• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Night bird in Toronto (1 Viewer)

CuriousBirdNerd

Hey all. The last few nights coming home from work around 9pm I've been hearing what I thought was the call of a peregrine falcon. Last night how ever I saw two birds swooping around the Victoria Park and shepherd area and one landed. It was definitely not a peregrine.

It was very dark, but I would struggle to say it was a grey or grayish blue color, around the size of an American robin or a little smaller, not as round as a robin though.

Any ideas?

I have heard Kestrels in the evening and always wondered why they were calling out in the dark.

There has been lots of observations of Merlin around Toronto lately according to Ebird. That would fit with a relatively small bird and greyish. However, whether they would be flying when you saw them or whether the sound and what you saw was product of the same bird seems uncertain, so take all of this with a grain of salt.

Niels

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back