not be a good spot. We just put it out and they went right to it. We also have one that is below the level of the top of our rhododendron bush. It's kind of in a bowl area. The females like it a lot, as they can kind of hide in there while the males are battling for turf.

Here's the item I previously mentioned for keeping ants off. Sorry, but my "Green Stamp" camera doesn't have very good resolution for close ups. It is made by Perky Pets.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ant guard.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	32.4 KB
ID:	20298  
Old Sunday 1st May 2005, 22:48   #27
humminbird

Quote:
Originally Posted by tugboatphil
Gosh, it never even occurred to us that it might not be a good spot. We just put it out and they went right to it. We also have one that is below the level of the top of our rhododendron bush. It's kind of in a bowl area. The females like it a lot, as they can kind of hide in there while the males are battling for turf.

Here's the item I previously mentioned for keeping ants off. Sorry, but my "Green Stamp" camera doesn't have very good resolution for close ups. It is made by Perky Pets.

Sorry. Didn't mean to jump all over you. All of the indications I am getting in my work point toward keeping feeders and, as much as possible feed plants, in the open where these birds can see them easily and, more importantly, where they can see avian predators easily and get out of the way. I have three feeders active right now - one under shade and two in the open. Today I walked right up to the one under shade and startled a little male on it. I don't know who was surprised more - he or I , since there is "never" a bird on that feeder. The others are in use all the time.

Mark
Bastrop, TX
Old Monday 2nd May 2005, 17:50   #28
crickieheather
Hummer-crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by humminbird
Sorry. Didn't mean to jump all over you. All of the indications I am getting in my work point toward keeping feeders and, as much as possible feed plants, in the open where these birds can see them easily and, more importantly, where they can see avian predators easily and get out of the way. I have three feeders active right now - one under shade and two in the open. Today I walked right up to the one under shade and startled a little male on it. I don't know who was surprised more - he or I , since there is "never" a bird on that feeder. The others are in use all the time.

Mark
Bastrop, TX
I have three feeders. and just a week ago, finally got some hummers coming. There are three female ruby throats. One feeder is out in the sun (NE side), one is window mounted (SW side), and the third is one of those glass hanging feeders hanging under the eaves of my apartment (NE side also). One female prefers to use the one in the sun, one of them likes the window mounted one, and a third likes the red glass one. Only one of the three feeders is actually out in the open. The window mounted and the glass one have a limited, if any, view of the sky. I have even seen the NE female at the SW feeder.
Old Tuesday 3rd May 2005, 01:25   #29
wings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cris
WOW why is the smallest bird one of the most brave? I went out to the feeder to check for ants and i hear hummmmm sure enough a hummer not 12 inches away from my face. after that i brought a chair outside and a few minutes later hummmmm but this time it wasnt at the feeder IT WAS TRYING TO LAND ON MY HEAD it was so close i could feel its wings touch my hair that is COOL. Do they do that to anyone else??? Why are they so interested in people???

COOL COOL COOL COOL COOL COOL COOL COOL COOL
________

Indeed they can be brave. They've buzzed me when I watered my backyard plants. Probably wanted a spritz bath. Anyway, I just got back from the "hummingbird capital of the world" (SE Arizona). Here are some pics.
Photo 1: Black-chinned hummer.
Photo 2: Broad-billed hummer
Photo 3: Broad-billed hummer
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Black-chinned hummer_resized.JPG
Views:	128
Size:	165.6 KB
ID:	20388  Click image for larger version

Name:	Patagonia Preserve Broad-billed hummer_resized.JPG
Views:	128
Size:	104.5 KB
ID:	20389  Click image for larger version

Name:	Patagonia Preserve Broad-billed hummer_rresized.JPG
Views:	116
Size:	119.8 KB
ID:	20390  

Last edited by wings : Tuesday 3rd May 2005 at 01:28.
Old Monday 9th May 2005, 00:54   #30
cfagyal

Quote:
Originally Posted by wings
________

Indeed they can be brave. They've buzzed me when I watered my backyard plants. Probably wanted a spritz bath. Anyway, I just got back from the "hummingbird capital of the world" (SE Arizona). Here are some pics.
Photo 1: Black-chinned hummer.
Photo 2: Broad-billed hummer
Photo 3: Broad-billed hummer
Wings: I would claim that the hummingbird capital of the world is Tandayapa in Ecuador, where you can see more species in 15 minutes at their feeders than have ever occured in Arizona :) I had 17 species in 15 minutes there last September and 20ish species for the 4 days I was there. Add to that the ones I saw at Yanacocha and Guango and Bellavista and I believe I got 30-35 in my week in Ecuador...pretty spectacular place..so much so i'm going back for a 3rd time in November.

Arizona is defintiely the hummer capital of the US though :)
ABA List: 474
Minnesota: 292
Ecuador: 394
Costa Rica: 395
Brazil: 428
Old Monday 9th May 2005, 02:59   #31
Katy Penland

Chris, sorry to be so late rejoining the discussion, but thanks sooooo much for all the technical detail on your photographic set-up. I've already copied your posts and filed them away for a day when I can take the time to do some serious shooting. Most of what I shoot, especially in the yard, is opportunistic and for documenting species -- i.e., totally utilitarian, not an ounce of artistry to be found. LOL! But as I say, one of these days...

BF Supporter 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2010 2014 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: